A Norm Recruiting Poll: How'd We Do?

If 1 is we totally screwed the pooch and 10 is we knocked it clean out of the park, rank how we did in the portal and recruiting this time around.  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Rank the roster turnover/replacements where 1 is total disaster and 10 is we assembled a Final Four caliber roster.

• 1. Totally. Screwed. The. Pooch. Lost our only good players to graduation and the portal. Did not find anywhere near suitable replacements. Talent level is substantially lower than last year's bad team. This looks like Hoiberg's worst roster and we'll be lucky to log 5 wins.
    • 2. It's bad, man. Lost way more to the portal and graduation than we gained. We'll backslide for sure this year. Maybe 5-7 wins.
    • 3. It's bleak. Not optimistic. Did not find quality players for the players we lost. Looking like an 8-10 win season.
    • 4. Not terrible but nowhere near good. Lost too much to portal and graduation and the portal was unkind in return. Some of the new guys have potential, but we're overall not as talented as we were last year. Guessing 11-13 wins.
    • 5. We did OK, but only OK. We have returning talent but we didn't find any real position upgrades and the big needs at Center and PG look marginal. Maybe 14-15 wins.
    • 6. Not bad. Bring back some talent. Didn't lose our best players to anything but graduation. Found replacements for the important pieces who could be alright. But probably not much better than a year ago. Maybe 16 or 17 wins. Possible NIT team.
    • 7. Y'know, I'm not elated but I'm satisfied. We kept our best players who didn't graduate. We added suitable replacements for the guys who did graduate. And we upgraded the overall talent. This is looking like an NIT team. 18 or 19 wins.
    • 8. Yeah, we nailed it. We kept the best players who still had eligibility. We found more than suitable replacements for the guys who graduated. We've upgraded the overall talent level and added some important depth. This is looking like an NCAA-caliber roster. 20-21 wins.
    • 9. Dang. It. Huge upgrades across the boards. I can't even believe it. We are LOADED. This is a team that can reach the 2nd weekend of the Big Dance. Sweet 16, baby! 22-24 wins!
    • 10. Apparently, I died and went to Heaven during the off-season. Or I'm dreaming. This looks like a blueblood roster. Get your Final Four tickets now because you won't want to miss this Husker team taking on Duke for a trip to the Title Game. 25-30 wins.

Now that you've had a chance to kick the tires a bit, and check out the new guys, what do you think?

We lost a starting PG and big man to graduation. We lost a starting SG to injury AND graduation.

We lost a reserve forward to the portal. And we lost two projects, a PG and a post, to the portal.

But I'd argue we managed to keep everyone we'd have wanted to have back who still had eligibility.

This was for a team that was either the best of the worst in the league or the worst team in the middle of the pack.

Our crucial needs were to replace Walker and Griesel. Less urgently but still important, we had to find some front court depth. Then, we needed to generally find some talent upgrades.

And now we've added a big man off the portal who was the best player from the best team in the Mo Valley. We added another big who played 32 min/game and put up 8 and 7 on a roughly top 60 New Mexico team. We added a long wing who shot 40% from three at Charlotte. We got two PGs, one who started at Ball St and Missouri and another who started at Iowa (but might not be eligible.) And the two  true freshmen are long, athletic, and both appear to have pretty high upside.

9 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Now that you've had a chance to kick the tires a bit, and check out the new guys, what do you think?

We lost a starting PG and big man to graduation. We lost a starting SG to injury AND graduation.

We lost a reserve forward to the portal. And we lost two projects, a PG and a post, to the portal.

But I'd argue we managed to keep everyone we'd have wanted to have back who still had eligibility.

This was for a team that was either the best of the worst in the league or the worst team in the middle of the pack.

Our crucial needs were to replace Walker and Griesel. Less urgently but still important, we had to find some front court depth. Then, we needed to generally find some talent upgrades.

And now we've added a big man off the portal who was the best player from the best team in the Mo Valley. We added another big who played 32 min/game and put up 8 and 7 on a roughly top 60 New Mexico team. We added a long wing who shot 40% from three at Charlotte. We got two PGs, one who started at Ball St and Missouri and another who started at Iowa (but might not be eligible.) And the two  true freshmen are long, athletic, and both appear to have pretty high upside.

I don't have the time, or level of interest, to research and gauge what the other teams in the league did in all these respects.  While your thoughts on who we lost, who we replaced them with, and who else we have make sense and seem pretty spot on, ultimately it will get sorted out not by how this roster compares to the last one, but how it compares to the other teams in the league.   What are their additions and subtractions?  Are our returning guys and FNGs (new guys) better compared to the portal transfers and recruits of the other guys?   We could be a lot better and still not move up enough spots if the other teams still have better dudes than our dudes.  Hopefully that isn't the case but hard to know at this point. 

wrestling between #5 and #6. this is the least attention i''ve paid to the offseason in years for personal reasons, so I already know I don't know squat. 

I wound up going with 5 because I believe firmly that you gotta prove it to get a shift in presumption. 

I'll stop thinking of them as being bad when they stop being bad. 

1 hour ago, HB said:

I don't have the time, or level of interest, to research and gauge what the other teams in the league did in all these respects.  While your thoughts on who we lost, who we replaced them with, and who else we have make sense and seem pretty spot on, ultimately it will get sorted out not by how this roster compares to the last one, but how it compares to the other teams in the league.   What are their additions and subtractions?  Are our returning guys and FNGs (new guys) better compared to the portal transfers and recruits of the other guys?   We could be a lot better and still not move up enough spots if the other teams still have better dudes than our dudes.  Hopefully that isn't the case but hard to know at this point. 

Fair. But we cannot control how good the other guys are. We can only control how good we are compared with where we were the year before.

And so that's the question: Have we improved year over year from last year to this?

48 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Fair. But we cannot control how good the other guys are. We can only control how good we are compared with where we were the year before.

And so that's the question: Have we improved year over year from last year to this?

Gotta watch them play.   I've seen all kinds of crazy conclusions over the years prior to watching them play in D1 games.

I went with 7, but I'm the cautiously hopeful type. I just gotta see progress on the court before I can give them more credit than that. If Nebrasketball has taught me one thing (besides how to deal with disappointment), it is not to presume an NCAA berth is in the offing. 

Edited by HuscurAdam

2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

It's interesting after watching a year with a very talented Bryce McGowens (or Oho St last year) that talent and results are being used interchangeably here.

I could be wrong here, but I feel like if I could plot a graph of all 360someodd D1 basketball teams where the X axis represents talent and the Y axis represents wins, the bulk of the teams would fall pretty close to a diagonal line that extends upward from left to right, with a smattering of dots in the left upper quadrant and the right lower quadrant. But there seems to be a correlation between talent level and win/loss record. It's not a perfect correlation, but a strong one nevertheless.

10 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

It's interesting after watching a year with a very talented Bryce McGowens (or Oho St last year) that talent and results are being used interchangeably here.

Additionally, that particular year, Bryce McGowens was a freshman as were CJ, Willhelm, Keon Edwards and Eduardo. Keisei was a sophomore. And Derrick Walker was a junior.

I’m not sure that roster compares very favorably, talent-wise, with the current group. So …