Debbie Downer

I'm actually a little excited about the roster for this year's team.  That is the problem.  Every year I think we got something going, we tank.  So these are the reasons why we don't have a chance at a good season.  Hope these don't happen, but I need to temper my excitement.

KT: Does not become the consistent scorer we expect him to by.

Coleman: Struggles as a point and it leads to chemistry issues like Verge.

Williams: Develops Lat disease (shoots it great in practice but not games)

Gary:  Shoulder issues continue

Mast: Can't defend in this conference

Lawrence: Sophomore slump

Wilcher:  Same old, same old inconsistency

Keita: Injuries keep him out

Allick: Struggles adapting in P5 league

Rice: Plays like a Freshman

Lloyd: See Rice

Diop: Another post prospect that does not work out

Hoiberg: Reverts back to a walk on player

Jacobsen: See Hoiberg

Ulis: Out and loses his ass betting on us this year.

As a team we struggle rebounding, defending and have chemistry issues on offense.  

Now I'm back down to earth.  Go Big Red!

2 hours ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

I'm actually a little excited about the roster for this year's team.  That is the problem.  Every year I think we got something going, we tank.  So these are the reasons why we don't have a chance at a good season.  Hope these don't happen, but I need to temper my excitement.

KT: Does not become the consistent scorer we expect him to by.

Coleman: Struggles as a point and it leads to chemistry issues like Verge.

Williams: Develops Lat disease (shoots it great in practice but not games)

Gary:  Shoulder issues continue

Mast: Can't defend in this conference

Lawrence: Sophomore slump

Wilcher:  Same old, same old inconsistency

Keita: Injuries keep him out

Allick: Struggles adapting in P5 league

Rice: Plays like a Freshman

Lloyd: See Rice

Diop: Another post prospect that does not work out

Hoiberg: Reverts back to a walk on player

Jacobsen: See Hoiberg

Ulis: Out and loses his ass betting on us this year.

As a team we struggle rebounding, defending and have chemistry issues on offense.  

Now I'm back down to earth.  Go Big Red!

I have high expectations this year. That is not normal for me. I'm usually somewhat optimistic to start the year, but never ever have high expectations. At least not since we saw how god-awful we were the year after our last NCAA tourney appearance.

My confidence stems from Hoiberg's system (he is still an offensive genius in my eyes), the improved talent on the roster and the collective attitude and maturity of this team (similar to last year's team).

Under Tim Miles, nothing came easy offensively. Clean looks weren't often generated. Even when we were good, he acknowledged it could be lightning in a bottle. Much of the offensive production came at/near the end of a shot clock and relied on someone making an individual play. Assist numbers were historically low, most years. This is why the success of the 2013-14 and 2017-18 teams wasn't sustainable, despite having very high expectations the following seasons. 

Hoiberg's offense certainly generates open looks, both at the perimeter and at the rim. There's no doubt about that. 

The issue with the first 3.5 years of Hoiberg's tenure is  1. we could not convert on those generated looks, and 2. we had far too many players who wouldn't accept/play their role to help teammates get those looks consistently.  I believe we now have a roster more equipped to do both those things.

I'll say it right now. We're going 10-1 in the non-conference and there will be a ton of hype surrounding the program. Keisei is already a college basketball fan favorite (my KU and K-State friends absolutely love him) and he may just become one of the faces of college basketball this year. Our lower non-con SOS won't matter, apparently. Penn St. and Northwestern both went 9-2 with garbage non-con schedules last year, and both made the NCAA tournament. If we go 10-10 in conference (we were 9-11 last year and I don't believe the conference will be quite as strong top to bottom this season), we're dancing. 

If Nebraska were to make the tourney, we would be the darling that other school's fans would cheer for, similar to K-State last year, and Keisei would be the center of attention. Which would be nothing new for him. He's basically a hero in Japan. 

So there you have it. Not only is Nebraska making the NCAA tournament for the first time in 10 years and the eight time ever, but we're winning some games when we get there. And it won't feel like a fluke. Buckle up. 

How's that for positivity. 

59 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

I have high expectations this year. That is not normal for me. I'm usually somewhat optimistic to start the year, but never ever have high expectations. At least not since we saw how god-awful we were the year after our last NCAA tourney appearance.

My confidence stems from Hoiberg's system (he is still an offensive genius in my eyes), the improved talent on the roster and the collective attitude and maturity of this team (similar to last year's team).

Under Tim Miles, nothing came easy offensively. Clean looks weren't often generated. Even when we were good, he acknowledged it could be lightning in a bottle. Much of the offensive production came at/near the end of a shot clock and relied on someone making an individual play. Assist numbers were historically low, most years. This is why the success of the 2013-14 and 2017-18 teams wasn't sustainable, despite having very high expectations the following seasons. 

Hoiberg's offense certainly generates open looks, both at the perimeter and at the rim. There's no doubt about that. 

The issue with the first 3.5 years of Hoiberg's tenure is  1. we could not convert on those generated looks, and 2. we had far too many players who wouldn't accept/play their role to help teammates get those looks consistently.  I believe we now have a roster more equipped to do both those things.

I'll say it right now. We're going 10-1 in the non-conference and there will be a ton of hype surrounding the program. Keisei is already a college basketball fan favorite (my KU and K-State friends absolutely love him) and he may just become one of the faces of college basketball this year. Our lower non-con SOS won't matter, apparently. Penn St. and Northwestern both went 9-2 with garbage non-con schedules last year, and both made the NCAA tournament. If we go 10-10 in conference (we were 9-11 last year and I don't believe the conference will be quite as strong top to bottom this season), we're dancing. 

If Nebraska were to make the tourney, we would be the darling that other school's fans would cheer for, similar to K-State last year, and Keisei would be the center of attention. Which would be nothing new for him. He's basically a hero in Japan. 

So there you have it. Not only is Nebraska making the NCAA tournament for the first time in 10 years and the eight time ever, but we're winning some games when we get there. And it won't feel like a fluke. Buckle up. 

How's that for positivity. 

Random acts of positivity need to be rewarded. Miller Husker, PM your info and jerky and sticks are on their way.  We'll do this on a regular basis. Just be positive, and you never know what will happen!

What I like is all of the experience we have coming back, plus returning players. Potential starting lineups could have a combined 20+ yrs experience.

Early easy non-con means lots of wins are required and high RPI which puts pressure to get significant wins during BIG 10 play.

I think the easier non-con schedule gives HCFH a chance to figure out the best lineups and combinations.

I'm actually the most excited I've been about a team since he's been here.

I really believe this HCFH most important season.

Has Hoiberg had a team with this many returning players with this much experience:

Player -- Avg Min/G

(Jr)Gary -- 29 --> Starter. Will play mostly at 3/4

(Jr)C.J. -- 27 --> 6/7/8.

(Sr)Tominaga -- 25 --> Starter. Obvious 2

(So)Lawrence -- 18

(So)Hoiberg -- 12

(Jr)Keita -- 10 --> 6/7/8. 

Add 2 5th year transfers

(Sr)Allick -- 32 --> Starter. Will play the 4 and some 5, depending on scenarios.

(Sr)Coleman -- 34

Add 3 4th year transfers

(Jr)Mast -- 30 --> Starter. Will only play at the 5

(Jr)Williams -- 27 --> 6/7/8. Will fit well with KT as another 3pt shooter.

(Jr)Ulis -- 22  --> Starter. Best option at the PG. Below avg shooter, so his primary duty will be distribution.

Redshirt freshman: 

Lloyd -- Will get minutes at the point

Jacobsen

True Freshman:

Rice -- Freshman in name only. Wouldn't be surprised to see him get some minutes

Diop -- Will RS

Edited by Ron Mexico

39 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

What I like is all of the experience we have coming back, plus returning players. Potential starting lineups could have a combined 20+ yrs experience.

Early easy non-con means lots of wins are required and high RPI which puts pressure to get significant wins during BIG 10 play.

I think the easier non-con schedule gives HCFH a chance to figure out the best lineups and combinations.

I'm actually the most excited I've been about a team since he's been here.

I really believe this HCFH most important season.

Has Hoiberg had a team with this many returning players with this much experience:

Player -- Avg Min/G

(Jr)Gary -- 29 --> Starter. Will play mostly at 3/4

(Jr)C.J. -- 27 --> 6/7/8.

(Sr)Tominaga -- 25 --> Starter. Obvious 2

(So)Lawrence -- 18

(So)Hoiberg -- 12

(Jr)Keita -- 10 --> 6/7/8. 

Add 2 5th year transfers

(Sr)Allick -- 32 --> Starter. Will play the 4 and some 5, depending on scenarios.

(Sr)Coleman -- 34

Add 3 4th year transfers

(Jr)Mast -- 30 --> Starter. Will only play at the 5

(Jr)Williams -- 27 --> 6/7/8. Will fit well with KT as another 3pt shooter.

(Jr)Ulis -- 22  --> Starter. Best option at the PG. Below avg shooter, so his primary duty will be distribution.

Redshirt freshman: 

Lloyd -- Will get minutes at the point

Jacobsen

True Freshman:

Rice -- Freshman in name only. Wouldn't be surprised to see him get some minutes

Diop -- Will RS

I am not convinced that Diop will redshirt and I am not convinced that Mast is slotted solely as a 5.  Remember, we strive to be positionless.

20 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

I am not convinced that Diop will redshirt and I am not convinced that Mast is slotted solely as a 5.  Remember, we strive to be positionless.

I can see defiantly see Mast playing the 4. His role on this team though is going to be around the rim, similar to Josiah. HCFH made a clear decision that he wants to win on the boards. The reason I believe Diop will redshirt is because it is very rare for a regular freshman big man to have enough of an impact, especially with a so many upper class players.

12 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

I can see defiantly see Mast playing the 4. His role on this team though is going to be around the rim, similar to Josiah. HCFH made a clear decision that he wants to win on the boards. The reason I believe Diop will redshirt is because it is very rare for a regular freshman big man to have enough of an impact, especially with a so many upper class players.

I would not be shocked if Diop was ahead of Blaise by year end. Don’t see Mast at the 4 much at all to many other options there

On 8/29/2023 at 10:37 PM, Fullbacksympathy said:

I think we have an absolute guru coaching us up defensively.  As long as we have kids that close out and rotate that hard every possession, we’re going to be a problem.  

Same. Lots of talk about what we have on offense, but I think this is BIG 10 level defense.

Early easy schedule will give them a chance to gel and work out the rotation.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2023 at 1:26 PM, 49r said:

This is a terrible horrible idea. So it is likely to happen.

...and screw you @hhcmatt for being sneaky and enticing me into posting in this thread.  I pledged to avoid posting in here because I felt like it was bait thread to call me out since I have such a reputation for being a Debbie Downer in the preseason.

😁

On 9/11/2023 at 12:45 PM, hhcmatt said:

Maybe a good spot for this

I don't think they thought this through.  If it is supposed to be a 16 team tournament made up of teams from the Big 10 Big 12 and Big East that didn't make the tournament by my count there were only 15 teams from those three conferences that didn't make the tournament in 2023.  (Nebraska would be the 11th seed in this scenario in 2023).  I guess there will be more teams in these conferences in the future.

14 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

I am in favor of any plan that regularly puts the Huskers in Vegas. I'm not a gamblin' man, but it's a relatively short drive for me and they have some decent trails to explore outside of town.  

get a metal detector and play "dig for mobsters!" out in the desert. I hear it's a great way to, um, kill time.

• 2 weeks later...