Enjoy The Last Month Of The Miles Era

hhcdave

6 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

ESPN's take on "Reverse Hot Seat":

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25930674/reverse-hot-seat-why-embattled-coaches-stay

Reverse hot seat -- why these embattled coaches should stay

Tim Miles, Nebraska Cornhuskers (110-108 in seventh season)

What his detractors would say: He has gone from the fun coach who used to tweet at halftime to the coach whose team has experienced high turnover and won more than 20 games only once. Nebraska, which has reached the NCAA tournament only once under Miles, has lost seven in a row. Plus, Nebraska can shred the final year of his deal by paying him a $2.5 million buyout this offseason. The school would owe Miles nearly $4 million total if it made the move after next season.

Why his firing would be unjust: Nebraska has opened a great arena and practice facility within the past five years. The school has invested millions to rebrand itself as a viable basketball program. That's not easy to do for a program that's never won an NCAA tournament game. Firing Miles could erase the momentum the program has built during his time in Lincoln.

1 tourney appearance in 7 seasons is 'momentum'? he's also a top 35 paid coach. how would his firing be unjust in any way?

Edited by TimSmiles

10 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

ESPN's take on "Reverse Hot Seat":

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25930674/reverse-hot-seat-why-embattled-coaches-stay

Reverse hot seat -- why these embattled coaches should stay

Tim Miles, Nebraska Cornhuskers (110-108 in seventh season)

What his detractors would say: He has gone from the fun coach who used to tweet at halftime to the coach whose team has experienced high turnover and won more than 20 games only once. Nebraska, which has reached the NCAA tournament only once under Miles, has lost seven in a row. Plus, Nebraska can shred the final year of his deal by paying him a $2.5 million buyout this offseason. The school would owe Miles nearly $4 million total if it made the move after next season.

Why his firing would be unjust: Nebraska has opened a great arena and practice facility within the past five years. The school has invested millions to rebrand itself as a viable basketball program. That's not easy to do for a program that's never won an NCAA tournament game. Firing Miles could erase the momentum the program has built during his time in Lincoln.

I saw this as well and decided not to post it as I thought it would start a firestorm.  Glad you posted it Fever.

I think with the lack of success getting a big man, we need to focus on finding sharp shooters.  Play a 5 out offense.  This team would be very good with an Andrew White shooter, Thomas Allen shooting more 3's, a 2013 - 14 Pitchford, last year's Roby that could make 3's at 40 %, and Palmer/Petteway type to drive, Watson.  It would open up driving lanes, and we would get more free throw attempts as the help defense would be out of position to help.  By the time they recover, we either score or they foul.

On 2/15/2019 at 2:48 AM, PimpMario said:

I liked collier and I loved Doc and Miles (DS9 best friends).

Maybe it's time we hire a coach who isn't so nice.

Yeah,

Or some players who have a mean streak in them. Not dirty like, say, our blue neighbors to the NE, but an angry streak to where they'll get competitive if punched in the mouth. Stick up for each other. Fouls be damned. I need to see that fire again, and it starts on defense. The scorers will come and must be prioritized as well, but I think you find an identity and style, and the guys come running to be a part of that! :)

1 hour ago, HolyBobpilgrimage said:

Yeah,

Or some players who have a mean streak in them. Not dirty like, say, our blue neighbors to the NE, but an angry streak to where they'll get competitive if punched in the mouth. Stick up for each other. Fouls be damned. I need to see that fire again, and it starts on defense. The scorers will come and must be prioritized as well, but I think you find an identity and style, and the guys come running to be a part of that! :)

Beau Reid, Jr.

14 minutes ago, SkerBall said:

I see us going 0-5, maybe 1-4 the rest of the way. That hurts to say. We will not be favored in any of our last 5 games.

So disappointing that this is where we are after the way this season started, but should we be that surprised?

Copeland getting hurt has a lot to do with how many games we're likely to win for the rest of the season.

I'm not sure I understand your question. Were you expecting a major, season-ending injury to one of our starters?

Because, yeah, a 7-game losing streak was not what I would have expected prior to Copeland getting hurt.

Tim Miles has a 41.5% conference winning percentage.  Greg McDermott (since his son left) is 43.5%  in an arguably softer league. The narrative is that one is a sell and one is a buy.  Maybe if we follow up our 2nd most wins in school history with a second winning season and strong recruiting class than the narratives are backwards. 

10 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Copeland getting hurt has a lot to do with how many games we're likely to win for the rest of the season.

I'm not sure I understand your question. Were you expecting a major, season-ending injury to one of our starters?

Because, yeah, a 7-game losing streak was not what I would have expected prior to Copeland getting hurt.

I mean, I have thought for a while that Copeland was our best player, but you make it sound like we win with him and we don't without him. I would hope that if this team was who everyone said it was coming into the year that one player is not the difference between a 4 or 5 seed in the tourney and a bottom 4 finish in the conference.

This comes down to an inability to coach talent and put people in the best position to succeed. It seems to me once teams in the Big 10 figured out what Miles was doing offensively with his go to guys (Petteway, Palmer Jr.) that it is easy to shut down. And Miles has not shown he's good enough to combat that counter punch.

Sure, one could point to the record last year and say "But look at what this team did." I would ask, what did that team exactly accomplish that is worth anything? We were all mad that they didn't get into the tourney, but did we prove anyone wrong?

I get you're a big Miles fan and will loyally defend him to the end. Honorable. I on the other hand would like to strive for something greater. I have not seen anything in 7 years that has told me this guy is any different from the last 2.

34 minutes ago, SkerBall said:

I mean, I have thought for a while that Copeland was our best player, but you make it sound like we win with him and we don't without him. I would hope that if this team was who everyone said it was coming into the year that one player is not the difference between a 4 or 5 seed in the tourney and a bottom 4 finish in the conference.

This comes down to an inability to coach talent and put people in the best position to succeed. It seems to me once teams in the Big 10 figured out what Miles was doing offensively with his go to guys (Petteway, Palmer Jr.) that it is easy to shut down. And Miles has not shown he's good enough to combat that counter punch.

Sure, one could point to the record last year and say "But look at what this team did." I would ask, what did that team exactly accomplish that is worth anything? We were all mad that they didn't get into the tourney, but did we prove anyone wrong?

I get you're a big Miles fan and will loyally defend him to the end. Honorable. I on the other hand would like to strive for something greater. I have not seen anything in 7 years that has told me this guy is any different from the last 2.

I'm sorry, but are you that out of touch?

We had little depth and precious little margin for error. Going into this season, anyone who was paying attention was already concerned about our lack of depth down low.  You take a Copeland out of the lineup and what you replace him with is a Brady Heiman.  You've gone from a senior, 5-star player to a freshman 3-star whom many people on this board doubted was worthy of a scholarship and many others thought would at least need to redshirt.

And you don't think that's going to have an impact?

By the way, I'm not a "big Miles fan [who] will loyally defend him to the end." I'm a guy who's been around long enough to see a number of coaching changes and, as often as not, they haven't produced the results we were promised they would. And while I would agree that Miles isn't perfect, he's at least put together a somewhat competitive roster. And he's the ONLY coach we've had THIS CENTURY who has guided us to a better-than-.500 record in league play.  And he's done it twice.

In six seasons, Doc Sadler reached .500 in league play once; Barry Collier produced losing conference records every year; and Danny Nee's last season was trash.

So, in TWENTY seasons this century, we've only gone better than .500 in conference play twice, both times under Miles.

You can strive all you want for something better.  You have precious little control over it, and by that I mean none at all.  And when you say, "I have not seen anything in 7 years that has told me this guy is any different from the last 2" it makes me want to ask you, given what you've described, what makes you so confident that the next one is going to be any better than the last 3?

12 hours ago, SkerBall said:

I see us going 0-5, maybe 1-4 the rest of the way. That hurts to say. We will not be favored in any of our last 5 games.

Penn St is possibly a pick'um and we are possibly favored vs Iowa. The funny thing is that's not a lot more different than how we started the season where we knew the last 5 games were going to be a slog.

image.png

4 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Penn St is possibly a pick'um and we are possibly favored vs Iowa. The funny thing is that's not a lot more different than how we started the season where we knew the last 5 games were going to be a slog.

image.png

That's a 1.97 expected win outcome. So who knows, maybe we get those 2 expected wins and pull another surprise out either in the regular season or the Big Ten Tournament. There's a reason why we still play the games.

It's actually kind of scary how similar this feels to the end of the Bo Pelini era. You have people so blindly loyal that they can't even see what's right in front of them, and that is garbage basketball. It's actually a little unfair to Bo because he was a 70% winner. Miles is 50%. I don't know how much more mediocre you can get.

And if people are fine with being mediocre I guess that's on them. As a fan myself, I'd like to watch something much more competitive.

Can't stand the people that say just because something hasn't happened in the past, it can't happen in the future. All it takes is the right hire, the right guy. You don't get that right guy unless you make the change.

1 minute ago, HuskerFever said:

That's a 1.97 expected win outcome. So who knows, maybe we get those 2 expected wins and pull another surprise out either in the regular season or the Big Ten Tournament. There's a reason why we still play the games.

Would have helped if I posted the current one

image.png

3 minutes ago, SkerBall said:

It's actually kind of scary how similar this feels to the end of the Bo Pelini era. You have people so blindly loyal that they can't even see what's right in front of them, and that is garbage basketball. It's actually a little unfair to Bo because he was a 70% winner. Miles is 50%. I don't know how much more mediocre you can get.

And if people are fine with being mediocre I guess that's on them. As a fan myself, I'd like to watch something much more competitive.

Can't stand the people that say just because something hasn't happened in the past, it can't happen in the future. All it takes is the right hire, the right guy. You don't get that right guy unless you make the change.

There's a couple of things at play here:

1) The sentiment I hear from the majority of people on this board is "Hey, maybe it's time for a change? But we still have `20% of a season left and we're 15-11; how about we chill out and see how this plays out?"

2) Why don't you write the AD then if you're the expert in hiring coaches? Because I guarantee our past ADs didn't get their first pick, or second, or third, etc. when trying to lure a coach to come to Lincoln. Not to speak for @Norm Peterson, but I think this is where some of his caution comes into play. Who's to say Moos is starting to look at Page 2 of his list?

5 minutes ago, SkerBall said:

It's actually kind of scary how similar this feels to the end of the Bo Pelini era.

It's very different. It's pretty obvious what is going to happen if we don't make the NCAA tourney.  For Bo it was 'this is a guy who wins but is he winning enough to account for the fact he's a tremendous source of divisiveness at this university'.  

4 minutes ago, SkerBall said:

Can't stand the people that say just because something hasn't happened in the past, it can't happen in the future.

So why can't we make the tournament this year?

6 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

It's very different. It's pretty obvious what is going to happen if we don't make the NCAA tourney.  For Bo it was 'this is a guy who wins but is he winning enough to account for the fact he's a tremendous source of divisiveness at this university'.  

So why can't we make the tournament this year?

Because Tim Miles

14 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

There's a couple of things at play here:

1) The sentiment I hear from the majority of people on this board is "Hey, maybe it's time for a change? But we still have `20% of a season left and we're 15-11; how about we chill out and see how this plays out?"

2) Why don't you write the AD then if you're the expert in hiring coaches? Because I guarantee our past ADs didn't get their first pick, or second, or third, etc. when trying to lure a coach to come to Lincoln. Not to speak for @Norm Peterson, but I think this is where some of his caution comes into play. Who's to say Moos is starting to look at Page 2 of his list?

So this is reason to just stick with a mediocre results? Because someone before wasn't able to get it right? That's how we should go forward? 

"Well we haven't been able to get it right in the past so since there's no guarantee Moos gets it right this time let's not even try." (I'm actually hearing good things on this front.)

My eyeballs tell me Tim is an average coach. I said this a few years ago, and nothing I have seen since the 2014 disaster has shown me otherwise. He might be a likable guy. Mike Riley was really nice. But eyeballs tell you the product they are putting out is average.

We have ONE quality win over a real legit basketball team in the last two years. That's it. Otherwise we've beaten average to below average teams. This year's team was supposed to contend for a conference title. They are so far from that it's laughable. Either Miles can't coach a talented team, or they aren't as talented as everyone thought. Either way that's on Tim.

If programs like Iowa and Iowa State can be above average, making the tournament more than they are not, then we shouldn't settle for being below.