Fake ESPN - Kentucky

Two less than ethical programs, in my opinion, were vying for the Championship last night.  I'd much rather seen Wisconsin win.  I wonder how many players on Wisconsin were considered by other schools?

Why do you think these programs are less than ethical?

Two less than ethical programs, in my opinion, were vying for the Championship last night.  I'd much rather seen Wisconsin win.  I wonder how many players on Wisconsin were considered by other schools?

Calipari has been caught cheating everywhere he's been, and UConn was banned from any postseason do to poor grades.

I've mentioned this several times on the board, but Doc Sadler told me a couple years ago that Kentucky was well known in the D1 coaching circles to pay players. He said Calipari uses a professional agent who pays the players and in return receives the contract to manage them when they go pro. Not sure if it was sour grapes but didn't sound like it. He also mentioned Baylor and Kansas under Self.

Actually this turned out to be a watchable game and I stayed to the bitter end. It was sort of like viewing an MMA match between Idi Amin and Pol Pot.

Good history lesson for the day. Some may need to Google those names though.:)

Fairly certain every Kentucky starter falls into that category. They will miss that second semester material.

Two less than ethical programs, in my opinion, were vying for the Championship last night. I'd much rather seen Wisconsin win. I wonder how many players on Wisconsin were considered by other schools?

I've mentioned this several times on the board, but Doc Sadler told me a couple years ago that Kentucky was well known in the D1 coaching circles to pay players. He said Calipari uses a professional agent who pays the players and in return receives the contract to manage them when they go pro. Not sure if it was sour grapes but didn't sound like it. He also mentioned Baylor and Kansas under Self.
So then he went and worked for one of those unethical programs?

Speaking of Kentucky, I wonder how many members of their starting five are still attending classes, taking exams, studying.  Y'know, stuff that college students do.

I doubt many of them are, but I also doubt about half the entire freshman class at Kentucky is doing these very same things.  Or any most other major universities, for that matter.

You know, like 60% of four-year college students.

Speaking of Kentucky, I wonder how many members of their starting five are still attending classes, taking exams, studying.  Y'know, stuff that college students do.

Would you go to class if you knew you were leaving at the end of the year and going to be making millions of dollars?  I sure wouldn't be.

Would you go to class if you knew you were leaving at the end of the year and going to be making millions of dollars?  I sure wouldn't be.

Most of them would appear to be finishing classes.

http://sports.yahoo.com/kentucky/blog/wildcats/post/kentuckys-apr-scores-released-mens-basketball-above-average?urn=college,wp3947

I was thinking about this at lunch...if a player that knows he's a 1 and done'er neglects to go to a single class during his year and ends up with a 0.0 GPA and on academic suspension, does that count against APR even if he's drafted in the spring?

In other words, maybe these guys actually do have to show up to cough "class" cough  (aka tutoring sessions where all their work is done for them) after all?

Can we assume that it is the 7 kids at the end of the bench that never play that pull his APR score up?  You can't have 5-6 one and done kids each year and maintain much of an APR.

APR doesn't mean graduating.

If you leave school to go pro or whatever in good academic standing, this is positive towards your APR score.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_Progress_Rate

Calipari has been caught cheating everywhere he's been, and UConn was banned from any postseason do to poor grades.

UConn's postseason ban was a bit of BS.

• UConn met the old APR standards. New standards were implemented and retroactively applied.
  • The players who were "punished" during the lost season had literally no impact on the APR calculation leading to the ban.
  • Those players actually had near perfect APR scores.

Unless you've got some other dirt, calling UConn's program unethical is hardly accurate.

UConn's postseason ban was a bit of BS.

• UConn met the old APR standards. New standards were implemented and retroactively applied.
  • The players who were "punished" during the lost season had literally no impact on the APR calculation leading to the ban.
  • Those players actually had near perfect APR scores.

Unless you've got some other dirt, calling UConn's program unethical is hardly accurate.

Sorry, but U Conn was found to have committed 8 recruiting violations back in 2009. That's why there's no Calhoun. How long they've done that under the old regime is certainly up for debate. But to suggest that the infraction was due to an APR snafu is probably incorrect. As far as I know, however, this cohort of UConn players is clean, so there's that.

Calipari's history is pretty sordid and well known. Last two programs he skippered got probation after he conveniently left right before the cops hit. On the flip side, it wasn't sordid enough apparently to get slapped with a suspension and a show-cause. 

Can we assume that it is the 7 kids at the end of the bench that never play that pull his APR score up?  You can't have 5-6 one and done kids each year and maintain much of an APR.

As another poster already pointed out, the guys going early have a different set of rules than those that transfer to another school.  As long as they leave school in good standing and finish out the semester w/ solid grades, it has no negative impact on the APR.  In fact, Kentucky has the second highest APR in the SEC.  Now I think you have to be naive to think that these kids at Kentucky are still going to class and putting in a full effort, all while preparing for the NBA.  I'm guessing there is a lot of academic fraud and dishonesty that happens at these major programs that have the one and done's to maintain their APR's.