My Dudes: That monkey is sprouting some wings

I'm just saying.

Maybe there will be a #30 jersey hanging in the rafters after all.

Usually it's reserved for NBA lottery picks. They didn't even do it for Venson Hamilton, who was conference POTY.

But they gotta do something to honor the guy who leads this program to its first NCAA tourney win.

And we aren't the team we are without him.

So ...

I'm just so freaking geeked and I wanted to share in the feeling of being geeked with the few hundred people on earth who would understand.

Today a was fantastic performance from Keisei, and we aren’t the team we are without him. You’re right.

But we aren’t the team we are without Williams either. Or Allick. Or Mast. Or Gary. Or……

This is a TEAM, and they are playing better than sum of their parts. And everyone is doing it. Coaches and players.

Just now, Vinny said:

Today a was fantastic performance from Keisei, and we aren’t the team we are without him. You’re right.

But we aren’t the team we are without Williams either. Or Allick. Or Mast. Or Gary. Or……

This is a TEAM, and they are playing better than sum of their parts. And everyone is doing it. Coaches and players.

No, that's true. The thing that stands out maybe the most about this group is that it's a team. It's a group where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

They've got just enough talent that they have the ability to win some games. And this year, we won't be overmatched against a Baylor team that's just way better than us. This year, we'll face a team in the 1st round that we can beat. And we'll face a team in the 2nd round that will have a hard time getting ready for us because they won't have seen anyone like us all year long.

Prediction: Next year, you're going to see teams try to copy our defense.

14 minutes ago, Vinny said:

How could we ever do justice to recognize this entire team?? Oh wait. A banner. Let's get to work!

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I'm just saying.

Maybe there will be a #30 jersey hanging in the rafters after all.

Usually it's reserved for NBA lottery picks. They didn't even do it for Venson Hamilton, who was conference POTY.

But they gotta do something to honor the guy who leads this program to its first NCAA tourney win.

And we aren't the team we are without him.

So ...

I'm just so freaking geeked and I wanted to share in the feeling of being geeked with the few hundred people on earth who would understand.

I've been saying this for 2+ years, build a statue out front of PBA for the man who leads NU to the Promised Land... Hoiberg and Tominaga. Maybe have Sammy in it as well. That'd be a sweet trio to honor, or just the roommates Sam & Keisei.

Edited by AuroranHusker

Been a Husker hoops fan for close to 45 years.  Not as rabid as I once was, but still enjoy following the team ( despite the college game including the crazyness of NIL and constant transferring etc ).  I joke with my friends that I’m not truly a fan anymore ( short for fanatic, which I don’t think I am ).  For me it’s now more a fun hobby or distraction.  So back to Norm’s OP, yea I would be VERY happy to get that stupid Monkey off our backs.  Sure I’d love to win a game or two in the BIG tourney, but that is crazy insignificant for me ( compared to getting to the Sweet 16 for example).  Sweet 16 is my dream, but for the love of all things Husker Hoops just win ONE baby !!

10 hours ago, lang said:

Been a Husker hoops fan for close to 45 years.  Not as rabid as I once was, but still enjoy following the team ( despite the college game including the crazyness of NIL and constant transferring etc ).  I joke with my friends that I’m not truly a fan anymore ( short for fanatic, which I don’t think I am ).  For me it’s now more a fun hobby or distraction.  So back to Norm’s OP, yea I would be VERY happy to get that stupid Monkey off our backs.  Sure I’d love to win a game or two in the BIG tourney, but that is crazy insignificant for me ( compared to getting to the Sweet 16 for example).  Sweet 16 is my dream, but for the love of all things Husker Hoops just win ONE baby !!

Heck yeah, let's get the Big Red to Phoenix... home of the 2024 FINAL FOUR!

On 3/10/2024 at 9:56 PM, Norm Peterson said:

I'd rather lose to Illinois and then have a few days to rest. We've been a very good team this year bouncing back after losses.

And Mast looked really fresh against Michigan after that week off. His old man knees could use more rest. 

Last winter, I said the list of portal needs for this year was short and manageable. I said whatever happens to finish the year, given the way the team was playing despite season-ending injuries to two starters, I was firmly on the side of giving Fred another year. And this is coming from someone who was ready to dump him after year 3.

After the open practice this past fall, I said I was geeked and that it looked like we'd checked the boxes with our off-season roster moves.

Through the first 7 games, we looked solid and impressive, but we really hadn't played anyone yet.

And then we got drilled at home by Team Voldemort by almost 30 points and followed it up with a 2nd half collapse at Minnesota, and my Husker Hoops PTSD kicked in.

I wasn't sure how well this group would bounce back. We had some new players that we didn't yet know a lot about.

The Michigan State win at home could be a fluke.

But, when we positively kicked Kansas State's ass in Manhattan, I knew this team was good. I knew we were at least a bubble team from that moment.

And then we beat Indiana. And then we beat Purdue. And, while beating Purdue didn't seal a bid, I was sold on the idea that we were good enough to finish the job.

And the next day, I started a thread about drivable 1st round venues.

I believed what my eyes were telling me. And I said we have so many pieces that each kick in something different of value, and the whole is truly greater than the sum or our individual parts.

And then the coaches moved Jamarques Lawrence to the bench, chose to start Brice as our primary ballhandler, and play all three big men on the floor at the same time.

And while I was skeptical at first, I'll be damned if it didn't work.

This is the best season-long job of coaching I've ever seen from a Husker hoops staff.

And we are finally on the cusp of winning that elusive, first ever first-round NCAA tournament game.

If this team shoots the way it is capable of shooting, it'll be like the Ohio State game at home: we'll just gradually pull away. And we'll be up 15 with a minute left and Norm will breathe easy.

I agree with what @millerhusker said somewhere: Our defense is designed to stop a team like Texas A&M. They have two guards who score nearly half their team's points but neither is very good from deep. We're going to force them to the baseline where we have help and they don't have any good shooters to kick it out to. They have one guy who is a prodigious rebounder at nearly 10 a game. Put a body on him and clean the defensive glass and we're going to win this game.

My dudes, that monkey is sprouting wings.