Random Thoughts & A Question

1. I spent WAYYYYY too much money on the Nebraska NIL Store site purchasing the sweet artist t-shirts of Juwan, Rienk and Keisei. Feels good to contribute to the athletes a bit and get some sweet Husker Hoops gear.

2. Eli Rice is a guy I'm very high on. I didn't realize until recently that he was homeschooled until he was 15 and only played two years of high school basketball. I think he has a big ceiling provided he dedicates himself to defending and continuing to work on the footwork. I am a bit concerned with his body language as he never seems fired up or happy - but some of that could just be who he is and maybe is explained by his background of being a more private person/not involved in the "rah rah let's go" as much of youth hoops. I hope he is committed here and wants to stay - he's the one guy I REALLY don't want to lose.

3. I have spent way too much time DM'ing with bracketologists on Twitter and it seems like 5 wins locks it up for us from here on out. That means we have no more than one bad loss and/or one more big win (tonight). 21 seems to be the magic number. 20 and I think we are sweating bullets.

4. Would anyone here like to meet up at the NCAA Tournament - no matter where it is? I took Wed-Fri off from work and am going - no matter where - and likely alone because I doubt anyone else will commit the kind of moeny it takes to go if the game is far away from KC (where I live).

A question:

Which of the juniors will come back next year? I keep hearing we have a lot coming back and I HOPE LIKE HECK we do. But I kind of feel like only one of the following comes back:

Rienk

Brice

CJ

Juwan

Seems like Rienk and CJ might want to play pro overseas and that Brice might hit the portal. Maybe Gary is the most likely to stay? But that's just my gut. Anyone have a read on this situation or a prediction? And if you could only pick ONE of them to stay, who would it be?

I lied - one other question - assuming we make the tournament, how much more NIL money will be available for mens basketball? We need to pay these guys to stay  because while we have 10,000 times more money than DePaul for NIL, we are behind a good majority of Power 5 schools in basketball NIL. Does this get remedied? Also, I know some of it is tricky because of US laws and foreign players.

Buy some more shirts 😃

And PS - if we could keep THREE of those juniors........................................................ I might have a heart attack.

Can you imagine if 3 of these guys stay???? We could be REAL REAL REAL good next year.

21 minutes ago, hhcdave said:

1. I spent WAYYYYY too much money on the Nebraska NIL Store site purchasing the sweet artist t-shirts of Juwan, Rienk and Keisei. Feels good to contribute to the athletes a bit and get some sweet Husker Hoops gear.

2. Eli Rice is a guy I'm very high on. I didn't realize until recently that he was homeschooled until he was 15 and only played two years of high school basketball. I think he has a big ceiling provided he dedicates himself to defending and continuing to work on the footwork. I am a bit concerned with his body language as he never seems fired up or happy - but some of that could just be who he is and maybe is explained by his background of being a more private person/not involved in the "rah rah let's go" as much of youth hoops. I hope he is committed here and wants to stay - he's the one guy I REALLY don't want to lose.

3. I have spent way too much time DM'ing with bracketologists on Twitter and it seems like 5 wins locks it up for us from here on out. That means we have no more than one bad loss and/or one more big win (tonight). 21 seems to be the magic number. 20 and I think we are sweating bullets.

4. Would anyone here like to meet up at the NCAA Tournament - no matter where it is? I took Wed-Fri off from work and am going - no matter where - and likely alone because I doubt anyone else will commit the kind of moeny it takes to go if the game is far away from KC (where I live).

A question:

Which of the juniors will come back next year? I keep hearing we have a lot coming back and I HOPE LIKE HECK we do. But I kind of feel like only one of the following comes back:

Rienk

Brice

CJ

Juwan

Seems like Rienk and CJ might want to play pro overseas and that Brice might hit the portal. Maybe Gary is the most likely to stay? But that's just my gut. Anyone have a read on this situation or a prediction? And if you could only pick ONE of them to stay, who would it be?

I lied - one other question - assuming we make the tournament, how much more NIL money will be available for mens basketball? We need to pay these guys to stay  because while we have 10,000 times more money than DePaul for NIL, we are behind a good majority of Power 5 schools in basketball NIL. Does this get remedied? Also, I know some of it is tricky because of US laws and foreign players.

Buy some more shirts 😃

If only one of those come back I will be extremely disappointed!!!!

Im all in for NCAA Tourney as well!  Hopefully its not Brooklyn or Spokane.

18 minutes ago, hhcdave said:

A question:

Rienk

Brice

CJ

Juwan

Buy some more shirts 😃

1) Had no idea this existed. Sounds like I am about to be in the same boat as you 😀

2) Also had no idea about this. To me this tracks with your comment about his demeanor. Anecdotally, every home school kid I have ever met was a bit different. Not saying good or bad just different.

4) I'll be there. I'd like to meet everyone one this board. I've built an image of you all in my head over the years and I'd like to see how close you all are to the image I've created. That and I really do value each and every person's contributions to this board. It's where I spend the vast majority of the very little free time I have.

(?) I think they all come back. It's unlikely, but I just feel it for some reason. 

22 minutes ago, hhcdave said:

And PS - if we could keep THREE of those juniors........................................................ I might have a heart attack.

Can you imagine if 3 of these guys stay???? We could be REAL REAL REAL good next year.

Had CJ transferred in the off-season, he wouldn't have been eligible to play this year until he graduated considering it would have been his second transfer.

Not sure if playing with his brother is a thing they want to do but he could transfer to St Johns or Simeon Wilcher could transfer here.

A question:

Rienk
Brice
CJ
Juwan

Buy some more shirts

Why wouldn't the juniors all want to come back? They are building something special here.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

36 minutes ago, hhcdave said:

Yep, I'm in.  The first weekend of the tournament falls on my kids' Spring break so we will be traveling somewhere to watch the monkey getting thrown off the program's back!

28 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Had CJ transferred in the off-season, he wouldn't have been eligible to play this year until he graduated considering it would have been his second transfer.

Not sure if playing with his brother is a thing they want to do but he could transfer to St Johns or Simeon Wilcher could transfer here.

image.png

Those typically aren't numbers that keep 4/5 star players from transferring.

1 minute ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

image.png

Those typically aren't numbers that keep 4/5 star players from transferring.

The reason he has those numbers is because Pitino's PG from Iona has and took the job.  If that guy comes back another year then I could see Simeon transferring. If that guy leaves, he's likely the starting PG.  Something to monitor.

26 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Why wouldn't the juniors all want to come back? They are building something special here.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Mast -  6th year of college

Gary - 6th year of college

Williams - 6th year of college

Wilcher - 5th year of college

Hopefully their deals are lucrative enough to keep everybody around.  They wouldn't need to add very many more players to potentially be really good.  And not just really good by Nebraska standards.

2 hours ago, hhcdave said:

Rienk

Brice

CJ

Juwan

I expect 3 and hopefully all 4 to return.  It would be devastating in only 1 come back.  BUT, this is where NIL comes in.  Before NIL, I could definitely understand why the 6th (and even 5th) year seniors would want to move on and go overseas and make some money.  BUT, in the NIL era, a school like NU should be able to pay them just as much, if not more, than what they would get overseas.  NIL is how we got Walker to return last year.  Of course, with 4 guys, it means more NIL money, not to mention the other players and young recruits. 

But if the NIL money isn't there to keep the guys we already have here, then we can pretty much just end the dream of ever being a success in hoops at DONU.  Whether these players return will be 95% based on NIL.  Not the coach (because the coaching is very sound). Not the culture (because the culture is very sound).  Not the school (B1G school with great fan support).  Its about the benjamins.  Of course, Coach Hoiberg will be the one who will have his fate (and job status) decided by whether they return, but the reality is no coach will be able to consistently win at NU if there is not sufficient NIL support.  It's that simple. 

Edited by NUdiehard

3 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I gotta think it'd be easier to convince the guys who underwrite the NIL checks to pony up bigtime to keep the successful band together than asking them to trust the process when you only won 10 games.

Not to brag, but I'm giving $20 a month, so that should cover it as long as they find just one donor to match me at 1000000%

🤑

2 hours ago, lang said:

Good to see you’re still alive and kickin Dave !! 

You too! I was just wondering about you two and HB. And last week I was still upset I never made it to Hampton to check out the bar before it closed. #Endreminiscing.

14 hours ago, unl said:

You too! I was just wondering about you two and HB. And last week I was still upset I never made it to Hampton to check out the bar before it closed. #Endreminiscing.

Well, you can still go to Hampton to check out a new restaurant being put in there by a buddy of mine, it's supposed to open in springtime. . . should be a nice place to sit & meet the locals.

4 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Well, you can still go to Hampton to check out a new restaurant being put in there by a buddy of mine, it's supposed to open in springtime. . . should be a nice place to sit & meet the locals.

I'm guessing that the target open date for The Loading Chute will be Hampton Days the first week of June.

Hampton residents Ryan Bamesberger, left, and Grant Dose, representing two of the three couples involved in starting the Loading Chute restaurant and bar, stand outside the former Hampton Legion Hall which is being transformed into a new hometown cafe for the village.