uneblinst's postgame chatter: vol 16; ed 4 - Stony Brook

uneblinstu

As the schedule become more challenging, Fred is gong to have to shorten his bench.  In the second half, the starters came out and quickly extended the lead to something like 16 points.  But then the subs came in and lost it just as quickly.  I have been a big supporter of Sam H., but I simply don't see the need or value in playing both Sam and Boogie, let along both of them together.  One of them should be the backup PG, and whoever loses that battle should not play against good teams. 

Gary was a beast, and he showed why he should be starting and finishing over Allick at PF. 

Mast is showing he can be an very good passer/facilitator, much like Walker.  It will be fun watching him continue to develop that chemistry and timing with Keisei and others as the season progresses. 

There is a dropoff when Reink goes out and Allick goes to center.  Allick is not a rim protector and does not have Reink's size to body up down low.  Allick also is not as skilled an offensive player or passer.  I hope Reink is in excellent shape because his minutes are going to be critical this season.

The missed layups/bunnies are going to be a continuing frustration this season.  The reality is that guys like JL and Brice are the players who are best at getting to the rim, but simply are not good/great finishers at the rim, especially through traffic/contact.  On the positive side, Brice is very good at getting the foul called on contact.  There are so many times it feels like he is getting bailed out because if he didn't get fouled, I doubt he would convert the shot. It will be interesting to see if B1G teams scout this and try not to foul him as much in the paint. 

JL has been serviceable at PG, but not great, and he still has not found his shot.  It would be real nice to see him drain 3 or 4 threes in a game just to get his confidence up.

Still seems like there is a bit of selfish play going on.  Late in the 2nd half there was a stretch of about 5 minutes where it seemed Keisei did not receive a single touch, almost as if his teammates were intentionally not passing to him because they thought he would shoot it. I am just speculating of course, and maybe I am reading something into nothing, but I just feel that when Keisei is on the court, he should be involved in the offense in at least some manner almost every time down the court.  He is still the best offensive weapon, and the other players need to accept that. 

Edited by NUdiehard

11 minutes ago, NUdiehard said:

As the schedule become more challenging, Fred is gong to have to shorten his bench.  In the second half, the starters came out and quickly extended the lead to something like 16 points.  But then the subs came in and lost it just as quickly.  I have been a big supporter of Sam H., but I simply don't see the need or value in playing both Sam and Boogie, let along both of them together.  One of them should be the backup PG, and whoever loses that battle should not play against good teams. 

Boogie is the backup PG because Sam isn't a PG.  We haven't played a meaningful possession this season without either Lawrence or Boogie on the court. 

Sam is functionally Keisei's backup at the 2. 

With 0 context, the offensive works a lot better with Brice on the court (non-garbage time minutes)

Net Rtg P/100 Adj P/100   eFG% TO% OR% FTR   A%   3PR 2PR mid 2PR rim   3P% 2P% 2P% mid 2P% rim   Poss SoS
On ('A') Offense

On ('A') Defense

Off ('B') Offense

Off ('B') Defense

Baseline Offense

Baseline Defense

5 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

I have not been able to watch the majority of games but right now our 3PT rate is 50% which is top 15 in the country. 

If we want to win games against good teams I’m not sure that is sustainable. Either that or we need to start shooting at a better clip. 

Yeah, that's been my thought. We're relying too much on the 3 and not getting shots at the rim.

The biggest thing Gary did for us last night -- well, he did a lot, actually -- was hitting two-point shots. Yeah, he had a couple of treys. But getting shots at the rim was important. A year ago, he was missing those.  Last night, he really came to play.

He was 2 of 4 from 3-point range; he was 6 of 7 from inside the paint. And we really need that. He cleared the glass on both ends. Played outstanding defense as usual, even on their perimeter players. But that 6 of 7 on shots at the rim was timely and critical.

I am all on board with starting Rienk and Juwan and having Josiah backing them both up.

With 0 context, the defense works a lot better when Allick is on the floor than when he's not

Net Rtg P/100 Adj P/100   eFG% TO% OR% FTR   A%   3PR 2PR mid 2PR rim   3P% 2P% 2P% mid 2P% rim   Poss SoS
On ('A') Offense

On ('A') Defense

Off ('B') Offense

Off ('B') Defense

Baseline Offense

Baseline Defense

Per above, Brice seemed to make the biggest impact offensively and Josiah the biggest impact defensively when I isolated their possessions and also didn't include possessions that had Diop or Jacobsen (to eliminate garbage time).  Not sure if I agree but it's interesting.

This is the site i used, btw.  https://hoop-explorer.com/OnOffAnalyzer?autoOffQuery=true&baseQuery=&gender=Men&maxRank=400&minRank=0&offQuery=&onQuery=&team=Nebraska&year=2023%2F24&

I did feel like towards the end of the second half, KT was open a few times against the zone but they were trying to run some clock so Brice and JL were passing it along the perimeter. The zone seemed to fluster Brice, he had two bad turnovers in a row, and I didn’t think Coleman did too much, but it’s just one game. 4-0 is as good as we can be right now record wise. Saturday could be interesting 

2 hours ago, Silverbacked1 said:

We also need to see what Lloyd is able to do. 
if he is like advertised he could see some good minutes also, right?

Has yet to play a minute it D-1 so I'm not sure he's cracking the rotation at this point. Seems to me that when he's ready to play he needs to be prepare to wait for opportunity and be ready when it comes.

Not 100% convinced that the starting lineup needs fixed or adjusted.  I do believe that the rotation is clearing up a bit.  If you divide the players into groups, it kinda/sorta looks like this:

Front court:  Josiah and Mast

Swing:  Gary, Williams, CJ, maybe Eli,

Back court:  Lawrence, Keisei, Sam, Boogie

I look at that grouping and can anticipate who loses time if we go to an eight man rotation.   No need to go there; yet we can all make our guesses.

I know Blaise and Lloyd may come back sooner or later.  Perhaps they can unseat a player if their practice habits stand out.  But that will be hard to do since December/bigger games are right around the corner.

I haven't heard anything, so I am hoping that Sam is okay.  He took a nasty fall towards the end of the game and was holding his hip when he came out of the lineup.   Typically, the players high five everyone on the bench when they come out, in this instance he simply waved his hand and gingerly sat down.

Yes, Brice had a couple of turnovers that weren't great, but the dude is a baller. He basically took over the game in the 2nd half so Nebraska could pull away. I'm really glad he's an integral part of this offense, he will be a key to sustaining success in the bigger games. He still needs to finish better at the rim, but at least he's trying to get to the rim -- along with Juwan Gary -- as NU has few real options for getting buckets at the rim.

2 hours ago, NUdiehard said:

Still seems like there is a bit of selfish play going on.  Late in the 2nd half there was a stretch of about 5 minutes where it seemed Keisei did not receive a single touch, almost as if his teammates were intentionally not passing to him because they thought he would shoot it. I am just speculating of course, and maybe I am reading something into nothing, but I just feel that when Keisei is on the court, he should be involved in the offense in at least some manner almost every time down the court.  He is still the best offensive weapon, and the other players need to accept that. 

I think KT's teammates certainly know what kind of a threat he is on offense. I just hope that KT understands that he has a lot of help on that end and doesn't need to try and carry the team.

3 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

I have not been able to watch the majority of games but right now our 3PT rate is 50% which is top 15 in the country. 

If we want to win games against good teams I’m not sure that is sustainable. Either that or we need to start shooting at a better clip. 

I couldn't agree more with this post--have to get to the rim more. Out of curiosity, where do you go to find stats like this? 

1 hour ago, Huskerpapa said:

I haven't heard anything, so I am hoping that Sam is okay.  He took a nasty fall towards the end of the game and was holding his hip when he came out of the lineup.   Typically, the players high five everyone on the bench when they come out, in this instance he simply waved his hand and gingerly sat down.

I believe he came back in the game later. He came in with 4 other bench players in the last 2 minutes, and shortly after got subbed out for Henry.

2 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

Anyone learn what was the deal with Sam Hoiberg's shoe from the prior game, which seemed like the same type of adidas as Keisei had on for his ankle roll against Doane. . . just curious if anybody has any insight.

the sole just broke apart from the rest of the shoe, don’t think there’s any correlation between the ankle role and busting out of it 

• 3 months later...