2023-2024 KenPom Rankings Thread

49r

20 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Wisconsin by 13 over MSU.  We have a chance to put MSU at an 0-2 start to conference play.

They've had a VERY tumultuous start to the season. No one besides Hollman (9-20) or Walker (11-34) can shoot it seems. As a team they're shooting 27% from deep, which is a massive drop from their 39% from 3 last year. Didn't think losing Hauser would cause that big of a drop, but notable nonetheless. 

That baseline post double may work this game since they can't shoot, but need to take care of business today

I always hate thinking about doing these after losses, and I always come away feeling a little bit better about things after doing the update.  It's not great, nor is it anywhere close to where we want to be, and yes, this may very well be the beginning of the end of the Fred Hoiberg experience, but at least we're still ~20 spots better than we were last year at this time.  We dropped one more spot in the Big Ten pecking order, but the teams ahead of us are closer than the ones behind.  Ken has downgraded our predicted record one game to 17-14 (8-12).  Torvik, still likes us a bit more and says 19-12 (10-10).  

Neither one of those records is gonna be good enough for even an NIT bid I'm afraid, and without a huge upset on the road at KSU, it looks like postseason dreams are over before the new year already.  And that's a pretty sad prospect.

San José State drops again to #152.

KenPom rankings as of 12-07-23

=======================

B1G (0-0):
2. Purdue
11. Wisconsin
14. Illinois
23. Ohio State
29. Michigan State
39. Iowa
50. Northwestern
54. Michigan
65. Indiana
66. Nebraska
78. Rutgers
74. Maryland
100. Minnesota - L

122. Penn State

Non-Conference (7-1):
338. Lindenwood - W

324. Florida A&M - W

---Cornhusker Classic---
297. Rider - W
278. Stony Brook - W

---Sanford Pentagon---
186. Oregon State - W

---Cornhusker Classic---

83. Duquesne - W

187. Cal State Fullerton - W

8. Creighton - L
55. @Kansas State
263. North Dakota

340. South Carolina State

Edited by 49r

9 minutes ago, 49r said:

I always hate thinking about doing these after losses, and I always come away feeling a little bit better about things after doing the update.  It's not great, nor is it anywhere close to where we want to be, and yes, this may very well be the end of the Fred Hoiberg experience, but at least we're still ~30 spots better than we were last year at this time.  We dropped one more spot in the Big Ten pecking order, but the teams ahead of us are closer than the ones behind.  Ken has downgraded our predicted record one game to 17-14 (8-12).  Torvik, still likes us a bit more and says 19-12 (10-10).  

Neither one of those records is gonna be good enough for an NIT bid I'm afraid, and without a huge upset on the road at KSU, it looks like postseason dreams are over before the new year already.  And that's a pretty sad prospect.

San José State drops again to #152.

KenPom rankings as of 12-07-23

=======================

B1G (0-0):
2. Purdue
11. Wisconsin
14. Illinois
23. Ohio State
29. Michigan State
39. Iowa
50. Northwestern
54. Michigan
65. Indiana
66. Nebraska
78. Rutgers
74. Maryland
100. Minnesota - L

122. Penn State

Non-Conference (7-1):
338. Lindenwood - W

324. Florida A&M - W

---Cornhusker Classic---
297. Rider - W
278. Stony Brook - W

---Sanford Pentagon---
186. Oregon State - W

---Cornhusker Classic---

83. Duquesne - W

8. Creighton - L
55. @Kansas State
263. North Dakota

340. South Carolina State

NET didn't drop terribly either. 79 from 75. 

Bart has a lot of close 50/50 games for us also it seemed. Some with losses, some with wins. Win vs MSU on Sunday could help, but would only count as a q3 as they're behind us in NET right now at 87. Honestly a must win for any postseason hopes, even if MSU rises to top 30-50 NET

Last night was a Q2 loss right now, as Minnesota rose to 130 from 156. Need them to stay above 135 for it to not drop to a Q3 loss. 

Edited by thrasher31

36 minutes ago, 49r said:

Torvik, still likes us a bit more and says 19-12 (10-10).  

Neither one of those records is gonna be good enough for even an NIT bid I'm afraid, and without a huge upset on the road at KSU, it looks like postseason dreams are over before the new year already.

19-12 would be enough for an NIT bid, wouldn't it? NIT isn't giving the automatic qualifiers anymore to the lower-ranked conferences, so I thought there'd be quite a few P5 spots available.

2 minutes ago, HuskerActuary said:

19-12 would be enough for an NIT bid, wouldn't it? NIT isn't giving the automatic qualifiers anymore to the lower-ranked conferences, so I thought there'd be quite a few P5 spots available.

Fwiw, heres how bart has the back half of the season going. Like I said, few toss ups with some ending in losses and some in wins, and those will decide it one way or another 

Screenshot_20231207-100239.png

8 minutes ago, HuskerActuary said:

The NIT is also, if I remember correctly, going strictly by the NET now too.  So we'd have to be a top NET team left out of the Dance.

2 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

The NIT is also, if I remember correctly, going strictly by the NET now too.  So we'd have to be a top NET team left out of the Dance.

Think you're right. Depending on how conference play shakes out for some of the mid majors, might help us as long as we don't fall drastically. 

Need to take care of business though, and last night didn't help anyone 

23 minutes ago, HuskerActuary said:

I really don't think our non-con SOS is good enough to get an NIT at large no matter what we do.  It's one of those deals where if we do well enough to get a postseason bid the only one we're getting is NCAAT.

ETA, maybe with a win on the road in Manhattan we can squeak in that NIT at large range, but it'd be tough.  One would think that if we are good enough to get that win, we'll be good enough to get a good enough conference record to get into the NCAAT.

Edited by 49r

12 minutes ago, 49r said:

I really don't think our non-con SOS is good enough to get an NIT at large no matter what we do.  It's one of those deals where if we do well enough to get a postseason bid the only one we're getting is NCAAT.

ETA, maybe with a win on the road in Manhattan we can squeak in that NIT at large range, but it'd be tough.  One would think that if we are good enough to get that win, we'll be good enough to get a good enough conference record to get into the NCAAT.

Nebraska's rich NIT history disagrees with this take

Juwan Gary is a human cheat code, we'd better hope he can keep his right arm attached.  

Not a whole lot of movement other than Iowa dropping like a rock.  We are still clinging on to that middle-of-the-pack status in the Big Ten, in sort of NIT bubble territory, but with our cupcake feast in non-con we still need to be solidly in the 40's I would think to get that NIT bid.  Ken has improved our predicted record one game to 18-13 (9-11).  Torvik says 20-11 (10-10).  

K-State looms large on the schedule, I wouldn't call it a make or break game for us, but a win there would make a huge difference to our season.  It'll be tough though, they are very very solid and clicking on all cylinders right now.

San José State drops five spots to #157.  Okay, here we go.

KenPom rankings as of 12-11-23

=======================

B1G (1-1):
3. Purdue
14. Illinois
15. Wisconsin
27. Ohio State
35. Michigan State - W
41. Northwestern
42. Michigan
58. Iowa
60. Nebraska
72. Rutgers
74. Maryland
76. Indiana
92. Minnesota - L

111. Penn State

Non-Conference (7-1):
337. Lindenwood - W

321. Florida A&M - W

---Cornhusker Classic---
286. Rider - W
262. Stony Brook - W

---Sanford Pentagon---
184. Oregon State - W

---Cornhusker Classic---

81. Duquesne - W

6. Creighton - L
46. @Kansas State
281. North Dakota

346. South Carolina State

Right now, I think we could wind up anywhere from 4th to 14th.

The Minnesota loss kind of represented a "you better get your shit together" kind of moment. Yesterday indicated they might very well have gotten their shit together. I think they finish 2023 on a 4-game winning streak.

Next Sunday will be very instructive. Can we pick up a road W against a quality team in a tough environment?

That'll be the question.