uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 14; ed 22 - vs. Michigan

hhcmatt

First time caller, long time listener.

In a vacuum, this was an enjoyable game to watch.  Nebraska was competitive the entire game, weathered runs, shot well.

It's tough to win in Michigan and this very bad Nebraska team got as close as anyone in program history....tonight tied two other teams who also lost by 6.  We'll beat Northwestern if we play like that.

On the flipside, it's same old same old.  Another inevitable loss in a series of them.

I'll hang up and let you discuss.

It might just be me, but this was the most encouraging game of the season that illustrated to me that Fred's system can work. MASSIVE post disadvantage with two potential NBA guys and it was about as close as it could've been. 

-benching verge late is a decision I understand. I've seen verge not let anyone touch the ball to close games far too much. He's the reason we lost Illinois at minimum. Play him throughout the game, but in closing time you play Kobe (this is a much bigger issue, but is what it is) 

-keisei played tough and hard. I know others don't like his defense and while I agree, he always plays hard on defense. Get him stronger and that gap may close. 

-like I said, post discrepancy was massive all night. Walker is a good player, but Dickinson is an all American and he put it on display tonight.

-bryce gets more and more comfortable with every game. He's figured out that he can drive at will pretty much and when he does, good things happen. Rest of the game opens up after he drives. 

We play like that, we have a significant chance against NW imo. They play more mobile bigs so you may see more Andre. 

4 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Still trying to wrap my head around Trey McGowens not playing the last 12 minutes. I'm sitting here re-watching the game because I don't get it.

Ah. I'm seeing that Kobe blown fast break that stuck out like a sore thumb and Nebraska scuttling between the 8:20 and 6:28 mark where we could have pulled Kobe for Trey...or Keisei if we wanted to have the extra ball handler in.

20 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

First time caller, long time listener.

In a vacuum, this was an enjoyable game to watch.  Nebraska was competitive the entire game, weathered runs, shot well.

It's tough to win in Michigan and this very bad Nebraska team got as close as anyone in program history....tonight tied two other teams who also lost by 6.  We'll beat Northwestern if we play like that.

On the flipside, it's same old same old.  Another inevitable loss in a series of them.

I'll hang up and let you discuss.

In a vacuum. Maybe that's the way to look at this team the rest of the season.

Walker played well. Would be nice if he was playing PF.

Tominaga brings so much energy, but that technical was a back breaker.

Bryce is really starting to get a feel for his game at this level. To bad it's been wasted. He'll for sure be gone at the end of the season.

Andre has been playing well as of late and really contributed today.

After every loss I feel a little more comfortably numb.

Is Northwestern our best chance to get a win this season?

The one thing I liked to see was when Michigan went on their big run, and got a 10 point lead, we responded and even got up 6 at one point.  

That brutal schedule is done.  Will it take it's toll on us, and leave us with nothing left?  We have a good chance to win 6 out of our next 7 games.  Of course, we just as easily could lose our final 8 games(9 if we make up the OSU game)

Pretty sure rebounds were even at 15 in the first half.   Ended up 39-24 so we got outrebounded 24-9 in the second half ??    In first half we had 3 offensive boards and they had 2 - in the 2nd half we had 1 offensive board and they had 10.   Means that they actually outrebounded us when they shot 10-8 in the 2nd half.  That should never happen.

All-Time Freshman scoring list

1. Dave Hoppen 445
2. Joe McCray 432
3. Jerry Fort 376
4. Bryce McGowens 375
5. Eric Piatkowski 372

On a side note, had no idea that @Handy Johnson was the name of a former Nebraska basketball player until I started digging into Hoppen's scoring totals

49 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

1. Dave Hoppen 445
2. Joe McCray 432
3. Jerry Fort 376
4. Bryce McGowens 375
5. Eric Piatkowski 372

On a side note, had no idea that @Handy Johnson was the name of a former Nebraska basketball player until I started digging into Hoppen's scoring totals

That’s very surprising to me, he was a shooting guard on one of the best teams we ever had. Lost to a powerhouse DePaul team with Skip Dillard in the NIT semifinals. It’s an homage to our golden age, plus I’m not clever by half to come up with a moniker that delightful…

6 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

1. Dave Hoppen 445
2. Joe McCray 432
3. Jerry Fort 376
4. Bryce McGowens 375
5. Eric Piatkowski 372

Youngster. 😉

7 hours ago, FredsSlacks said:

our team is so physically small and weak. i'll never understand how fred thought this team would win games in the big 10.

Our team was built to shoot lights out behind the arc, forcing teams to play the full court which opens up some lanes, playing at a top 10 fastest pace, and outscoring our opponents in transition baskets.

But instead, we can't make our shots, we don't distribute the ball well, we turn it over, and  get overmatched at the post it causes us to throw up too many unwarranted shots.

Hoiberg has doubled down and tripled down that this is the type of philosophy he wants to run and hasn't adapted when he finds out the integral centerpiece of our team's ability to make shots just isn't there with this roster.

7 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

That’s very surprising to me, he was a shooting guard on one of the best teams we ever had. Lost to a powerhouse DePaul team with Skip Dillard in the NIT semifinals. It’s an homage to our golden age, plus I’m not clever by half to come up with a moniker that delightful…

Dimes is YOUNG.   🤦‍♂️   Man, I loved me some Handy Johnson back in the day.   And loved watching him drive Moe crazy.  

This game felt much like the Michigan football game.  A competitive game, and we find a way to lose.  The football game was a good game.  It still was a gut punch because of our record.  If we were 5 - 1 at the time, a little easier to swallow.  The basketball game was a good, competitive game, and find a way to lose.  Much easier to swallow if we are 11 - 10 going into the game.