Secret Scrimmage - Wyoming

swoof

Huskers.com had a pretty good write up.  Sounded like the 22 point win was in a controlled scrimmage where they played different defenses. 

Also, Nebraska lost in a 20 minute live scrimmage 40-37, tied 19-19 in a 10 minute live scrimmage and won 9-2 in a 6 minute scrimmage that featured young players.

Watson scored 20 with 4 triples in the afternoon and had 13 in the morning which is impressive.

Also, Nebraska shot 40 % from 3 in both sessions according to the article which is encouraging, especially against Wyoming who is good on D normally.

Near as I can tell, Nebraska was 40% for threes on the day, across both the morning and the afternoon scrimmages.

Morning:

Shavon, 18 pts on 3-4 from three

Andrew, 16 pts

Morrow, 14 pts (take note, those who think Ed is just a glass cleaner)

Watson, 13 pts

52-35 rebounding advantage (fantastic for a "small" team) and 23 assists.

In the afternoon, Watson was 8-11 shooting.  Is he the Day 1 starter at point?  He ran the reds in the public scrimmage.

I am GEEKED!

By the looks of things, this should have been two fairly evenly-matched teams.  Wyoming is ranked fairly middle-of-the-pack in the nation by Kenpom (180th) as are we (137th).  They finished 4th in the Mountain West last year and had 25 wins, so they certainly weren't bad.  Looking at the rosters, we have similar size.

The biggest difference is that we have 3 top-100 recruits/transfers now eligible that we didn't have last year.  And we've shed ourselves of some of the locker room issues that might have held us back a bit last year.

I take this as a very good sign for us.

Not yet to jump to any conclusions just yet.  But things certainly look more positive. 

I do not believe this young Mr. Morrow is an offensive machine.  BUT he seems to be Rodman like in that he is always in the right position, he is a quick and explosive jumper and he will take advantage of any junk points coming his way.

I also chuckle when I hear my dear Watson is not a shooter or scorer.  Balderdash!  The kid didn't have to score for his HS team to be great.  Yet when scoring was needed, he scored.  That is called being unselfish. 

McVeigh is still learning the US game...he is going to play major minutes for us and will provide scoring and rebounding.  And just watch, Jacobson is going to be a good one as well. 

So I agree with that Cheers dude.  Things are looking up...the future and perhaps the present is looking good...and yes, I am just a tad geeked.

Not yet to jump to any conclusions just yet. But things certainly look more positive.

I do not believe this young Mr. Morrow is an offensive machine. BUT he seems to be Rodman like in that he is always in the right position, he is a quick and explosive jumper and he will take advantage of any junk points coming his way.

I also chuckle when I hear my dear Watson is not a shooter or scorer. Balderdash! The kid didn't have to score for his HS team to be great. Yet when scoring was needed, he scored. That is called being unselfish.

McVeigh is still learning the US game...he is going to play major minutes for us and will provide scoring and rebounding. And just watch, Jacobson is going to be a good one as well.

So I agree with that Cheers dude. Things are looking up...the future and perhaps the present is looking good...and yes, I am just a tad geeked.

and just to be clear here, I am not saying that we are going to be world beaters this season. What I am saying is that the upgrade in talent is readily apparent.

Why were these scrimmages always so "secret" in the past?

NCAA rules?  :ph34r:

It's more an interpretation by the NCAA of regulations for the so-called secret scrimmage. No press or public are to attend. Somehow that notion was extended to mean that no stats were to be distributed, either. It appears that their ruling has been adjusted, based on the stats we've received this season...

Here's a theory: the first session includes the Nebraska starter types, while the second session excludes the upper class starter types. Consider this published information:

First session:

--Huskers won 89-67

--Shavon had 19 points, Andrew had 16, Ed had 14, Watson had 13

--Huskers had 23 assists, of which Benny had 7

--Wyoming shot 39%

--Husker won the rebounding war by 52-35

Second Session

--Huskers end up "edging" Wyoming on the scoreboard

--Glenn Watson led Nebrasketball's scorers with 20 points

--Nick fuller played

--Bakari Evelyn played

--Wyoming's Josh Adams scored 22 points