uneblinst's postgame chatter: vol 16; ed 30- Rutgers

Notes from UNL

• Nebraska improves to 21-9 on the season and the 21 wins ties for sixth on NU single-season win chart.

• Nebraska improves to 18-1 at home, including a perfect 10-0 in Big Ten play. The 18 wins sets a school record for most home wins and the 18-1 mark is the Huskers' best home mark since going 11-0 in 1965-66.

*-Nebraska was a perfect 10-0 at home in Big Ten play, it marks just the 11th time in school history and third since WWII that Nebraska posted a perfect home conference mark (others were 2017-18 and 1965-66)

*-Nebraska held Rutgers to 32.8 percent shooting, its lowest since shooting 32.3 percent against Indiana on Jan. 9

*-With 11 Big Ten wins, NU is assured of its first winning record in conference play since 2017-18. The 11 wins ties for the fourth-most conference wins in a season in school history

*-Nebraska has held its last nine opponents under 43 percent shooting, dating back to Jan. 27

*- Josiah Allick posted his first double-double of the season and 11th of his career with 10 points and a season-high 12 rebounds. Allick, who reached double figures for the ninth time this year, went over 1,200 points in his career.

*-Juwan Gary also joined Allick with a double-double with 15 points and 11 rebounds while adding three blocked shots. Gary now has five double-doubles for the season and eight in his career.

*-It marks the second time this season Nebraska had multiple double-doubles in a game (also vs Oregon State on Nov. 18).

• Keisei Tominaga led NU with 18 points, including 12 in the second half. It was the 10th time he paced NU in scoring this season. He now has 982 career points is 18 away from reaching 1,000 career points at Nebraska.

*-Nebraska won the rebounding battle 44-40 and is 14-0 this season when out-rebounding its opponents.

47 minutes ago, northwillriseagain said:

So is Wilcher actually planning on moving on? I assume as a grad transfer if so? He has his flaws but can be an offensive spark plug off of the bench.

If you listened to Jo’s post game he said it was great Gary could go out from PBA with a win. I hope that was a misspeak and not inside knowledge. 

14 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

If you listened to Jo’s post game he said it was great Gary could go out from PBA with a win. I hope that was a misspeak and not inside knowledge. 

My heart sank a little when he said it. It really sounded like he knew something the rest of us don't. 

42 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

Oh no that didn’t sound like a misspeak at all.

Edited by Cornbread21

We won this game without having a very good offensive output.  We also turned the ball over more often than "normal."  But I will also credit Rutgers for playing some nasty a** defense. 

We really played seven players.  JLaw did hit a nice 3; but otherwise had a below average game.  Rienk and CJ sort of struggled as well.  Keisei struggled, until he didn't.  Goodness, he went off like a stick of dynamite for about 3 minutes.  I thought Brice had a quiet, yet good game.  Juwan, Sam and Josiah were downright junk yard dawgs.

3 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

McHale is on the Mount Rushmore of Minnesota Sports Legends. Went to the same High School as Bob Dylan. 

That was a pretty cool moment for Freddy, I'm sure. To show one of his mentors, hey man, we are a really freakin' good team, come watch us at The Vault, Kevin McHale. And, hey, while you're talking in the locker room, notice my son Sam... last time you saw him, he didn't even have peach fuzz on his mug. GBR !!

Edited by AuroranHusker

4 hours ago, arliepro said:

What is his academic status?

Don't believe he's missed any times because of grades. This is his 5th year in college so I'd expect him to have his degree by the end of the year though obviously that's no guarantee. 

10 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

I'll worry about who is coming back after the season if over.  In the mean time, just enjoy the ride and don't stress about who is returning at this point.

6 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

I'll worry about who is coming back after the season if over.  In the mean time, just enjoy the ride and don't stress about who is returning at this point.

I didn't take much from Jo's comment, tbh. He was feelin' it in the moment of reflection. I'm going to wait & see as well. Enjoy the rest of the rollercoaster ride that is Nebrasketball. This time the thrill might still be waitin' in March Madness.

Appreciate you guys bringing up McHale playing here.

Turns out that when the Devaney Center opened we were able to schedule 2 home and away games that happened to line up with McHale's time at Minnesota.

We went 2-2 vs the Gophers.