2024 Portal Watch

Rollie has deceptive athleticism. Slides his feet really well. Great article in the Deseret News on how people counted him out. He will be team leader on day1.

Ulis is an average athlete with a good body for a point guard. Solid player for Iowa.

Both have suspect perimeter games and lack the elite athleticism to guard great players.

20 minutes ago, thrasher31 said:

I'm gonna plant my flag and say this kid is worth a flyer. I see the fit in Fred's offense at the 4 or small ball 5. Needs to improve efficiency from 3 specifically, but the idea is there. Top 50 kid out of HS. Having 3 years left helps too

I am with you. His numbers are not great but his shot looks smooth (lefty) and seems like a good passer to.

15 minutes ago, huskercabby said:

Rollie has deceptive athleticism. Slides his feet really well. Great article in the Deseret News on how people counted him out. He will be team leader on day1.

Ulis is an average athlete with a good body for a point guard. Solid player for Iowa.

Both have suspect perimeter games and lack the elite athleticism to guard great players.

Brice is probably your starting 2 and can guard that spot well. Disagree with you on Worster / Ulis. 

45 minutes ago, huskercabby said:

I think it’s all quite a bit overblown. Obaseki had the game of his career against Nebraska. We played just as athletic (and just much better) guards than him throughout the year. But Worster and Ulis will absolutely upgrade the perimeter defense. They significantly upgrade the length and physical strength of our backcourt. Worster was Utah’s best defender. I don’t think there’s anything deceptive about his athleticism. He looks like an outside linebacker. Ulis is a very good athlete and was Iowa’s best defender his junior year. 

Theres a lot more that goes into it than just having elite athleticism. Do you realize none of the guards in the national championship game would be capable of guarding good players according to your criteria? Newton, Spencer, Smith, Loyer, Jones. None of those players are even close to being elite athletes. 

Nebraska had a pretty darn good defense last year despite the limitations of Keisei and CJ, and not having any semblance of a rim protector. And on paper, the defense looks like it’ll be much improved next year. 

22 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

Theres a lot more that goes into it than just having elite athleticism. Do you realize none of the guards in the national championship game would be capable of guarding good players according to your criteria? Newton, Spencer, Smith, Loyer, Jones. None of those players are even close to being elite athletes. 

It helped a little bit that they had 7 foot centers in Edey and Clingan in drop coverage.

2 hours ago, huskercabby said:

https://www.kpax.com/sports/kpax-sports-awards/kpax-sports-awards-hellgates-rollie-worster-and-maddy-butler

Scroll down a ways in the article. An interesting essay Rollie wrote in high school about playing sports. I think we're gonna like this guy.

10 minutes ago, LincecumFan said:

https://www.kpax.com/sports/kpax-sports-awards/kpax-sports-awards-hellgates-rollie-worster-and-maddy-butler

Scroll down a ways in the article. An interesting essay Rollie wrote in high school about playing sports. I think we're gonna like this guy.

He did a great job of not using a colon or semi-colon.  I love him!

You see this tweet and you think this dude is going to be good.  Then you find out he's the Keon Edwards of McDonalds All-Americans.  Was Meah's teammate at Washington at one point.

It may be an interesting couple of weeks.  Matt hit it on the head when he states "right combination of fit and bargain."

Arguably we have a good team on paper.  But we are still missing the true replacement for Josiah.  The bonus (perhaps a must) would be if that player can consistently score from the perimeter.   We have three or four players that can provide minutes at that position; but their primary position is elsewhere.

Depth has been discussed elsewhere; but let's review:

PG - Ahron, Rollie, Brice, Sam, Nick

SG - Brice, Sam, Nick, Connor, Gavin, Cale

SF - Juwan, Braden, Brice, Gavin, Cale

PF - Juwan, Brice, Andrew, Rienk, Braden, Braxton, Gavin

C  -  Rienk, Andrew, Braxton, Juwan

Now, it is unrealistic for some of the above to do anything but plug a hole in the position listed; but if you look at this as an exercise, it points out where we need a quality player.  I personally believe Juwan best fits at small forward/wing and Brice best fits at the shooting/off guard.  

Very interested to see what route we take with the last two spots.

I do like the idea of Juwan at the 3 and so adding an athletic 4 would be nice.

Some of this depends on reink but I like our depth at the 5 and would be interested if we look at reink as more of a 4 versus a 5. Morgan and Meah are both going to be a 5 most times I assume.

I still prefer the last two spots being guys who have at least two years of eligibility. 1 being a play now and maybe 1 sitting out a year.

This team feels like it’s deeper than past teams. Feels like we could see 10 guys get minutes to start and then the rotation will obviously fall into place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Huskerpapa said:

It may be an interesting couple of weeks.  Matt hit it on the head when he states "right combination of fit and bargain."

Arguably we have a good team on paper.  But we are still missing the true replacement for Josiah.  The bonus (perhaps a must) would be if that player can consistently score from the perimeter.   We have three or four players that can provide minutes at that position; but their primary position is elsewhere.

Depth has been discussed elsewhere; but let's review:

PG - Ahron, Rollie, Brice, Sam, Nick

SG - Brice, Sam, Nick, Connor, Gavin, Cale

SF - Juwan, Braden, Brice, Gavin, Cale

PF - Juwan, Brice, Andrew, Rienk, Braden, Braxton, Gavin

C  -  Rienk, Andrew, Braxton, Juwan

Now, it is unrealistic for some of the above to do anything but plug a hole in the position listed; but if you look at this as an exercise, it points out where we need a quality player.  I personally believe Juwan best fits at small forward/wing and Brice best fits at the shooting/off guard.  

Is your perspective on the depth chart based on offense or defense? 

5 minutes ago, Shawn Eichorst's Toupee said:

Mast taking a medical redshirt this year to preserve his eligibility 

Stinks but kind of what we heard would be happening. A healthy Rienk Mast would’ve completed this team. Let’s hope that will also be true for the 25-26 season! GBR!