Norm's Conference Recognition Watch List

None of this bothers me as a fan. I think both players and coaches realize that basketball is still supposed to be a "team" sport and it is much easier to motivate a team which is "disrespected" than a team which is considered a "favorite".

3 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I don't even know quite what to say to this other than to say I'm not going to spend time worrying about what we're not. Instead, I'm going to celebrate what we are. Because there's a lot to be happy for and we're in a lot better place as a program now than we've been in years. But go ahead and bitch about not being Purdue if that's what floats your boat.

I’m not on Twitter, did anyone respond to this Abbie that they’d rather not lose to a 16 seed in the first round?

46 minutes ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

If I were a player I’d take much more stock in what rhe coaches have to say vs the media. No disrespect to the media. But the coaches jobs depend on winning and game planning against these guys. They know

This x 1000. As far as the media...I believe the saying is most don't know their ass from a hole in the ground. 

I get the argument for Painter. His team was supposed to be the best; they were the best. You shouldn't diminish the accomplishment by saying he merely met expectations when the expectation was for them to be the very best.

And that argument would hold sway with me had it not been for the fact that another coach's team so vastly exceeded expectations that the comparison between expectations and outcome is almost off the charts.

ESPECIALLY when the coach who exceeded expectations did so without any star players. As determined by the coaches and media who voted on Coach of the Year. I mean, if Painter's team had won the regular season title without an all-conference first-teamer, let alone the 2-time defending conference player of the year, then I'd say his coaching honor is justifiable.

One of the coaches honored had a roster that was adjudged to be commensurate with their conference finish. The other did not. The better coaching job was clearly accomplished by Team Hoiberg.

So, here's where it gets ridiculous for me:

Conference POTY: Purdue

Conference 6th man: Purdue

1st team All Conf: Purdue 2; Nebraska 0

2nd team All Conf: Purdue 0; Nebraska 1

3rd team All Conf: Purdue 0; Nebraska 1

Honorable Mention All Conf: Purdue 3; Nebraska 0

So, Purdue has 5 guys get All-Conf recognition including two first-teamers and the overall POTY. So how much credit does their coach *really* deserve?

Schools with more all-conference honorees than Nebraska: Purdue; Illinois; Iowa; Maryland; Michigan State; Penn State; Wisconsin. And, if you include freshman honorees, then add Indiana in there as well.

So, we're adjudged by conference coaches to have maybe 8th or 9th best talent. We finish 3rd. Purdue has far-and-away the most talent and they finish 1st. And Fred and Matt are co-coaches of the year? 

https://bigten.org/news/2024/3/12/general-big-ten-announces-2024-mens-basketball-postseason-honors.aspx

17 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Are people still upset about Tim Miles having to share the B1G coaching award or did the statue of limitations run out on that? 

I don't remember it. I certainly don't remember people being upset about it. So I looked it up and I don't think people were  upset about it.

10 minutes ago, Sgt Lincoln Osiris said:

Agree with everything that’s been said.
Back to back years winning the regular season title is impressive, and hadn’t been done outright in like 17 years. He didn’t win the award last year, so it kind of feels like they threw Painter a bone for the sustained success. 

That actually makes a lot of sense. You win first place often enough and the coach deserves some credit.

57 minutes ago, No Place Like the Vault said:

Translate that for those of us that are emoji illiterate please 

He posted this right after BIG End of seasons awards. 

Bet with hand clap is a sarcastic means I acknowledge what just happened and we/I are going to show you.

Typically it means agreed, but sometimes that agreement can be a sarcastic, as in when some says alright using a tone.

If one guy dunks on another guy and the guy who dunked talks a bit of trash then guy who was just dunked on won't trash talk back but instead say Bet. Bet in this instance means I acknowledge what you did, but it's about to be my turn.

31 minutes ago, Sgt Lincoln Osiris said:

Agree with everything that’s been said.
Back to back years winning the regular season title is impressive, and hadn’t been done outright in like 17 years. He didn’t win the award last year, so it kind of feels like they threw Painter a bone for the sustained success. 

This is what it means to be "Nebraska Nice."

FTR, I hate that slogan.

I'm sure HCFH could care less whether he won the award or not.

Interesting that all of these post season awards do the one thing I'm happy about and that is takes spot light off of us as a team or dim's the spotlight in the case of co-COTY. This whole season has been about the sum being greater than the parts.