NCAA Tournament Watch

15 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Question: Those teams that have a 33% Q1 win rate and don't get in, do they also have some bad losses they're carrying?

We have zero Q4 or Q3 losses. That's unusual for us.

Can’t speak to the past but for this year, other teams with 3-6 Q1 records

Nova: 1-3 in Q3

Utah: Q3 loss

Va Tech: Q3 loss

TCU: Two more Q3 + Q4 games than us 

Oklahoma: One more Q3 + Q4 game than us

Miss St: Q3 and Q4 loss

14 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Question: Those teams that have a 33% Q1 win rate and don't get in, do they also have some bad losses they're carrying?

We have zero Q4 or Q3 losses. That's unusual for us.

From 2023:
Ok St: Q1 6-12, Q2 4-2, Q3 3-1, Q4 5-0

Rutgers: 4-7, 6-3, 2-4, 7-0

Clemson: 4-4, 3-2, 7-2, 9-2

New Mexico: 3-5, 3-2, 10-3, 5-1

Wisconsin: 5-7, 6-6, 1-1, 5-0

Vandy: 5-11, 5-0, 5-2, 5-1

So your answer is a resounding yes. Ok State and Wisconsin each had a Q3 loss. Everyone else had multiple Q3+Q4 losses. 2022 is the same story. So that’s good.

5 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

KSU looks likely to drop most of the rest of their games on the schedule.  Will root for a 20+ point win.

Good news is Big 12 has insanely good NET rankings. So losses won’t hurt them much and wins will help a lot.

I think if they win the home games they’ll likely be favored in (TCU, BYU, WVU) and then upset one of the others (ISU at home; Texas, Cincy, KU on road) they’ll be top 75 going into the conference tournament. May not even need one of those upsets. Losing any of those games won’t ding them at all.

13 hours ago, FredsSlacks said:

i talked to an individual in the know. he said tominaga is nebraska's golden ticket to a tourney birth and that his international fame will be enough to put nebraska in over other fringe tourney teams.

Of course we have to take care of business and be in a position where they can justify us… but I 100% believe they’d take Tominaga’s bubble

story over another bubble team.

He adds eyes, he’s a character (most love him for it too), he could go off.

I said this in another thread, but Fox Spirts Basketball Twitter account did a tweet thread with basketball valentines.  Tominaga was one of them.  How many times have accounts like that tweeted about Nebraska basketball on a random Wednesday where we weren’t playing?

8 hours ago, millerhusker said:

Yep, contrary to what some think, the powers that be will look for any good reason to include Nebraska in March madness this year. Entertaining guards on potential Cinderellas are what creates the madness in March.  The storylines of Tominaga, Hoiberg and Nebraska never winning a tourney game all work in our favor. Having one of the better fan bases in college sports probably helps too. 
We still have to take care of business down the stretch. 

Count me as one of "some" who think otherwise.

The people on the committee have to be able to defend their selections. They're not looking for storylines, or else a team that made the national title game in 2022 would have gotten the benefit of the doubt last year. They also had POY candidate Armando Bacot. However, North Carolina stayed home. Here's the Heels' resume:

The 2022-23 Tar Heels went 1-9 in NET quad 1 games (their only Q1 victory being a home win against #6 Virginia).[1] They finished the season 20–13 overall and 11–9 in ACC play

They also finished 43 in KenPom and 46 in NET. Plus they had zero Q3 or Q4 losses and a 4-7 road record. 

There was easily enough story line to twist that record into an NCAA berth, if that actually was done. 

Edited by Chuck Taylor

20 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

The people on the committee have to be able to defend their selections. They're not looking for storylines, or else a team that made the national title game in 2022 would have gotten the benefit of the doubt last year. They also had POY candidate Armando Bacot. However, North Carolina stayed home. Here's the Heels' resume:

They also finished 43 in KenPom and 46 in NET. Plus they had zero Q3 or Q4 losses and a 4-7 road record. 

There was easily enough story line to twist that record into an NCAA berth, if that actually was done. 

1-9 in Q1 games isn’t going to get it done. Sorry. A story doesn’t save that.  3+ Q1 wins is easier to sell. They also had just 2 wins against the projected field.  Their resume just couldn’t be sold as “last years champs”.

Edited by hskr4life

52 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

We definitely have to take care of business down the stretch and an earn a bid. But say there are 12 teams who have good enough resumes for the last few at-large spots. I absolutely think those things mentioned help us out. There are tens of millions of basketball fans in Japan. They’d all be watching and the NCAA knows that.

7 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

We definitely have to take care of business down the stretch and an earn a bid. But say there are 12 teams who have good enough resumes for the last few at-large spots. I absolutely think those things mentioned help us out. There are tens of millions of basketball fans in Japan. They’d all be watching and the NCAA knows that.

Oooor they could be like, "Oh you want to be Nebraska Basketball fans?!? Let me show what that means...BOOM! Last 4 out!" 

17 hours ago, Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty said:

They already have 18 wins on a very tough SOS (at least according to the numbers). They could finish 1-6 and they’d still be in, which if you follow that Twitter account it fits into his definition of Lock.

Kansas has got Doc Sadler.  No team with Doc Sadler has ever finished the regular season 1-6.  Well, except for these four, but otherwise it hasn't happened.

2020   0-16  Nebraska

2016   1-9     Southern Miss

2012   1-8    Nebraska

2010    1-9   Nebraska

Edited by Dead Dog Alley

32 minutes ago, Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty said:

I’ve seen it stated that teams who host their conference tournament have those games counted as home games for the purpose of quads. And their opponents count it as a road game.

Does anyone know if this applies to Minnesota this year? It’s not in their arena but it’s darn close.

Believe they number they are using this year is three home games at the arena the game is being played. So Minnesota will be neutral. This appears to be affecting St. John's for the Big East tournament. All St. John's games will be home for the Johnnies.