So, do we have another B1G win left in us this season?

Norm Peterson

Any more conf wins left in the ol' Huskers this year?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Which remaining B1G games do we win? Pick all you think we'll win

• We beat the Badgers in Madison
    • We reduce Chief Illiniwek to tears with a win in Champaign
    • We send the Bob out in style with a home win against Minnesota
    • We complete the season sweep with a win in Iowa City
    • Our last win was our last win (of the regular season)

The B1G commissioner's office wasn't very kind to us scheduling these first two seasons of basketball.  We're on the road 3 of our first 4 this year and 3 of our last 4.  That's tough.  And our final home game isn't against any B1G bottom feeder either, not that there are too many of those this year.

So, Minnesota at home but Iowa, Illinois and Wisconsin on the road.  

Pick your wins.  This poll allows multiple choice if you think we win more than one remaining game.

If we beat Illinois or Wisconsin, I think we're looking at NIT possibilities rather than going home after the conference tournament.

i can't see just one more win getting us into the NIT.  The "must finish .500 or better" rule was axed a few years ago, but I still don't think they've taken a team with a below .500 record.

Winning just 1 more game would put us at 14-17 (5-13).  There's no way that is gonna get us into the NIT.  Even winning two more games and finishing 15-16 (6-12) would be a hard sell for the NIT selection committee unless we go on a little run in the big 10 tournament

If we beat Illinois or Wisconsin, I think we're looking at NIT possibilities rather than going home after the conference tournament.

i can't see just one more win getting us into the NIT.  The "must finish .500 or better" rule was axed a few years ago, but I still don't think they've taken a team with a below .500 record.

Winning just 1 more game would put us at 14-17 (5-13).  There's no way that is gonna get us into the NIT.  Even winning two more games and finishing 15-16 (6-12) would be a hard sell for the NIT selection committee unless we go on a little run in the big 10 tournament

I don't think the selection committee even has a choice if a team isn't .500.

I think we'll beat Minnesota and that's it.  But this team has beat my expectations all year so let's hope that keeps happening. 

I think we'll beat Minnesota and that's it.  But this team has beat my expectations all year so let's hope that keeps happening. 

i think they did away with that rule.  I'm not sure why, but here is a link: http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=514258

as for the question, i don't think we will win another one.  Iowa looked past us and we screwed up their season.  They won't let us beat them again.  Wisconsin, Illinois, and Minnesota are all tournament teams trying to lock up a better seed right now.  This late in the season, I don't see any of them taking a game lightly.  Hope I'm wrong, but we already have 4 more conference wins than I thought we'd get so I'm not too worried

i think they did away with that rule.  I'm not sure why, but here is a link: http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=514258

as for the question, i don't think we will win another one.  Iowa looked past us and we screwed up their season.  They won't let us beat them again.  Wisconsin, Illinois, and Minnesota are all tournament teams trying to lock up a better seed right now.  This late in the season, I don't see any of them taking a game lightly.  Hope I'm wrong, but we already have 4 more conference wins than I thought we'd get so I'm not too worried

That is a very old link....2006 and they had 40 teams then, but it is 32 teams now and the NCAA runs the NIT and you have to be .500 or better is why Miles said that.

I don't think we win any more games.

But I think the Minnesota and Iowa games are winnable.  Here is how I would rank the remaining games in terms of winnability:

Minnesota

@Iowa

@Illinois

@Wisconsin

In terms of how we compete against these teams (not their rankings/abilities/etc), I think it's looking something like this (IMO):

1. Iowa

2. Wisconsin

3. Minnesota

4. Illinois

illinois is wildly inconsistent.  Their loss to Michigan makes it less likely (it was already very unlikely), but they are a team that I could see laying an egg against us.  They've had two 5+ game win streaks and two 3 game lose streaks so it could be interesting.  Doubtful, but of all our remaining games I think they are the most likely to slip up (and also the most capable of beating us by 30+)

People need to calm down with the NIT talk as we are still a long ways from getting a bid.  It will take several wins to get us in the NIT and not sure we can muster up that many more.  I hope we can but the odds are against them.  As much as I want to think we can get another conference win, just not sure where it would come from. 

People need to calm down with the NIT talk as we are still a long ways from getting a bid.  It will take several wins to get us in the NIT and not sure we can muster up that many more.  I hope we can but the odds are against them.  As much as I want to think we can get another conference win, just not sure where it would come from. 

All we need to do is win 3 out of 4 at Wisconsin, at Illinois, vs Minnesota, at Iowa!

We had to come back from 19 down vs Iowa to ensure our first non-20 loss season in school history.

Winning 1 of the next 4 will be something, much less 3.

As Norm says all the time, it's a message board, we can speculate about the improbably all we want.  We can look ahead and deal with the hypothetical with little consequence.  The players and coaches shouldn't, but we can.  Not a big deal.

As Norm says all the time, it's a message board, we can speculate about the improbably all we want.  We can look ahead and deal with the hypothetical with little consequence.  The players and coaches shouldn't, but we can.  Not a big deal.

I do say that.  It is a message board.  Discussion board, even.  Discuss whatever the hell.  Might be getting ahead of ourselves on some stuff but the alternative is that the board is pretty quiet. 

And, KLDM, gotta pimp you on this.  The person saying we need to calm down on the NIT talk is the same guy saying "we should have hired Miles a year sooner."  I'd say NIT this year is a LOT less far-fetched than firing Doc after '10-'11 and hiring Tim Miles a year sooner.  Just sayin'. ;)

Getting back on track....I'm thinking that Minnesota will be the Illinios of this year. An overly talented team who's season hasn't gone them way they thought and have packed it in for the season. At least I hope that is the case. It's a toss up between them and Iowa for who I think is our best shot at a win. It would be nice to send the Bob out in style.

I understand your reluctance Pimp.  That's why I included "none" as an option.  I think it's realistic that we go O-fer the rest of the way.  But I was curious what the general sentiment of the board was regarding the question of whether we have another win in us or not, and, so far, 18 of 61 respondents (29.5%) think not.

Another way to look at it is think about our 4 wins:

PSU at home

NW at home

Iowa at home (we maybe shouldn't have won this game, Iowa choked big time)

PSU on the road (close game)

We have 3 road games most likely the most we could steal would be 1 and that would be Iowa.  Maybe, maybe Iowa will go into a tail spin because we ruined their chance.

I want to think we can be Minn at home home as the last game at the Bob.  I think our best hope is for Minny to lose again and kind of go into a tailspin themselves.  

NONE of our current wins makes me think we can win any of our remaining games.  We won our 3 easiest games in the B1G.

Well, according to Sagarin, odds are about 50-50 we won't win another regular season game, and if we do win any more games, the odds are overwhelming that we only win one.  Also note, they don't even list the possibility that we go 4-0 to end the season.

Final Record  -  Probability
      16-15       -       0.69%
      15-16       -       8.07%
      14-17       -       36.05%
      13-18       -       55.19%