Forecasting 2023-24 lineup

Norm Peterson

I'd like to admit that I was very wrong about Keisei Tominaga. I thought his absolute ceiling was Cary Cochran, and I thought that was a compliment to him. Wasn't sure he'd ever be a consistent starter here. Now he's being talked about as possibly the best shooter in America and an all-american darkhorse. I'm going to the store to buy an Athlon magazine just to see a Husker basketball player listed in one of their top 10 categories. Granted, Matej Kavas was on that list a few years ago. But this is different. 

1 hour ago, k3s3i said:

cj over williams is crazy talk 

Is it? CJ started 24 games last year for a team that was 12 spots higher than Charlotte, according to KenPom.  He had a bad year shooting last year, but shot 40% two years ago.

I'm betting CJ starts the first game because he knows the system and Fred trusts him to do the right things. I also think he returns to form with his shooting. Idk whether he's still starting in March because all I've seen of Brice is highlights. 

1 hour ago, millerhusker said:

I'd like to admit that I was very wrong about Keisei Tominaga. I thought his absolute ceiling was Cary Cochran, and I thought that was a compliment to him. Wasn't sure he'd ever be a consistent starter here. Now he's being talked about as possibly the best shooter in America and an all-american darkhorse. I'm going to the store to buy an Athlon magazine just to see a Husker basketball player listed in one of their top 10 categories. Granted, Matej Kavas was on that list a few years ago. But this is different. 

Speaking of Matej Kavas ... he's in the pros now.

19 hours ago, Art Vandalay said:

Could see it once in a while but can’t believe neither JA or Gary is not in the starting 5. Fred’s talked a lot about rebounding advantage with those 2 plus Mast and Williams.

I wouldn't be shocked to see CJ start, especially since Gary has been hurt. But Gary was a starter last year and a big part of the identity of the team. 

I could see CJ being the 6th man and his versatility being utilized 

16 minutes ago, TheGov21 said:

I wouldn't be shocked to see CJ start, especially since Gary has been hurt. But Gary was a starter last year and a big part of the identity of the team. 

I could see CJ being the 6th man and his versatility being utilized 

It’s pretty nice having a top 8 or so that could all start and not be a liability. Agree CJ will have a big role this year

22 minutes ago, JBARGIE said:

After attending practice Saturday I would project this lineup (assuming everyone is healthy / not suspended):

Lawrence

Keisei

Brice

Gary

Mast

bench in order of minutes played:

Wilcher

Allick

Rice

Hoiberg

Boogie

Diop

Jacobsen

Keita

Lloyd

Uhlis

It’s very odd Uhlis is still practicing. If he can somehow get on the court this year he would be our first backup PG or possibly start, I just don’t know how you take Lawrence or Keisei off the court.  This team is big and is definitely Hoiberg’s best shooting team since he’s been here.  I’m getting excited, let’s get the post players healthy please!

Someone else who attended practice last week said Uhlis and Gary on the scout team were giving the "starters" fits. You agree?

2 hours ago, JBARGIE said:

After attending practice Saturday I would project this lineup (assuming everyone is healthy / not suspended):

Lawrence

Keisei

Brice

Gary

Mast

Wilcher

Allick

Rice

Hoiberg

Boogie

Diop

Jacobsen

Keita

Lloyd

Uhlis

It’s very odd Uhlis is still practicing. If he can somehow get on the court this year he would be our first backup PG or possibly start, I just don’t know how you take Lawrence or Keisei off the court.  This team is big and is definitely Hoiberg’s best shooting team since he’s been here.  I’m getting excited, let’s get the post players healthy please!

Next time you attend practice, I get to be your plus 1. I called it.

3 hours ago, JBARGIE said:

Lawrence

Keisei

Brice

Gary

Mast

Wilcher

Allick

Rice

Hoiberg

Boogie

Diop

Jacobsen

Keita

Lloyd

Uhlis

They let you into practice? Very nice. Boogie not fitting in? Who is the back up PG?

9 hours ago, millerhusker said:

Someone else who attended practice last week said Uhlis and Gary on the scout team were giving the "starters" fits. You agree?

Definitely.  

6 hours ago, Art Vandalay said:

They let you into practice? Very nice. Boogie not fitting in? Who is the back up PG?

It was one practice but Boogie brought nothing to the table and wasn’t putting forth a lot of effort. It also might be hard to keep Hoiberg off the floor if he keeps making plays like last year.  I wish Uhlis was the backup PG but it may just be a group effort or Boogie by default.  

2 hours ago, JBARGIE said:

Definitely.  

It was one practice but Boogie brought nothing to the table and wasn’t putting forth a lot of effort. It also might be hard to keep Hoiberg off the floor if he keeps making plays like last year.  I wish Uhlis was the backup PG but it may just be a group effort or Boogie by default.  

After seeing tonight I’m guessing it is sketch defense and careless turnovers that might get him in trouble. Very willing and talented passer with good size though. Not overly quick either

10 hours ago, Art Vandalay said:

After seeing tonight I’m guessing it is sketch defense and careless turnovers that might get him in trouble. Very willing and talented passer with good size though. Not overly quick either

yeah he definitely showed more tonight and it may be nice to have him out there when we need someone to get to the rim.  I’m always skeptical of late additions but I hope he proves me wrong!  Boogie is a dude who would be starting on some of the early Hoiberg teams so this is a good problem to have.

To me it looked like Coleman often didn’t know what to do when he didn’t have the ball. Hopefully as the season goes on and he spends more time with the system that gets better.

He’s also in his fifth year of college basketball and looks like he hasn’t spent those previous years working much on S and C. 

On 10/29/2023 at 7:02 AM, JBARGIE said:

Lawrence

Keisei

Brice

Gary

Mast

Wilcher

Allick

Rice

Hoiberg

Boogie

Diop

Jacobsen

Keita

Lloyd

Uhlis

Uhlis would sure be nice to have coming off the bench especially for his defense.

I went to the scrimmage last night.  I have concerns about Boogie Coleman's body type.  He is much taller and more broad through the shoulders than I thought he would be.  But he is slower (and more hesitant) than I thought he would be.  His shot did not look good either.  However, I am very impressed with the way Jamarques Lawrence looks.  Strong, quick, and confident.  He looks like a BIG 10 player.  His shot didn't go in either but I came away from the scrimmage much more impressed with Jamarques than Boogie.

12 minutes ago, 75unlgrad said:

I went to the scrimmage last night.  I have concerns about Boogie Coleman's body type.  He is much taller and more broad through the shoulders than I thought he would be.  But he is slower (and more hesitant) than I thought he would be.  His shot did not look good either.  However, I am very impressed with the way Jamarques Lawrence looks.  Strong, quick, and confident.  He looks like a BIG 10 player.  His shot didn't go in either but I came away from the scrimmage much more impressed with Jamarques than Boogie.

Jamarques reminds me of Gary Harris when he was at Michigan State. He won't have the highlight reel dunks. Similar style player though. 

I had boogie penciled in as a starter, mostly because I wasn't sure about Lawrences comfortability yet at the 1, but him being comfortable should definitely elevate him to the starting spot. Boogie will and should still get some time, especially to let him work through some growing pains. I'm moreso interested in how Sam and/or Cale push boogie. They both have a year at least of experience in the system, so comfortability will be there for them. Lloyd is a wild card in this discussion and I genuinely have zero clue what to expect from him this year. 

I admittedly didn't watch last night, but I'll be there Monday. It's going to be extremely hard to redshirt Rice I think, but I don't know if he vaults over in the rotation? Maybe he can be a combo forward with CJ or Brice opposite a big in smaller lineups? Guys will miss time this year as it always happens, so maybe he's a relief guy they have in those circumstances. It's a good problem to have but it's something I'm watching, how rice is incorporated early, and what his role looks like as the season progresses 

On 10/29/2023 at 7:02 AM, JBARGIE said:

Lawrence

Keisei

Brice

Gary

Mast

Wilcher

Allick

Rice

Hoiberg

Boogie

Diop

Jacobsen

Keita

Lloyd

Uhlis

I think ulis is practicing with the team until he's told he can't, but I agree. I don't expect him to be eligible this year at all. The hoiberg boogie distinction is interesting, and Sam eluded to trying to be more comfortable with the ball in his hands and create in the post game presser last night. I would love if he can push boogie.