Keeping up with the offers/visits

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/24/2023 at 8:51 AM, MichHusker said:

Ended up being a bit of nothing. Just some news on John Bol visiting and how Adam Howard is the lead recruiter since he knows people in Bol's camp

Robin spending what credibility he has left for some clickbait.

In fairness, Hunter Sallis did him dirty by telling him Nebraska was in the thick of things and the very next day releasing a top 10 without us in it.

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, millerhusker said:

I'm hoping we add one more high school recruit to this class. If we add four transfers to our already established roster, I'm afraid we'd end up with a handful of unhappy players at some point next year, which could hurt team chemistry. 

In a perfect world I’d like to see us average 2 high school kids a year so 8 of our 13 would be traditional recruits.  I’d like to see 3 of the kids be multi year transfers, and then the last couple for portal seniors each year to fill team needs.  We’d probably have kids portal out too, so maybe it would be closer to 3 high school kids a year.  

I think it is important to have some semblance of stability on the roster or it would be hard to maintain a culture imo.

Today's world is upside down.  A few years ago I was anti-transfer.  Then Petteway, Copeland, Palmer and many others changed my mind.

Players simply are free to seek greener pastures.  Those pastures are different for each kid.  So it seems rare for a kid to stick with a program unless he is a stud.

So when recruiting incoming freshmen, it seems that you are only renting them for a year or two, unless you get those home run recruits.

Soo, can we get the Lawrence's of this world or are we destined to recruit the Oleg's and Dawson's?

Portal transfers on the other hand seems much less of a crapshoot.  Sure one can argue that players like Mack and Verge were sort of busts.  But we knew what we were getting but didn't pay attention to the warts.

I guess what I am saying is that I am fine with freshmen or transfers.  They simply need to fit.  There has to be a balance between talent and  character, if that makes since.

8 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Today's world is upside down.  A few years ago I was anti-transfer.  Then Petteway, Copeland, Palmer and many others changed my mind.

Players simply are free to seek greener pastures.  Those pastures are different for each kid.  So it seems rare for a kid to stick with a program unless he is a stud.

So when recruiting incoming freshmen, it seems that you are only renting them for a year or two, unless you get those home run recruits.

Soo, can we get the Lawrence's of this world or are we destined to recruit the Oleg's and Dawson's?

Portal transfers on the other hand seems much less of a crapshoot.  Sure one can argue that players like Mack and Verge were sort of busts.  But we knew what we were getting but didn't pay attention to the warts.

I guess what I am saying is that I am fine with freshmen or transfers.  They simply need to fit.  There has to be a balance between talent and  character, if that makes since.

The benefit of past transfers was they had a whole year to acclimate with the team and learn the system while they sat out. Now you have to be selective in both who you bring in from both a talent as well as buy-in stand point. I feel like the staff did a great job of finding that right mix with Sam, Bando, and Gary. 

6 hours ago, Cazzie22 said:

Kansas St proved you could take a huge jump with multiple transfers.  Much credit to Coach Tang for merging them into a coherent team. 

It helps when you have 2 of the top 10-15 players in the country. That was a "we're all in this together" situation, as it was an essentially entire new roster and coaching staff. As of right now, Nebraska has 7 players returning next year who, when healthy, all got significant playing time this year. Two more guys who redshirted and expect to be part of the rotation. If you add 4 transfers to that, it leaves you with 13 older guys. I think most coaches would tell you that can be a tougher situation cohesion-wise than building a whole new team, especially when you don't have all-american caliber talent to overcome any locker room issues. 

I'm not anti-transfer by any means, but ideally you'd do most of your team building through high school recruiting, and add one or two players from the portal who fit your culture each year. There are still many programs who do this (Michigan St, Iowa, Wisconsin, Creighton, Purdue, etc.). 

People remember the successful teams full of transfers, but for every one of those teams there are four similarly built teams that didn't come close to the level of their preseason hype. I suspect Kansas State will be in the latter group next year. Props to Tang for this year, but his schemes and in-game coaching weren't impressive to me and I think he will struggle there without his two all-americans. 

9 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

I don't want to sound like a broken record (actually, I don't care if I do) but one way you could moderate this lack of roster continuity in the age of free transfers and the portal is to give everyone 5 years of playing eligibility.

If they get one free, no-sit transfer and they use it after 2 years, the next place gets to have them for, say, 3 years. Which is enough time to get to know the player, get behind them, watch them develop, etc. Like Derrick Walker.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

I don't want to sound like a broken record (actually, I don't care if I do) but one way you could moderate this lack of roster continuity in the age of free transfers and the portal is to give everyone 5 years of playing eligibility.

If they get one free, no-sit transfer and they use it after 2 years, the next place gets to have them for, say, 3 years. Which is enough time to get to know the player, get behind them, watch them develop, etc. Like Derrick Walker.

There certainly are benefits to 5 years of eligibility but when the majority of guys are able to finish a degree in 4 years you're creating a class of 5th years graduate students who can go anywhere they want at any time. I'm somewhat surprised that some of these guys don't transfer mid-semester.