Andrew Morgan is N

7 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

One could also react the other way and say, if we didn’t get a bad matchup where our opponent shot lights out, we could have won a natty (because we beat Purdue).  That’s where I choose to go lol

We did have a bad draw.... NU could have wiped the floor with Drake in Omaha, 1 more win over Illini, for the instance, would have had a decent shot at playin' in NE! Man oh man! What could have been, time to lock in for 2025 in WICHITA, KS!!!

15 minutes ago, Vinny said:

How did Derrick Walker fit into the offense? 

The entire offense was run through him. He could handle the ball, take opposing bigs off the dribble and his feel, vision and passing ability for a “center” were pretty unique at the college level. Fortunately we found Mast, who has similar abilities but not quite to Derrick’s level imo. Mast is obviously a better shooter, though. I’m not sure if you’re implying that Payne is capable of doing these things, but that’s not his game at all. 

There is real value in having a starting caliber player who doesn’t have any pro aspirations. A guy who isn’t trying to showcase or advertise his individual skillset to pro scouts. Just wants to contribute and play for a great college team for one more year before going back to the family farm. 

3 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Wouldn't that have been an Isaac Copeland....

I was thinking maybe Hamilton but yeah Copeland probably the last to be able to do it. Just couldn’t look at the other team after doing it though…  Remember Purdue?🤬

Just now, Silverbacked1 said:

I was thinking maybe Hamilton but yeah Copeland probably the last to be able to do it. Just couldn’t look at the other team after doing it though…  Remember Purdue?🤬

Yep, I do... tell my son how ridic that T was. Srsly, sheesh.

1 hour ago, millerhusker said:

The entire offense was run through him. He could handle the ball, take opposing bigs off the dribble and his feel, vision and passing ability for a “center” were pretty unique at the college level. Fortunately we found Mast, who has similar abilities but not quite to Derrick’s level imo. Mast is obviously a better shooter, though. I’m not sure if you’re implying that Payne is capable of doing these things, but that’s not his game at all. 

His year two numbers are strikingly similar to Derrick’s year four numbers.

1 hour ago, Vinny said:

How did Derrick Walker fit into the offense? 

Totally different skill sets, Payne is a primary low block player while Walker excelled at being out on the perimeter being the pivot point of the offense. 

I could be totally wrong on how I see Payne but many of the comments you see from gopher fans prior to him entering the transfer portal was how poor of passer he was out of double teams.  To me that doesn’t lend itself to being the pivot point of our offense. 

8 minutes ago, Vinny said:

His year two numbers are strikingly similar to Derrick’s year four numbers.

So were Josiah Allick's numbers this year. That doesn't tell the story. I'm not saying he couldn't have a role here. But it wouldn't be Derrick Walker's role. Payne can't handle the ball and doesn't see the floor like that. They're just very different players. 

1 hour ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Why do we need to get more athletic? We don’t need to overcorrect due to one game where A&M shot out of their minds. Fred needs to stick with the same formula that got us 23 wins, 3rd place in conf and an 8 seed. 

so we can get a better seed?  and really I think it comes down to getting more from our forwards on defense.  at times we really struggled getting rebounds.  athletic doesn't have to mean they aren't basketball players.

Edited by cozrulz

We need to get better at rebounding. Take that the way you want. If some say we need to get more athletic, then so be it. Mast is a solid, nice player for us. Love his outside threat and he spreads things out. But he was outmanned almost 90% of the time in conference play on the boards. Just simply didn’t have the springs to out jump too many. Not a personal knock, it is just reality. Adding size, a 250 pound body is always welcomed. 

3 hours ago, millerhusker said:

So were Josiah Allick's numbers this year. That doesn't tell the story. I'm not saying he couldn't have a role here. But it wouldn't be Derrick Walker's role. Payne can't handle the ball and doesn't see the floor like that. They're just very different players. 

I’m just saying it took Derrick time to learn how to do those things and put it all together his fifth year. Maybe Payne could too.

Very happy to have Morgan in the fold. Will be a very nice addition to the roster.

6 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Why do we need to get more athletic? We don’t need to overcorrect due to one game where A&M shot out of their minds. Fred needs to stick with the same formula that got us 23 wins, 3rd place in conf and an 8 seed. 

Feels like part of the formula was supposed to be a traditional center that didn't have a debilitating leg injury

5 hours ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Totally different skill sets, Payne is a primary low block player while Walker excelled at being out on the perimeter being the pivot point of the offense. 

I could be totally wrong on how I see Payne but many of the comments you see from gopher fans prior to him entering the transfer portal was how poor of passer he was out of double teams.  To me that doesn’t lend itself to being the pivot point of our offense. 

i really like Payne for what he is.  He is a tank in the paint….a throwback PF.  If you need muscle down low he’s your man.  If you need a passing or stretch 4 type…definitely NOT your man.  It would be interesting to see how he would blend into this team.

I love this signing whether Morgan starts or comes off the bench. Mast and Morgan can play together. Morgan is obviously an upgrade from Allick. We'd lose a little defensive versatility, but Morgan can make up for it with better rebounding and rim protection. NU will upgrade on defense with Tominaga gone at his spot, so the added offense will be needed. 

7 minutes ago, prospect2000 said:

I love this signing whether Morgan starts or comes off the bench. Mast and Morgan can play together. Morgan is obviously an upgrade from Allick. We'd lose a little defensive versatility, but Morgan can make up for it with better rebounding and rim protection. NU will upgrade on defense with Tominaga gone at his spot, so the added offense will be needed. 

An obvious upgrade over Allick?   I’m not so sure about that 

I'm a bit confused why fellow fans think this dude will be coming off the bench.  He certainly provides depth; but I'm pretty certain that he is coming in with the mindset of a starter.  I guess I heard that same rhetoric about Josiah as well.  I personally will hold off on our starting lineup until after our team is assembled and we have our first practice or two.