Scrimmage vs UTAH

TourneyBound

So . . . seriously . . . Is Utah supposed to be bad this year?

Regardless, here’s a post on this board from 2022 — after we blew out Colorado by 30 in a 2021 pre-season game:

Return exhibition game at Coloarado

5pm - Can be seen online here http://pac-12.com/live/cubuffs

Most everyone is familiar with last year's drubbing of the Buffalos in 2021 which turned out to be fool's gold as reality hit early and often after dropping the season opener at home to Western Illinois.  What people might not know is that Colorado came slowly out of the gate last season, scrapping by lower tier teams as they built up chemistry which cumulated into a NIT appearance.

32 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

So . . . seriously . . . Is Utah supposed to be bad this year?

Regardless, here’s a post on this board from 2022 — after we blew out Colorado by 30 in a 2021 pre-season game:

Return exhibition game at Coloarado

5pm - Can be seen online here http://pac-12.com/live/cubuffs

Most everyone is familiar with last year's drubbing of the Buffalos in 2021 which turned out to be fool's gold as reality hit early and often after dropping the season opener at home to Western Illinois.  What people might not know is that Colorado came slowly out of the gate last season, scrapping by lower tier teams as they built up chemistry which cumulated into a NIT appearance.

I think Utah is an unknown team. They have like 10 newcomers this year, with some talent mixed in. Miro little from Baylor was a top 50ish guy out of HS, Mongolian Mike has good talent on the wing, and they have a few transfers that were productive at previous stops. If Craig can coach em up, they can surprise some teams. 

Other details

Was a full 40 minutes scrimmage like a regular game

The last two possessions were: two missed FTs and missed layup at the buzzer

Nebraska left a lot of points out there in terms of missed FTs and missed layups

Essegian and Morgan were the first two off the bench, Gavin was 8th, Ulis was 9th.

Juwan was off on offense. Berke and Essegian are subpar defenders. Nebraska was out-physicaled by Utah

I wouldn't say that these lineups are set in stone but it seems like Rollie and Meah are currently ahead in their position rotations.  Otherwise it seems like playing Berke and Connor together would be the lineup of death of our defense.

I am not a fan of the current starting lineup.  Not enough shooting and I don't think Meah should be starting.

My preference would be:

Worster

Williams

Gary

Berke

Morgan

There will be difficult decisions on lineups.  If it was just about offensive potency, I would go with Worster, Essegian, Williams, Gary, Berke.  It seems like Essegian could be similar to Keisei in his ability to stretch the floor and make 3s, but he is a weak defender and so is Berke so it is hard to play them together.  Not sure Morgan is a strong enough defender to make up for Essegian either.  Tough call.  But I just don't like the current starting lineup because that means three players are poor shooters (Worster, Gary and Meah). 

Edited by NUdiehard

32 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Other details

Was a full 40 minutes scrimmage like a regular game

The last two possessions were: two missed FTs and missed layup at the buzzer

Nebraska left a lot of points out there in terms of missed FTs and missed layups

Essegian and Morgan were the first two off the bench, Gavin was 8th, Ulis was 9th.

Juwan was off on offense. Berke and Essegian are subpar defenders. Nebraska was out-physicaled by Utah

A little concerning that we started a lineup of 6-5, 6-6, 6-7, 6-10, 7-1, with a bench of 6-4, 6-10 and 6-8 and still got "out physicaled"