USC & UCLA TO JOIN BIG TEN (beginning 2024)!

Red Don

21 minutes ago, throwback said:

Not too surprising, other than taking only 15 teams to the tourney instead of 16. Not sure the #1 seed needs a bye. (I'm assuming they have 2-15, 3-14, 4-13 games on Wednesday, other four first-round games on Thursday, and then start quarterfinals on Friday with #1 seed joining the fray --- I guess they could also add a 3rd bunny bracket game between 10-15 seeds on Wednesday and keep the double-bye in use now.)

I'm not a fan of the 20 league games, but TV money demands it, so no surprise there, although 17 league games would've provided perfect schedule balancing.

Cant wait to see Goggles(Wilhelm) back in PBA in the coming years!

Meh— what about this to be unique… 16 league games and 1 protected home/away each year… 18 total.

Then a 2 game round robin pod the week before the B1G tourney (W,F,Su).  Pods hosted by the top 6 conference teams where the winner goes to the B1G tourney automatically. Then the 10 next highest teams in the standings that didn’t win the pod go and the B1G tourney is re-seeded into a straight 16 team single elimination.

Pods

1, 18, 7

2, 17, 8

3, 16, 9

4, 15, 10

5, 14, 11

6, 13, 12

Pick it apart, I didn’t think about it too deep, but gives everyone at least a chance.

Edited by hskr4life

35 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

Nebraska better get competitive soon, both in athletics and Academics.  Otherwise, we could be jettisoned for more prestigious schools.

Given how this works the only reason to kick someone out would be because they don't regionally supply enough TV subscribers and Nebraska does just fine there.

2 hours ago, Cazzie22 said:

Nebraska better get competitive soon, both in athletics and Academics.  Otherwise, we could be jettisoned for more prestigious schools.

It looks like administration is taking steps to avoid that possibility 

https://nebraskaexaminer.com/2024/01/29/nu-seeks-to-protect-academic-athletic-future-in-big-ten-pledging-closer-unl-unmc-ties/

Edited by Cornhoopers

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If the Big 12 gets to 20 before the Big Ten, that would be something. People thought the Big 12 was dead about a decade ago, and even after losing Texas and OU this off-season, it's alive and kickin'! It's an impressive coup if FSU & Clemson were to entertain Big 12 membership. Wonder whatever happens with Oregon St. & Wazzu, though....

13 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

If the Big 12 gets to 20 before the Big Ten, that would be something. People thought the Big 12 was dead about a decade ago, and even after losing Texas and OU this off-season, it's alive and kickin'! It's an impressive coup if FSU & Clemson were to entertain Big 12 membership. Wonder whatever happens with Oregon St. & Wazzu, though....

Impressive that they've held on, for sure. They've adapted when the Pac-12 didn't.

However, you could argue that the Big 12 hasn't upgraded the talent that it has lost. That's why they have to play the quantity game and also get creative with changing the conference sponsorship name.

That said, I do enjoy seeing teams like Houston, et. al. in a power conference setting.

• 2 weeks later...