Bryce McGowens's Legacy

uneblinstu

18 hours ago, MitchMcGaryMunchies said:

From the comments, I think it is obvious that the NBA executive really only watched the latter half of the conference season whereas the B1G assistant had the benefit of seeing a little larger sample size and knowing more the team dynamics.  As much talent as they are trying to evaluate, it makes sense that the NBA guys give the most attention to the conference games.

The comment about him playing for a blood blood program and getting more attention...  If Bryce was one of a handful of Top 30 guys in a program, his utilization drops and he doesn't break-out.  Just kind of a dumb comment.

Jaden Hardy was potentially the best guy in the class and he is expected to land late in the first round (largely due to his G League route).  Patrick Baldwin Jr. was a consensus Top Five player in the class and he will be lucky to go in the first round.  Caleb Houstan and Moussa Diabate were consensus Top 15 guys and both will likely land in the second round.  Same goes for TyTy Washington who apparently cannot control his eating habits (12% body fat!).

tldr; Fred did just fine with Bryce.

Okay, I agree with your comments...but.

Fred did okay with Bryce.  He did okay with Banton.  Arguably, we can say he did okay showcasing the talent of Verge and Trey.  But did he do okay with the team?  Did he promote individualism over team?

This not aimed at your excellent observation.  Instead, it is more so a good view of why "the team" sunk to the current level, despite having high level individual talent.

The blue bloods can have that high level talent, but their team concept is priority over individual accomplishments...or so it seems.

6 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Okay, I agree with your comments...but.

Fred did okay with Bryce.  He did okay with Banton.  Arguably, we can say he did okay showcasing the talent of Verge and Trey.  But did he do okay with the team?  Did he promote individualism over team?

This not aimed at your excellent observation.  Instead, it is more so a good view of why "the team" sunk to the current level, despite having high level individual talent.

The blue bloods can have that high level talent, but their team concept is priority over individual accomplishments...or so it seems.

This is the crux of the matter, when we’ve had NBA talent in the past, ‘94, ‘96, ‘99, it’s lead to on court success. Now it seems we have a string of Juco-All Americans, Mr. Basketball’s & 4 Stars that show up & literally don’t do anything. Flipping the roster every year isn’t helping, but we need some cohesion & “buy in” right NOW or that Rock Bottom thread might seem quaint by January…

If I’m not mistaken we didn’t have ANYONE drafted between Venson Hamilton & Isaiah Roby. Fred got Banton into the NBA but I wouldn’t put him in the Top 25 players to play at the U. It’s time to turn NBA talent into on Court success. High End talent doesn’t want to compete on last place teams…

10 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

If I’m not mistaken we didn’t have ANYONE drafted between Venson Hamilton & Isaiah Roby. Fred got Banton into the NBA but I wouldn’t put him in the Top 25 players to play at the U. It’s time to turn NBA talent into on Court success. High End talent doesn’t want to compete on last place teams…

Very true and that is what makes it so frustrating when we have had 2 kids with NBA talent in the past few years and still can't win games.

29 minutes ago, kldm64 said:
10 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

Expand  

Very true and that is what makes it so frustrating when we have had 2 kids with NBA talent in the past few years and still can't win games.

We won 10 games :D

On 6/17/2022 at 5:00 PM, MitchMcGaryMunchies said:

Hornets (13/15/45) kicking the tires on Bryce today along with Branham and Beauchamp.  If they don't shop their picks, they're most likely selecting a wing and big in the first round to build around LaMelo.

Partial credit here, they did indeed grab that wing and big to build around LaMelo.

Some of these late first-round/early second-round picks really make me question NBA scouting.  I do not understand the Spurs infatuation with Blake Wesley at 25.  And I really don't get the Lakers taking Max Christie at 35.  Both these guys matched Bryce with poor 3FG%, but Wesley could barely touch 65% with his FT%.  Christie's point and rebound output is about half of Bryce's despite similar utilization.  Patrick Baldwin Jr. was injured most of his Senior year in HS and never truly displayed the on court skill to fully support his high ranking.  He turned-down an offer to Duke and chose to play college hoops for his dipshit daddy in the freaking Horizon League and was still mediocre against that low level of competition.  Played so well that he got his father fired, but Golden State loves his basketball IQ so he's in the first round.

I think the Hornets got a massive steal.  Bryce is going to be a massive upgrade over angry dwarf Terry Rozier and underachieving Gordon Hayward.  And he won't be making $25-30MM annually like those two.  Not so sure LaMelo is going to like playing with Bryce though 🙃