Bryce McGowens's Legacy

uneblinstu

Let's assume Bryce leaves as everyone expects. What's his legacy? He seems to have done every single thing right...except the team didn't win games. 

There are a ton of stories like this from his time year. Had they had the year everyone was expecting back in November, he'd be a legend. Now...? 

His legacy would be the first 5 star recruit to come here out of high school.  He was disappointing.  Soft at times and took a lot of bad deep step back 3s.  Great free throw shooter.  

I would like to see him come back but he will be drafted in the first round based on potential.

Edited by No Place Like the Vault

Unless he comes back, which isn’t looking likely, I think it’ll honestly be remembered as “underwhelming”.  

Most thought bringing in a 5* could really change things.  But one and done doesn’t help build a culture of winning unfortunately.

Bryce had a tough job because he had to try to lay the foundation and the top of the pyramid at the same time.  People are probably more likely to remember the disappointment this season was.

It stinks because you’re right.  He did a lot of things right here.  His personality fits in well with the “Nebraska” way.  If he would stay another year or two, we may be talking about him for a long time and his name would probably be up there with some of the greats.    Unfortunately, I think his time here will be overshadowed by the results of his one year if he decides to leave.

Great individual player who set freshman records. Just so happened to play for a team that wasn't good. Had his warts like most freshman would, they were just highlighted more due to the manner in which he had to carry the team. Also seemed to embrace the state and husker nation as a whole. 

I'll be excited to watch him at the next level once he gets there. The talent is there. I hope he comes back, but I'm already looking at next year's roster without him. 

Here’s the deal… in 20 years when I say…

”Terran Petteway or Walter Pitchford” everyone’s going to talk about that amazing year where we caught fire, made the dance, No Sit Sunday, etc.

But… when you say “Bryce McGowens”

It’ll be things like what could have been, what a wasted year, wish he would have stayed, etc.

Now— should the impossible happen and he does come back.  We’ll… that could greatly effect what  is said in 20 years.

Edited by hskr4life

If he leaves, he should be remembered as one of the best true freshmen to ever play here.  

He improved quite a bit as the season went on, especially once he became more reliable on the defensive end. 

He stayed out of trouble, played hard, and put a lot of minutes on his legs.  Then he played hurt when he didn’t have to. 

I, for one, have thoroughly enjoyed seeing his talent.  The underwhelming part was the defensive coaching he received and lack of accountability he was given.  

32 minutes ago, Fullbacksympathy said:

If he leaves, he should be remembered as one of the best true freshmen to ever play here.  

He improved quite a bit as the season went on, especially once he became more reliable on the defensive end. 

He stayed out of trouble, played hard, and put a lot of minutes on his legs.  Then he played hurt when he didn’t have to. 

I, for one, have thoroughly enjoyed seeing his talent.  The underwhelming part was the defensive coaching he received and lack of accountability he was given.  

Just curious, did his brother Trey get the same underwhelming defensive coaching?  Or was it just Bryce?  Did they separate Bryce and Trey when coaching defense?  I am really curious to know, since you seem to have this inside information.

Edited by NUdiehard

5 minutes ago, NUdiehard said:

Just curious, did his brother Trey get the same underwhelming defensive coaching?  Or was it just Bryce?  Did they separate Bryce and Trey when coaching defense?  I am really curious to know, since you seem to have this inside information.

As opposed to your inside info on how awesome things are, including 3 losses to a Northwestern team that showed how great it is today.  

2 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

Let's assume Bryce leaves as everyone expects. What's his legacy? He seems to have done every single thing right...except the team didn't win games. 

There are a ton of stories like this from his time year. Had they had the year everyone was expecting back in November, he'd be a legend. Now...? 

I know Cale's father fairly well, kid is a gamer. Cool story to share here @uneblinstu. Gotta love that Bryce is the kind of dude with a "game recognize game" attitude in Nebraska, which is far, far away from his family's own roots.

51 minutes ago, NUdiehard said:

Trey was a dog at Pitt before he arrived, and is by far the most athletic kid on the roster pound for pound.  He didn't need much coaching to be able to stay in front of his man.  Anyone with a basketball background can see Trey and Bryce are on different planets in terms of their ability to guard the perimeter.  

My issue with the coaching this season wasn't the philosophy at all but the execution and effort exuded by the players.  Something changed since the meeting with Trev.  I don't know what it was, but defense was pretty solid for the last 5 games, and elite for 3 of them.  Bryce was much better.  Do you agree?  And wasn't it based almost exclusively on effort?  I don't have inside information about this change.  

I still think Fred is a high IQ basketball coach.  I like the makeup of his staff more than many on the board (I understand where they're coming from).  I hope the motivation the players found continues moving forward, and I'm hoping it was the result of a coaching adjustment as many have postulated.  I'm not against Fred or anyone else on the staff returning given the buyout, but that comes with the caveat that not all players show up to campus motivated.  Getting maximum effort is a central part of good coaching.  

1 minute ago, hskr4life said:

I would say he was a little better for both PSU and OSU for sure.  He was out at Wisco and wasn't very good last night.

Last night he was hurt.  I think that affected him a lot, but I was specifically thinking of PSU/OSU as well.  It wasn't just Bryce, though.  The entire team played better defense.  Something happened.  

45 minutes ago, Fullbacksympathy said:

Last night he was hurt.  I think that affected him a lot, but I was specifically thinking of PSU/OSU as well.  It wasn't just Bryce, though.  The entire team played better defense.  Something happened.  

After watching all episodes of "Monk", have you considered reducing your moniker by just one letter of the alphabet?  😉

5 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Here’s the deal… in 20 years when I say…

”Terran Petteway or Walter Pitchford” everyone’s going to talk about that amazing year where we caught fire, made the dance, No Sit Sunday, etc.

But… when you say “Bryce McGowens”

It’ll be things like what could have been, what a wasted year, wish he would have stayed, etc.

Now— should the impossible happen and he does come back.  We’ll… that could greatly effect what  is said in 20 years.

Hell people still talk about Jack Moore (my fav player).   He passed away almost 40 years ago!  Right now I think Bryce will be remembered as being the first 5* recruit.  He will be remembered for breaking Hoppen's record.  But probably little mention until someone get close to breaking his record.  I don't see him being talked about in Nebraska bball history 40 years from now. 

Bryce has already let the coaching staff know he is not planning on coming back next year.  Based on team results, he will be remembered as the first 5 star player at NU that started off slowly until he got more comfortable with the physical part of college basketball.  He could have been a potential Big 10 player of the year next year but he has decided to head to the NBA next year.

23 hours ago, Nighthawk said:

Hell people still talk about Jack Moore (my fav player).   He passed away almost 40 years ago!  Right now I think Bryce will be remembered as being the first 5* recruit.  He will be remembered for breaking Hoppen's record.  But probably little mention until someone get close to breaking his record.  I don't see him being talked about in Nebraska bball history 40 years from now. 

Not to sound morbid, but do people remember him if he was still here, and not passed away in a plane crash?  I was super young when he played.  The only thing I know about him is he was a great free throw shooter. 

3 minutes ago, brfrad said:

Not to sound morbid, but do people remember him if he was still here, and not passed away in a plane crash?  I was super young when he played.  The only thing I know about him is he was a great free throw shooter. 

I didn’t know he died in a place crash until your post. 

4 minutes ago, brfrad said:

I remember when him and his wife and another couple sat in my family's seats at one of the Big 8 Basketball tournaments at Kemper.  Was also the first time I saw Moe Iba up close as we were sitting right in front of one of the party rooms at Kemper.  Moe was watching the games from there.