uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 11; ed 33 - B1G Tournament vs. Maryland

uneblinstu

1 minute ago, RedEyedFanatic said:

There's this whole theory about constraints actually increasing creativity.  A famous example is a book publisher betting Dr. Suess he couldn't write a kid's book using only 50 distinct words.  Out of that constraint came green eggs and ham.  I think the roster constraints have helped Miles here, because there isn't a whole lot he can mess around with. 7 guys are playing, period.  He can't put someone on a short leash, so guys can play free and know what's going to happen with minutes.  So it frees him up to focus on other stuff like using his timeouts, especially since ending a run probably correlates to getting his guys a breather.  Reminds me of his first year.  He was playing 6 or 7 guys max, and I recall a lot of 2nd halves the starters never came out unless someone fouled out.  And that team way overpunched it's talent level.  So much fun to watch these guys right now.  Playing hard, playing smart, knowing their roles, what a fun stretch.

i believe it. these guys are no longer in their comfort zones. they have to make things happen without much help.

My neighbors are probably need at me cuz of my yelling

-Don't know if this was brought up, but Thor had 5 steals tonight. Thought he played really well. 

-The legend of Johnny Trueblood grows. Played very good. This will be something that will be talked about for years. 

-all 3 of the guys who had to show up did show up

-Brady needs a year. He looks nervous. Needed to redshirt this year definitely. 

Beating Wisconsin will make this even better. Can't stand Ethan Happ or Davison. 

12 hours ago, BjoeHusker said:

I'm so proud of this team.  Very easily could have mailed it in after the Harris injury.  Absolutely love the energy from Thor and Trueblood.  Glenn and James have been out of this world.  Roby has his moments.  Tanner continues to do well defensively.  Love how Miles actually used his timeouts and doubled down on Maryland's bigs.  

Used them last night also.  Wish he had in the @minny  And @ Maryland  Rutgers games 

Edited by HB

Nebraska Postgame Notes
*-Nebraska improved 5-7 all-time in the Big Ten Tournament (5-6 under Tim Miles) and has reached the quarterfinals for the fourth time in the last six seasons.
*-Nebraska improved to 2-8 against ranked teams this season while the 10 ranked opponents this season tied a school record set four other times, most recently in 2015-16.
*-James Palmer Jr. has now reached double figures in 31 of 33 games this season and 62 times in his career.
*-Palmer Jr. finished with 24 points, his 17th 20-point game of the season and 25th of his career. 
*-With 24 points today, Palmer moved past Jack Moore (1,204) for 19th on Nebraska’s career scoring list. Palmer has 1,219 points at Nebraska in two seasons at Nebraska. He is four behind Larry Florence (1,223) for 18th place.
*-With three assists today, Palmer became the fifth Husker to have at least 500 points and 100 assists in a season.
*-Thorir Thorbjarnarson has a career-high five steals today. Entering today, he had just four career steals in 30 career games entering today. His five steals ties a Nebraska season high (James Palmer Jr. vs. Maryland, Thomas Allen vs. Missouri State). Thorbjarnarson’s five steals is tied for fifth in Big Ten Tournament history.
*-Isiah Roby had multiple blocks in his third straight Big Ten Tournament game dating back to the 2018 Big Ten Tournament.

•- Johnny Trueblood scored a career-high five points in the contest. His previous career best was four against Southwest Minnesota State earlier this season.

•-James  Palmer  Jr.  and  Glynn  Watson  Jr.  have  both  played  all  80  minutes  through  two  games  of  the tournament. Isiaiah Roby has played in 76 of the 80 minutes.

1 hour ago, RedEyedFanatic said:

There's this whole theory about constraints actually increasing creativity.  A famous example is a book publisher betting Dr. Suess he couldn't write a kid's book using only 50 distinct words.  Out of that constraint came green eggs and ham.  I think the roster constraints have helped Miles here, because there isn't a whole lot he can mess around with. 7 guys are playing, period.  He can't put someone on a short leash, so guys can play free and know what's going to happen with minutes.  So it frees him up to focus on other stuff like using his timeouts, especially since ending a run probably correlates to getting his guys a breather.  Reminds me of his first year.  He was playing 6 or 7 guys max, and I recall a lot of 2nd halves the starters never came out unless someone fouled out.  And that team way overpunched it's talent level.  So much fun to watch these guys right now.  Playing hard, playing smart, knowing their roles, what a fun stretch.

There's a story about the great songwriter Otis Blackwell boasting to a record company exec that he could write a song about anything. The record exec grabbed the bottle of Pepsi sitting in front of Otis, shook it up, and said "OK, write a song about that."

14 minutes ago, hhcscott said:

I wonder if the deliberate offense is helping. I know we all want end-to-end and dunks, but it seems like the short bench has made them play slower and forced smarter possessions and better passing and movement

I think so. In January when we were struggling it seemed like the pivot we needed to make but didn't because we were 'offensive team'

Anybody else read the OWH game story today? I think our guys are plenty loose. To borrow a phrase from Kent, Holy Christmas!

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/plus/huskers-finally-having-some-fun-again-after-enduring-forgettable-january/article_91c7207e-44a5-5532-aa02-1dab82f529c0.html

• Palmer apparently forgot to put his jersey top on under his warmups and didn't realize it until starting lineups were being announced. One of the equipment guys had to sprint back into the locker room to grab it.
  • Cope was flipping crap at some loud-mouth Indiana fan in the crowd.
  • Our coach mockingly jumping over the power cords after the game so he doesn't bite it going into the tunnel again.
  • Thor is doing a phone interview with media in Iceland after the game, and Roby is whispering cliches for him to use.
  • And of course, we have Trueblood and Borchardt yapping at the Terp bench during the game

Hell, I even saw Glynn crack a smile after one of his 3s yesterday. Loose is working, keep playing that way.

Edited by throwback

15 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I think second-guessing the minutes JTB or Thor had during the season does the same thing.

They didn't get minutes then; now they are and are making the most of them. Not gonna look that gift horse in the mouth.

Not to mention, they have to be fresher and healthier because of it too, which helps!

13 hours ago, thrasher31 said:

My neighbors are probably need at me cuz of my yelling

-Don't know if this was brought up, but Thor had 5 steals tonight. Thought he played really well. 

-The legend of Johnny Trueblood grows. Played very good. This will be something that will be talked about for years. 

-all 3 of the guys who had to show up did show up

-Brady needs a year. He looks nervous. Needed to redshirt this year definitely. 

Beating Wisconsin will make this even better. Can't stand Ethan Happ or Davison. 

I was SO worried Heiman's obvious nerves on that missed lay-in (set up beautifully by Trueblood) would be contagious. Great job by the team yesterday! Can't wait to cheer them on today -- unbelievable!

13 hours ago, hhcscott said:

I wonder if the deliberate offense is helping. I know we all want end-to-end and dunks, but it seems like the short bench has made them play slower and forced smarter possessions and better passing and movement

I think this is part of it.  Glynn was brilliant picking his times to pull the ball out and run a set.  He had complete control of the game.  It was a clinic.  

The other part is that Thor and Johnny are actually better passers than Nana, Cope, Tom, and maybe Amir (though I am completely won over by Amir’s team-first play and fire), and both of those guys can handle the ball and at least put intellectual pressure on opponents with their driving ability.  Roby is an excellent passer as well, but damn if it isn’t nice to see other people setting HIM up for once.  I think he had 4-6 points from dump offs. 3 guys who can score with 1-2 guys who can facilitate is working quite well.