Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues

5 minutes ago, BmoreRed said:

Mainly I just don't think star power or a quick fix is possible  or smart at GONU.

I feel we need a program builder, and that's why I like a guy like Wes Miller. Of course you could just say that he's just Tim Miles 2.0... 

TM, Collier and Sadler just have me trigger shy on another mid-major guy. I guess I see those "retreads" having a lot of success at typically average power 5 schools and it gives me hope for that route. Bruce Weber is another example.

If. If if if if, that  happens, and I'm not presuming that yet, you open up the checkbook and see who's interested. I think you'll be able to do better than an up and comer.

Also, I hate this conversation...just in general, I don't begrudge anyone for having it...

Edited by uneblinstu

If Matta’s back issues are healed up, Nebraska in general would be a good fit for his understated personality.  He almost seems Nebraskan.  He was incredible at OSU, and a phenomenal recruiter.  

I also like the Craig Smith idea.  He’s a players’ coach if there ever was one and has proven he can run a program.  

Beyond those two, yikes.  

I’d rather a miracle happens down the home stretch.  

4 minutes ago, thrasher31 said:

Do we trust moos to make the right hire? Look at Washington State currently. He hired Ernie Kent and kept him on. Just what I'm noticing. 

I’ve said it before on here. Hiring to WSU is probably like hiring to UNK. It’s in the middle of no where, they have the attendance of a D2 team, and they are clearly 3rd fiddle in their state. We are so much more attractive of a job it isn’t close. 

Not to throw dirt on Miles, because if he makes the tournament down Cope he’s earned an extension. But if we do make a change, it will probably define Moos legacy. Hiring Frost was a no brainer, hand him a blank check and tell him to bring his entire staff who also get a blank check. This would be much harder. Get donors to pony up for a guy like Matta or Hoiberg - or you need to hire the right up and comer.

4 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

You can pretty much rule out Hoiberg. He's been known as someone who hates recruiting. And that's something we desperately need out of our coach.

Yeah, I still like him and actually loved his point on recruiting. I honestly wouldn’t be shocked if Miles thought the same thing. His quote was just honesty about catering to 16 year olds while his team was at home and he could be prepping them for a game - which I personally love. 

I hate to comment on this, as I'm hoping Miles can get things together.  However, I can only hope Moos, if it comes to that, can hire a good one.  Especially since he hasn't done it yet in his career.  Hasn't he just hired two basketball coaches and the same guy twice?  It would probably be a name we've never heard of.  Kind of like Tim Miles, wha, who?

I'll be rooting for Coach Miles all the way through.

11 minutes ago, nustudent said:

Doesn't seem like a real sexy name but he's been pretty sneaky consistent at a place that hadn't done much the 20 years before he got there

We would kill to be what providence currently is. I don’t see the fit though. He’s been on east coast the whole career and is already making 2.2 million at a place where he has the foundation laid already

3 minutes ago, LK1 said:

Matta is a top 10 coach when healthy, and that’s not even remotely a hot take.  

Yeah I'm not arguing that. And we've seen some successes in coaches similar to this situation with the likes of Bruce Weber and Frank Martin at times.

But if the only options are those two or hope that Miles turns this thing around, then Moos hasn't done his homework. (Unless I was misinterpreting your "Beyond those two, yikes" statement. That's all I meant.

Just now, B-town hoopsfan said:

Did not realize he was only 51 years old. Kinda seems like he’s waiting for the perfect landing spot and I can’t see Nebraska being that spot unfortunately 

I don’t know.  Georgia got a meeting with him a year ago.  He at least heard them out.  There’s a lot to like about the facilities + low expectations here, and he has a ton of Midwest connections.  

Just now, HuskerFever said:

Yeah I'm not arguing that. And we've seen some successes in coaches similar to this situation with the likes of Bruce Weber and Frank Martin at times.

But if the only options are those two or hope that Miles turns this thing around, then Moos hasn't done his homework. (Unless I was misinterpreting your "Beyond those two, yikes" statement. That's all I meant.

Understood.  I don’t think hiring coaches is nearly as complicated as some might make it out to be.  Either they have a track record of skills and a reputation for being a decent human being, or they don’t.  We could only possibly lure a currently fired, formerly winning coach or take a risk on a mid major that has had like one great season.  No one is coming here as a lateral move.  

Matta’s situation is entirely different from either of those two scenarios.  There are probably a handful of Craig Smiths though, but none with Nebraska ties.  

1 minute ago, LK1 said:

I don’t know.  Georgia got a meeting with him a year ago.  He at least heard them out.  There’s a lot to like about the facilities + low expectations here, and he has a ton of Midwest connections.  

Thats where our low expectations are a great selling point. At OSU Sweet 16's were expected every year, at Nebraska make one Sweet 16 and we'll name the arena after you, and you get a lifetime contract.

1 minute ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Thats where our low expectations are a great selling point. At OSU Sweet 16's were expected every year, at Nebraska make one Sweet 16 and we'll name the arena after you, and you get a lifetime contract.

And, again, he’s a great coach better person—humble and authentic.  Also, he spent 12 years st OSU with zero qualms about being second fiddle to football.  OSU was maybe the quietest dominant basketball program I can ever remember under his watch.  

3 minutes ago, LK1 said:

And, again, he’s a great coach better person—humble and authentic.  Also, he spent 12 years st OSU with zero qualms about being second fiddle to football.  OSU was maybe the quietest dominant basketball program I can ever remember under his watch.  

Also he took over for Collier the year Collier came to Nebraska. Maybe some weird curse ending stuff at play there.