Offseason Potpourri

2 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

Then why did let him blow around in the wind while the season went into the tank?

This is his 3rd endorsement of Tim since Christmas. Seems like their relationship is a lot better than the fans and media like to think. I guess people/media like to stir things up and create drama.  

What else do people expect Eichorst to say? Not quite wanting to buy this buddy/buddy show, but we shall see ... next year is still kind of do or die despite them saying the opposite, although I understand Eichorst cannot say that either. Fact is, even in the long tortured history of Nebrasketball, the last 5 years (save a 4 week run ... which was great mind you) has been exceedingly bad. I also am not buying all the positivity from Barfknecht of late either ... yes, transfers are the name of the game today but we are on the high end of that number. Especially when considering 2 of the 4 constantly referenced reasons to maintain hope for the future decide to leave.

I have been a season ticket holder for a long time (since 1990) and will remain a fan and continue to attend games, but I don't really see any tangible reason to like "the direction the program is heading." Yes, recruiting has improved but on some level that almost makes the futility less defendable. We'll see ... Miles has surprised from the get go, so I wouldn't put anything past him.

10 hours ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

What else do people expect Eichorst to say?

I'd expect him to be all in verbally though I have a hunch we won't see a contract extension. There are some very compelling reasons to keep Miles but if Tom Crean would have expressed interest in coming here does anyone think that Miles would still be the coach? 

1 hour ago, hhcdimes said:

I'd expect him to be all in verbally though I have a hunch we won't see a contract extension. There are some very compelling reasons to keep Miles but if Tom Crean would have expressed interest in coming here does anyone think that Miles would still be the coach? 

God I hope so. It would be hard to be a Husker fan with him on the bench.

3 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Miles has done a fantastic job of filling assistant coaching roles so far that have helped in the recruiting world.  If this is true, I am excited to see who we might get.

Keep in mind Ali was not an assistant.  He was a "director of player development," which was a role Miles invented in order to provide Ali with a job when his graduate assistantship ended.  An assistant coaching gig is a big step up for Ali.  But it's not like we'll have a vacancy for a position that was filled by anyone before Ali filled it.  The position didn't exist before and we might not fill it.  Have to see.

4 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Keep in mind Ali was not an assistant.  He was a "director of player development," which was a role Miles invented in order to provide Ali with a job when his graduate assistantship ended.  An assistant coaching gig is a big step up for Ali.  But it's not like we'll have a vacancy for a position that was filled by anyone before Ali filled it.  The position didn't exist before and we might not fill it.  Have to see.

I doubt we'll see them fill the role directly. Perhaps with a GA, but probably not in that capacity. I think they'll do like they did with Owens and spread those duties around and perhaps bump the salaries of guys like Eaton and Sapp. All this is assuming that Ali does get that job. I think they've got a bigger staff than most programs, so they should be able to absorb those responsibilities.

True, it wasn't a recruiting position...

...but having a "one shining moment" guy on your staff doesn't hurt any.  

Going from Miles to a Miles protege says good things, IMO.

Good luck, Ali.  May you continue to swish all of your ridiculously high-pressure 3 pointers in life!

38 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Right, forgot about that!

Good luck to Ali-seems like a good guy. Obviously his three point stroke didn't rub off on anyone while he was here. The only person I can think of who got as much mileage out of one play (the KU shot) is Matt Davison.And he will always have a child with Lincoln,Nebraska on the birth certificate (like one of mine who has Waterville, Maine on his).

34 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

Good luck to Ali-seems like a good guy. Obviously his three point stroke didn't rub off on anyone while he was here. The only person I can think of who got as much mileage out of one play (the KU shot) is Matt Davison.And he will always have a child with Lincoln,Nebraska on the birth certificate (like one of mine who has Waterville, Maine on his).

Matt Davison named his kid Lincoln Nebraska Davison?  That's a little extreme.