Jacobson Gone?

hskr4life

MJ has been a decent mid-range shooter who took these soft hook shots at the rim and couldn't hit a 3.  Overall this made him a inefficient scorer.

His freshman year he was pretty serviceable and his ability to get to the FT line augmented that.

Last year all of his other rebounding/ball handling/etc numbers propped up the fact his shooting numbers looked like Junior year Benny Parker in terms of efficiency...just a real slog of a year for Jacobson.

It's a good get for Iowa St. and a good fit for MJ besides it being even closer to home for him.

At this point for MJ he'll be a Junior PF/C and ISU doesn't have any Jr/Sr big men on the roster.  He'll be in the mix to start.

For ISU his floor is good rebounder/solid defender who backs up at 4/5 (That was what he was looking at for his role at Nebraska)  If he can develop either a post game or that outside shot, he has a good chance at starting.

13 hours ago, LK1 said:

No problems with the kid.  I always thought he deserved to be better than he was.  But he's an ordinary D1 role player.  

I'll always be pissed that we didn't keep Morrow or use him correctly, but not Jacobson.  He's a coaching nightmare--great practice and effort player who earns in-game minutes and then underperforms.  

Curious to see how you felt Morrow should have been used differently. His skill set seemed to greatly limit where and how he could be used.

28 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

Curious to see how you felt Morrow should have been used differently. His skill set seemed to greatly limit where and how he could be used.

Traditional power forward all day.  He would've been more effective on the offensive glass and weakside/pick and roll defense.  MJ was exposed at times defensively with other opposing 4s with guard skills.  I think Morrow and Jordy together would've been a nightmare to deal with on both ends of the court.  But my dream never came true except for a short spurt against KU (second half... played them even).  

1 hour ago, LK1 said:

Traditional power forward all day.  He would've been more effective on the offensive glass and weakside/pick and roll defense.  MJ was exposed at times defensively with other opposing 4s with guard skills.  I think Morrow and Jordy together would've been a nightmare to deal with on both ends of the court.  But my dream never came true except for a short spurt against KU (second half... played them even).  

I feel that we used Morrow correctly for how the roster was set up for his two years here.  Had he stuck it out here at Nebraska, I feel he would have been playing much more in the role that you describe this year.  However, he would have also had to split those minutes with Copeland and play some time at the 5 as well.

3 hours ago, 49r said:

Michael Jacobson: “I want to make some NCAA Tournaments”

https://cyclonefanatic.com/2017/05/recruiting-jacobson-hopes-transfer-to-isu-helps-him-reach-ncaa-tournament/

sick burn...

Maybe he was referencing the fact that he was going to have to be sitting and watching his Husker teammates play in the NCAA next year had he stayed! :ph34r:

I personally saw less and less time for MJ as the year would have went on here at Nebraska for next year and the year after.  You had Jordy at the 5 now and he would have been behind both Ed and Copeland as well I feel.

1 hour ago, LK1 said:

So you're saying you wish he would have played with Jordy more so he didn't have to guard the 5? Offensively there was nothing different from what he did to what a traditional power forward would do.

4 hours ago, LK1 said:

Didn't this happen the last few games of last season? Other than that the reason it didn't happen more was because Jordy wasn't up to speed at the beginning of the year. As Jordy got to a point where he could handle more minutes, Ed was hurt. Then finally toward the end of the year when 1) Morrow was healthier and 2)Jordy had developed, they saw the floor together. I doubt Ed would've been 'misused' if we had a body to play the 5.

19 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

So you're saying you wish he would have played with Jordy more so he didn't have to guard the 5? Offensively there was nothing different from what he did to what a traditional power forward would do.

To your first question, yes, Morrow guarding the 4 would've allowed more versatility defensively because he was a better perimeter defender than Jacobson and he would've had more opportunities for weakside help defense and shotblocking.  Offensively, he would've been more dominant on the glass because there probably isn't a 4 in the conference who can block him out consistently.  What he did on the offensive glass against opposing 5s was pretty remarkable given his size.  I always wanted to see him beat up on a 4.  It rarely happened.  

16 hours ago, ajb5856 said:

Didn't this happen the last few games of last season? Other than that the reason it didn't happen more was because Jordy wasn't up to speed at the beginning of the year. As Jordy got to a point where he could handle more minutes, Ed was hurt. Then finally toward the end of the year when 1) Morrow was healthier and 2)Jordy had developed, they saw the floor together. I doubt Ed would've been 'misused' if we had a body to play the 5.

I don't think that happened.  In fact, the only game I remember them playing together at the same time was KU.  Jordy was starting over Morrow at the end of the year after Morrow's injury.  Morrow was coming off the bench for Jordy, and Jacobson was starting at the 4.  To not have Morrow in place of Jacobson was insane to me.  

As for Jordy, he should've received way more minutes than he was given last year.  He needed to be given the chance to foul out a couple of times to catch up to D1 speed.  He was always productive.  We just noticed more at the end of the year because he got more minutes.  The reason he wasn't getting minutes is because Ed was playing the 5.  Jacobson--who is a marginal talent--should've always been giving breathers to both Morrow and Jordy at the 4 and 5.  MJ would've gotten the same amount of total minutes doing this, and given us a chance to expose matchups more effectively.  Those first 10 minutes of the second half against KU should've been the blueprint:

Starters:  Morrow - Jordy

Then:  Jacobson - Morrow

Then:  Jacobson - Jordy

Repeat.  

MJ should've been the Benny Parker of our frontcourt--a spark guy who hustles, plays decent defense, and can't score.  

Let's be a little real, here.

Over the course of the season, in 24 min/game, Jacobson put up 6 and 6, whereas, in just 12 min/game, Jordy put up 5 and 4.  As a true freshman.  And his numbers got better as the season went along so those season-long numbers might favor Jacobson a bit.

In fact, they do paint a slightly more favorable (less unfavorable?) image of Jacobson's productivity than if you just look at the last roughly third of the season when Jordy started to really catch on.

Beginning with the Purdue game, Jordy really started to show signs of big improvement.  He started getting more minutes and started being more productive with the minutes he got.  There's a clear dividing line between the first 60% of the season and the numbers Jordy put from Purdue on.

If we look only at the numbers from Purdue onward, just the last 11 games of the year, here's how things look:

MJ averaged 21.4 min/game, 5.5 pts and 4.9 rebounds.  JT averaged in that same span 16.9 min/game, 7.3 pts and 5.9 rebounds.

Converting those stats to 40 minutes, MJ is putting up 10.28 pts and 9.16 bds per 40 minutes.  In 40 minutes, Jordy was putting up 17.28 pts and 13.96 bds.

Whether MJ or Ed was a better compliment to Jordy is up for debate.  Neither starts at the 5 this year and both might have been bypassed at the 4 by Copeland had they stayed.  Good chance neither Ed nor Michael would have been in our starting lineup this coming season.  I think that, more than anything else, probably explains why they're no longer here.  Wish both of them the best coming off the bench at ISU and Marquette.

I'm sure that Kansas fans are lamenting the fact of the impending end of their conference championship streak, now that Iowa State is going to be loaded.

That said, Jacobson should have been a lot better than he was while he was here.  He had decent size, was definitely a good enough athlete, and is definitely a smart guy.  You'd expect him to be a decent enough shooter, with a few good post moves, to be good at some of the intricacies of the game, to be a smart defender.  For the most part he did not hit those expectations here - he attacked the glass almost as much when he was shooting as when he was going after a rebound (he sure hated backboards apparently as it seemed he was occasionally trying to break when he was throwing up shots), didn't ever do much with his back to the basket, really didn't seem to be great at the finer points, and generally wasn't a great defender (with some noticeable exceptions like against Swanigan).  Maybe sitting out a year, and not having to concentrate on being physical enough to play in the Big Ten as opposed to becoming a better player, will help, and I'd say there's a good possibility of that.  The same with Ed - they spent so much time trying to make him a physical presence in the Big Ten that I think may have precluded his improvement in other areas.  The Big East might be good for his game as well.

Also it should be noted that instead of Hans Brase replacing Jacobson in the Nebraska rotation, now Jacobson will possibly be replacing Hans Brase at Iowa State.

4 hours ago, LK1 said:

As for Jordy, he should've received way more minutes than he was given last year.  He needed to be given the chance to foul out a couple of times to catch up to D1 speed.  He was always productive.  We just noticed more at the end of the year because he got more minutes.  The reason he wasn't getting minutes is because Ed was playing the 5.  

One troubling stat about Jordy, and maybe it says more about the rest of our team not responding to running the offense through the post than it says about Jordy, is that when he hit 3 or more shots from the field Nebraska went 1-8, with the only win being against Penn State.  It also could be that this was a result of him getting better towards the end of the season as everybody else went in the tank.

19 minutes ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

I'm sure that Kansas fans are lamenting the fact of the impending end of their conference championship streak, now that Iowa State is going to be loaded.

That said, Jacobson should have been a lot better than he was while he was here.  He had decent size, was definitely a good enough athlete, and is definitely a smart guy.  You'd expect him to be a decent enough shooter, with a few good post moves, to be good at some of the intricacies of the game, to be a smart defender.  For the most part he did not hit those expectations here - he attacked the glass almost as much when he was shooting as when he was going after a rebound (he sure hated backboards apparently as it seemed he was occasionally trying to break when he was throwing up shots), didn't ever do much with his back to the basket, really didn't seem to be great at the finer points, and generally wasn't a great defender (with some noticeable exceptions like against Swanigan).  Maybe sitting out a year, and not having to concentrate on being physical enough to play in the Big Ten as opposed to becoming a better player, will help, and I'd say there's a good possibility of that.  The same with Ed - they spent so much time trying to make him a physical presence in the Big Ten that I think may have precluded his improvement in other areas.  The Big East might be good for his game as well.

Also it should be noted that instead of Hans Brase replacing Jacobson in the Nebraska rotation, now Jacobson will possibly be replacing Hans Brase at Iowa State.

I'd say he performed about as well as expected of a kid who had only one power-5 conference basketball offer out of high school.

We were his only one, right?  I may be way off here. It's happened before.

Edited by atskooc

3 hours ago, nustudent said:

Jacobson is better than people give him credit for and we'll miss him more than people lead on right now.   We have little PF depth right now and that's with a healthy eligible Copeland.   And that's not a given.   Jacobson would've still played 20+ mpg this year 

Yeah, I know.  It was kind of sour grapes on my part.  I'm still a bit bitter about how he left.  Especially the part about him having lunch with the Xavier coach at a local joint a short walk from PBA.  I mean, right there in the very place where his loyal followers cheered him on.  Imagine how his mom would have felt if his dad had screwed some bimbo in the marital bed.  I mean, every time his mom eats at Lazlo's now, she's going to think about how her man nailed that skank ho there and she'll just never be able to sleep comfortably there again without thinking about daddy doing the nasty with some cheap tramp there. In her bed!  Er, Lazlo's.  Or whatever.  You get my point.  I mean, it just pisses me off.

49 minutes ago, nustudent said:

Losing one hurt.   Losing both...really hurts....and at a devastating level until Copeland gets his waiver.

See, I'm kinda chill about this.  We got Jordy and Duby on the inside, right?  

Back court, you got Watson and Gill and Evan Taylor and that Thomas Allen kid.

On the wing, you got James Palmer and Nana.

And then, your stretch 4s are Roby and McVeigh.

We got this.

58 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

See, I'm kinda chill about this.  We got Jordy and Duby on the inside, right?  

Back court, you got Watson and Gill and Evan Taylor and that Thomas Allen kid.

On the wing, you got James Palmer and Nana.

And then, your stretch 4s are Roby and McVeigh.

We got this.

Duby is a big step down    Roby and mcveigh aren't full time stretch 4s.  We're not better off.   He would've played....a lot and that's with Copeland.  God forbid we don't get him full time. 

Edited by nustudent

8 hours ago, nustudent said:

Duby is a big step down    Roby and mcveigh aren't full time stretch 4s.  We're not better off.   He would've played....a lot and that's with Copeland.  God forbid we don't get him full time. 

Roby is a better 4 than Jacobson.  I think he and Copeland would've taken the 3-4 spots over with no Ed and Jacobson would've been relegated to spot minutes at the 4 and 5, where he belonged.  I think he knew the writing was on the wall.  Agree on McVeigh.  I hate him at the 4.  If Copeland is cleared--and I think he will be--we are better off at the 4 than last season.  At this very moment in time, though--prior to Copeland's eligibility--we're not better off, I guess.