Wilhelm Breidenbach gone

Unfortunately, we'll not get the opportunity to see what he could have done with 2 full seasons under his belt.  Injuries and pretty good depth at his position hampered him.

He was on my list of possible break out contenders for next year.  Don't think he was ever going to be a starter, but also feel that he could have developed into a nice 7th-9th man role player had he stuck around.  

Completely see him not wanting that role though and wish him nothing but the best.  Someone is going to get a player with potential, heart, and hustle.

Makes sense as he was simply buried on the depth chart with all the guys we brought in.  Not much playing time behind Reink, Keita, Allick and Gary considering everyone but Keita could conceivably play the 4 or 5.  He didn't develop into the guy we thought he would out of HS and he likely won't on the bench.  Gives us a shot at taking a project, a freshman, or in the Grant Nelson lottery. Probably the best for us both.

4 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

He was a good guy. I ran into him before the season started last year and talked to him about how his rehab was going and how things looked headed into the season. Good kid. I shall not speak ill of him.

But did anyone have him pencilled in as a starter?

His fight and grit would have pushed his teammates.  Sorry, in my mind, this is a bad loss.

13 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

His fight and grit would have pushed his teammates.  Sorry, in my mind, this is a bad loss.

I would normally agree but there might be something coming down the pike given how things are currently going this offseason with regard to recruiting.  No inside knowledge.  Love WB.  

5 minutes ago, Fullbacksympathy said:

I would normally agree but there might be something coming down the pike given how things are currently going this offseason with regard to recruiting.  No inside knowledge.  Love WB.  

If that comes to pass...then fine.  But it is tough to find 6'10" players who have 4* talent in addition to the moxie he retains.  He hasn't had an off-season to improve his skills in three years; plus he is a good kid.  

Edited by Huskerpapa

1 hour ago, Huskerpapa said:

That sucks.  It really does.  People who are assuming he wasn't going to improve are wrong in my humble opinion.  A blow in my opinion.

would of logged atleast 20 dnp’s this season, good for both sides

21 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

If that comes to pass...then fine.  But it is tough to find 6'10" players who have 4* talent in addition to the moxie he retains.  He hasn't had an off-season to improve his skills in three years; plus he is a good kid.  

Nobody is doubting he was a good kid as are hundreds of kids on teams all over the county.  That doesn't mean you keep them on scholarship especially where Fred is coaching to keep his job.  He doesn't have the time for long term development right now.  The reality of it is that he has not developed into the player we all hoped he could be.  Certainly he still could do that and hope he does but think it is in our best interest for him to try and develop his game at a different school.  

27 minutes ago, No Place Like the Vault said:

He gave great effort but his shot form left a lot to be desired. 

Besides the lack of athleticism/coordination, I think the wild shot form is what surprised me the most and was one of the biggest reasons I couldn’t come around on him. Career 21% three point shooter. 

He was a tweener who didn’t have the attributes to excel at either the 4 or 5. 

If nothing else, this hurts us in practice.  Being defended by a 6'10" dude who plays like his hair is on fire can only make you better. 

That being said, most teams play a rotation of 7-9 guys and WB was not among our current 7-9 best players.  Injuries and foul trouble do happen, so he still would have played.  But probably not nearly as much as a third-year player would want.  I wish him well, and hope he finds success at a lower competition level.  He could tear it up as a center in a league like the Summit.