Southern (4-7) vs. Nebraska (5-6) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

2 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

And he played how many minutes coming in to tonight? Let's hope going forward he's not yanked after one defensive mistake. But man, we were bad again tonight. This looks like a 4-14 type Big ten team right now. 

I think it had to hit Miles in the head tonight.....from here on out he needs to ride or die with the young guys.

10 minutes ago, LK1 said:

For the record, I don't think Southern is as terrible as some other posters... they were a tourney team last year with three returning starters.  That said, Evan Taylor got 30 minutes tonight.  Absolutely mind blowing.  

To be fair to ET, he did have 8 points & 4 steals. Perfect 4-4 FTs & 2 assists with no turnovers. That's a solid outing from a tough player.

2 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

To be fair to ET, he did have 8 points & 4 steals. Perfect 4-4 FTs & 2 assists with no turnovers. That's a solid outing from a tough player.

I like Taylor a lot.  He shouldn't be getting gamebreaker minutes.  I think he's way more suited to a Benny Parker sparkplug role.  

33 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

I think it had to hit Miles in the head tonight.....from here on out he needs to ride or die with the young guys.

Yeah, I think the rotation should look like:

1- Watson

2- Webster

3- Roby or Horne

4- Morrow

5- Tshimanga 

6th man: Roby or Horne

Also in rotation: Jacobson, Gill, Taylor

2 minutes ago, Nebrasketballer said:

Yeah, I think the rotation should look like:

1- Watson

2- Webster

3- Roby or Horne

4- Morrow

5- Tshimanga 

6th man: Roby or Horne

Also in rotation: Jacobson, Gill, Taylor

The obsession for subbing Jordy in for Morrow is just getting weird.. Jacobson got two more minutes than Morrow tonight... he and Jordy took each other's minutes, and both had less than Jacobson.  This should never happen.  I'd rather see Morrow get 30 minutes and Jacobson/Jordy split time.  

8 hours ago, LK1 said:

The obsession for subbing Jordy in for Morrow is just getting weird.. Jacobson got two more minutes than Morrow tonight... he and Jordy took each other's minutes, and both had less than Jacobson.  This should never happen.  I'd rather see Morrow get 30 minutes and Jacobson/Jordy split time.  

I don't think Ed can play two positions effectively at this point, while Jake can. So Ed and Jordy fill the same role. The solution would be to run a high-low offense with Ed and Jordy, but they've been running this offense since early fall and it's a little late now. A better solution to limiting Jake's minutes might be playing Jack more at 4. I know people hate to keep hearing "it's a young team" but it's a young team. You plug one hole and another one appears.

11 hours ago, LK1 said:

For the record, I don't think Southern is as terrible as some other posters... they were a tourney team last year with three returning starters.  That said, Evan Taylor got 30 minutes tonight.  Absolutely mind blowing.  

It's either them or Texas Southern that will go to the NCAA tourney out of the SWAC.

Jeriah had an excellent game.  But remember, don't jump on has a** when he struggles.  It will happen.  Just saying.

Also, Southern hit some unbelievable shots.  I believe four of their 3-pointers received a "I cannot believe that went in" comment from me.  I know that Southern is a good, but not great team, but they did have some very good shooters, or they sure seemed to be good shooters.  Numbers 3 and 10 could ball.

Edited by huskercwg

11 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

And he played how many minutes coming in to tonight? Let's hope going forward he's not yanked after one defensive mistake. But man, we were bad again tonight. This looks like a 4-14 type Big ten team right now. 

Gotta think Horne earned some rope tonight and we're going to need to rely on whoever is substituting guys in and out a lot this year. I'm not super confident in this though it's not like we've had 10 guys we seem to trust before.  At least for one night it seemed like not everything deferred to defense. Are we shifting gears/on to something or is it just how we approached this one game?

What was interesting last night is that we sort of switched things up on the defensive end.  Earlier this year Jeriah struggled on the defensive end as he was guarding the wing position.  Remember, Jeriah generally played defense in the paint in HS.  If you watched last night, it certainly appeared that Jeriah was playing/guarding more of the inside rather than the perimeter player.  Oftentimes Southern seemed to be playing four guards, but still, it appeared Jeriah was playing more of a PF role than a wing role. 

"Fans" that have been beating on MJ for taking 3-pointers; those seemed to be the same shots that Jeriah had at his disposal last night.  Again, the offense produces those looks, and it is the expectation that the player having those looks, shoots and makes those shots.  If executed, the offense goes from bad to good pretty quickly.

Let's stop painting this picture that Southern is a good or even decent team.   They aren't.  It's nice to get a win, but this game isn't close if we are where we want/should be. 

They might make the dance because the SWAC is so bad, but they aren't good.   It was good to see Horne have some success, we need someone to experience some.   Confidence is a big thing shooting wise.   Still want to see more Roby.   Jacobson is struggling big time offensively now.  

Also hoping that Gill has found something.   Even against GW, he looked better on the floor despite the poor shooting.  

The loss to GW probably killed any realistic hopes of a tourney run, but we can still compete with the middle half of the conference if we play well like we did in Anaheim and Clemson.

Edited by nustudent

7 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

What was interesting last night is that we sort of switched things up on the defensive end.  Earlier this year Jeriah struggled on the defensive end as he was guarding the wing position.  Remember, Jeriah generally played defense in the paint in HS.  If you watched last night, it certainly appeared that Jeriah was playing/guarding more of the inside rather than the perimeter player.  Oftentimes Southern seemed to be playing four guards, but still, it appeared Jeriah was playing more of a PF role than a wing role. 

"Fans" that have been beating on MJ for taking 3-pointers; those seemed to be the same shots that Jeriah had at his disposal last night.  Again, the offense produces those looks, and it is the expectation that the player having those looks, shoots and makes those shots.  If executed, the offense goes from bad to good pretty quickly.

Good post.  I think Horne is a 4 all the way.  He has enough weight and quickness to guard opposing 4s decently, and he's an extremely difficult guard for opposing 4s.  I like him and the 4 and Roby-Taylor at the 3.  

9 minutes ago, nustudent said:

Also hoping that Gill has found something.   Even against GW, he looked better on the floor despite the poor shooting.  

That would help this team a ton because it seems like we've been throwing him out there based on what he did last year in practice and just hoping it finally clicks.

16 minutes ago, nustudent said:

Let's stop painting this picture that Southern is a good or even decent team.   They aren't.

They're not Sacramento St though. They're decent/experienced enough that they'll come in and knock off a good team that isn't paying attention.

However, given that they had our full attention and were this close to beating would point back to the super obvious point that we're currently not a good team.