Beckner leaving

ajb5856

Does anyone think that Chris Harriman could possibly make a return to Lincoln?  I think his family still lives in Lincoln.... just wondering if it is a real possibility.

That would be a terrible hire in my opinion. Harriman's a great guy and a damned good basketball coach, but he left for a reason. That reason hasn't gone away. He still wants an Assoc. HC job at a western program, and Nebraska can't offer that to him. The only reason he'd come back would be because of his son's health issues, which is a very weak tie to Lincoln. We need a coach who wants to be here for reasons other than family convenience and the caliber of medical care.

I also didn't love Harriman's recruiting. I don't feel that the caliber of player he (and Craig Smith) landed was on par with the results we've seen from Hunter and Molinari. 

Also, there are at least four independent sources who've confirmed that Beckner was not a good fit on the staff, was not well liked by the players, and was generally a square peg in a round hole. The evidence strongly suggests that Beckner was pushed out and did not leave of his own volition. After all, who voluntarily takes a huge pay cut to go to a less-prestigious conference just to coach with a buddy? 

If people are going to criticize Miles, criticize him for perhaps not sufficiently vetting Burno and Beckner (a rush hire), but let's not act like rats are fleeing a sinking ship here, because I really believe the facts suggest entirely the opposite with respect to Beckner.

Does anyone think that Chris Harriman could possibly make a return to Lincoln?  I think his family still lives in Lincoln.... just wondering if it is a real possibility.

That would be a terrible hire in my opinion. Harriman's a great guy and a damned good basketball coach, but he left for a reason. That reason hasn't gone away. He still wants an Assoc. HC job at a western program, and Nebraska can't offer that to him. The only reason he'd come back would be because of his son's health issues, which is a very weak tie to Lincoln. We need a coach who wants to be here for reasons other than family convenience and the caliber of medical care.

I also didn't love Harriman's recruiting. I don't feel that the caliber of player he (and Craig Smith) landed was on par with the results we've seen from Hunter and Molinari. 

Just curious. Thanks, Hooper.

I must say, the level of maturity and knowledge on this board easily eclipses another board I was just reading.  Some of the reactions to Beckner leaving on the other board were simply asinine.  I am glad I found this board.  

That's because this isn't a football board that has a basketball section. 

Also, there are at least four independent sources who've confirmed that Beckner was not a good fit on the staff, was not well liked by the players, and was generally a square peg in a round hole. The evidence strongly suggests that Beckner was pushed out and did not leave of his own volition. After all, who voluntarily takes a huge pay cut to go to a less-prestigious conference just to coach with a buddy?

If people are going to criticize Miles, criticize him for perhaps not sufficiently vetting Burno and Beckner (a rush hire), but let's not act like rats are fleeing a sinking ship here, because I really believe the facts suggest entirely the opposite with respect to Beckner.

What I was told is the timing and destination were unexpected but him moving on was expected. Also what you've heard about him fitting in is very much true. Wish him the best and hopefully we can still get the 4 star from Texas to visit that he was in on.

Beckner has a personality that is very unique to get along with. He used it to develop a great player in Damian Lillard, but from what I've seen very few players enjoy training and being coached the way Lillard does. It made for poor player relations and a tough way to enter a new job. Not overly surprised to see him leave 

I watched Beckner at the practice prior to the Miami game in which I think he had the scout.  I could definitely see why some would call him abrasive.  He really rode some of the guys.  I think he got his points across, and I know he's not the only coach to use such a style, but it was a little excessive at times.  

When you have to rush a hire personality clashes are bound to happen.  And while I think Beckner was a good hire given the circumstances, I think it is a positive that Tim is going to be able to really properly vet this next hire.

"Miles said recruiting connections will be a key for his new hire. Beckner landed no recruits while at Nebraska nor apparently left any direct leads."

Might be hard to recruit many kids when you are on the job for only 9 months, most of which came during the season when time for recruiting is limited.

Oh, I think Burno was vetted fine. Tim's bosses needed to draw up the kind of contract that made it very costly for any school to pluck Burno away. 

As for Beckner...when he was hired I saw the guy's Twitter feed full of platitunidious Ben Franklinesque quotes and then, some time into his tenure, some ludicrous whine on Twitter about what he deemed to be inappropriate behavior at McDonald's and, yeah, that's about all I needed to know. 

"Miles said recruiting connections will be a key for his new hire. Beckner landed no recruits while at Nebraska nor apparently left any direct leads."

Might be hard to recruit many kids when you are on the job for only 9 months, most of which came during the season when time for recruiting is limited.

Oh, the hell it is. 

Oh, the hell it is.
Oh, Sam's riled up. Love it. Would love your thoughts on who they should look for in this situation and who could be some early candidates besides the 2 internal previously mentioned.

This seems to be pretty telling:

Miles said Monday he didn’t ask Beckner to leave, but noted that Beckner’s “fit’’ into the Husker program became a talking point.

“As we got toward the end of the season, we evaluated everything we do,’’ Miles said. “As we evaluated everybody’s role and where we’re trying to go, I think Phil is better off in the West. I think it’s really better for everybody.

Oh, I think Burno was vetted fine. Tim's bosses needed to draw up the kind of contract that made it very costly for any school to pluck Burno away. 

As for Beckner...when he was hired I saw the guy's Twitter feed full of platitunidious Ben Franklinesque quotes and then, some time into his tenure, some ludicrous whine on Twitter about what he deemed to be inappropriate behavior at McDonald's and, yeah, that's about all I needed to know. 

I disagree Sam. The rumors swirling around the Burno departure at the time suggested that he managed to ruffle quite a few feathers in Lincoln in a remarkably short period of time. He apparently was a very poor fit on the staff in terms of his personality (perhaps much like Beckner), and was reportedly quite insubordinate at times toward Miles. 

From what I heard, even if he had stayed, Burno was rubbing a number of people the wrong way. That's what I meant about properly vetting him. Staff chemistry is obviously a huge issue, especially on a basketball staff, which is small, and it appears that Miles now has two strike-outs in a row in terms of finding good fits for his staff culture.

I dunno, Sam. I think Burno's case is about as justifiable as it gets for letting a new contract go bye bye. Forcing him to stay via contract at the cost of what appeared to be a personally important opportunity is bond to generate resentment. It was just monumentally bad timing for us, and that happens.

-----------

Hooper,  I don't put much stock in rumors generally, but the official story is more than compelling enough as a reason in its own right, so speculation about an ulterior motive is pretty much useless. He was going to leave regardless, and any attempt to character smear even with cause just looks like sour grapes.

Not as big of a deal a most think. We have Ali looking for a job... Chris still looking for a job if I'm not mistaken. If posts are true and he wasn't a fit for the team, then I'm happy he found some pace to start over.

It may not be a huge deal as I didn't get any inkling Becker was tearing it up on the recruiting trail.  With that said, the turnover every single year has to stop and it's Miles job to find the "right fit."  The program continues to trend in the wrong direction...it would be nice to get some good recruiting news soon. 

Why?

Oh, the hell it is.
Oh, Sam's riled up. Love it. Would love your thoughts on who they should look for in this situation and who could be some early candidates besides the 2 internal previously mentioned.

I don't have any comment or even opinion about any of that.

But this is highest level of college athletics. Recruiting and personality management is what you do. If you have time to seek out inspirational quotes all day, go find some talent.