In state kids?

Section_316

2 hours ago, millerhusker said:

Sam is similar to Charlie Easley in that they are real quick-twitch athletes with high motors who are also great catch and shoot three point shooters. Neither need the ball in their hands. These things allow them to play a role and play up to the speed of the game at this level. Cale is a big, strong point guard who does all the things you described. He lacks lateral quickness and isn't a great shooter (although his mechanics are fine). Cale struggled with turnovers in AAU ball and wasn't able to do the things he did at the Class B level. 

I think Cale would be an NAIA all-american. Sam's ceiling might be honorable mention all-conference at that level. Sam could be a solid four year role player at Nebraska, but I'm not sure Cale's game will translate.

Spot on. Will all depend on if Cale can guard D1 guards and hit a kick-out 3pt tbh.  @NUdiehard There are similarities with Griesel, some I guess. But completely different bodies. Griesel is a very long, wide 6'7". I don't know the better "athlete" is - because I'd imagine Cale might actually "test" better in things like vertical/shuttle/sprint (or whatever), but Griesel is 6'7" and long, so he wouldn't have to have the same "testing" numbers, if you will. But they do have offensive similarities in their game. I think one of Cale's biggest strengths in posting up guards and then drawing help to distribute. Great vision for the court and very unselfish. I don't think he'll ever be able to finish at the rim through traffic like Griesel can due to his length and height. But Cale can get up, especially the farther away he gets from his injury. 

I think it's funny you mentioned NAIA and whatnot - because you're right, Cale would probably be an All-American and probably early. Where Sam, who just played 37min against friggin Maryland, probably wouldn't be? He's just in the perfect place in the perfect role, and excelling in it. 

12 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

Connor Millikan is the state's 2nd all-time scorer, he's had an incredible H.S. career at Platteview. I have watched him play a bunch of times, he has a knack for the game & with his longer arms he is able to create issues for his opponents. I think he's going to Dordt College in Iowa, which is probably a good fit for his game. I believe he wants to thrive right away, and he is getting a scholarship to do that. I'm sure he could help NU in some form but I doubt it's in the cards at this time.

One of my current students is going to play football for Dordt. 

20 minutes ago, Art Vandalay said:

I think Sam is more athletic than some of you give him credit for. He has nice quickness, decent hops, and pretty strong. Think his shot is better than OK. To me he has improved a lot since high school and if he had his Dad's height look out. 

Oh for sure - he's an athlete no question. He's got sneaky hops too. I think what we're saying more though is that it's not necessarily his "athleticism" from a NFL-combine perspective that is helping him excell right now. It's his type of game with the physical tools he does have that is allowing him so much success in this role. I think the point being made is he'd look and being doing almost exactly what's he doing now, whether he was playing at Duke, Nebraska, UNK, or Midland (to varying degrees obviously). Where a guy like Cale might never be able to adapt his game to a role here, but on the other end could potentially be "UNK's" best player or an All-American for Midland. If that makes sense? 

I have no idea if Wes Dreamer (Elmwood-Murdock, Lincoln East, Northwest Missouri State) will jump into the portal for his fifth year, but if he does I think they'd want to look at a local kid that already has two national titles (or maybe three if you count being ranked #1 when the postseason got cancelled).

image.png

On 2/26/2023 at 8:44 PM, Dead Dog Alley said:

I have no idea if Wes Dreamer (Elmwood-Murdock, Lincoln East, Northwest Missouri State) will jump into the portal for his fifth year, but if he does I think they'd want to look at a local kid that already has two national titles (or maybe three if you count being ranked #1 when the postseason got cancelled).

image.png

I have not seen Wes play in a long, long time - so remember that caveat. But if I remember watching him play, D2 was a perfect fit for him. Kind of a tweener. But who knows. 

2024 kid to watch - Elijah Gaeth from Millard North. Young man can HOOP. 6'3", long point guard. Handles it super well, his shot is be-a-u-ti-ful. My favorite part of his game was the way the ball comes out of his hands while passing. Just gets to places on the court, in the correct plane, that's kind of uncoachable and clearly of a higher-level player. 

Skinny, needs weight room bad. I could see him being a streaky and a little too ball dominant, but he's young and has the tools. But he has a game that instantly jumps out at you, and when he's on, he just looks different than everyone else out there. Want to see him down at state to see how he handles better competition, but boy Kearney could not do anything to stop him last night. 

22 hours ago, basketballjones said:

2024 kid to watch - Elijah Gaeth from Millard North. Young man can HOOP. 6'3", long point guard. Handles it super well, his shot is be-a-u-ti-ful. My favorite part of his game was the way the ball comes out of his hands while passing. Just gets to places on the court, in the correct plane, that's kind of uncoachable and clearly of a higher-level player. 

Skinny, needs weight room bad. I could see him being a streaky and a little too ball dominant, but he's young and has the tools. But he has a game that instantly jumps out at you, and when he's on, he just looks different than everyone else out there. Want to see him down at state to see how he handles better competition, but boy Kearney could not do anything to stop him last night. 

He has been really good since he was a little kid. Used to watch him dominate back when he must have been 7-8 years old. Be interesting to see what type of offers he ends up with. 

3 minutes ago, Art Vandalay said:

He has been really good since he was a little kid. Used to watch him dominate back when he must have been 7-8 years old. Be interesting to see what type of offers he ends up with. 

What do you feel he needs to continue working on?

To me it looks like body development is the biggest thing. Consistency in his game will come with time and maturity. 

1 hour ago, basketballjones said:

To me it looks like body development is the biggest thing. Consistency in his game will come with time and maturity. 

Hard for me to really say as I have not been to any MN games this year. I just follow his stats and highlights when I can. I was always curious on how he would develop. Definitely stronger and quicker as you mentioned and his shot looks nice but needs more consistency. Very curious at what level he will end up.

15 hours ago, basketballjones said:

Stats would suggest shooting better.  Looking forward to checking him out next week.  

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, TheGov21 said:

Watched Connor Millikan play last night live. Very good high school player and will thrive at Dordt (I believe someone said he's going there). Lacks the explosiveness needed to play D1 at his size.

Saw him play today.  He is one quick dude.  I like how he plays.  Color me impressed.

On 12/1/2022 at 9:17 AM, basketballjones said:

Omaha Concordia has an absolutely massive 6'9" dude who can stroke the 3pt. Looks to be a tweener though... Not big enough to be a P5 Center, not quick/athletic enough to be a 4 man. 

Watched this dude today at state.  He definitely had his outside stroke working.  I think he hit five three's.   He had poor footwork in the paint and really didn't leverage his height whatsoever in a tight loss to Week's and Auburn.  

I'm just gonna drop this and run. I had doubts about us getting Chucky or Sallis because of Chucky's dad and because Sallis would have to swallow his pride after not even including us in his top 8 or whatever. But a guy connected to the recruiting process says Chucky and Sallis are very much in play.

6 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

I'm just gonna drop this and run. I had doubts about us getting Chucky or Sallis because of Chucky's dad and because Sallis would have to swallow his pride after not even including us in his top 8 or whatever. But a guy connected to the recruiting process says Chucky and Sallis are very much in play.

That would be Freddy's greatest pull, if true. Wow, I'd be giddy.

22 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Saw him play today.  He is one quick dude.  I like how he plays.  Color me impressed.

He had a tough outing today. Skutt's front line of 6'-8", 6'-9", and 6'-9" didn't allow Millikan to patrol the painted area today. He had an incredible H.S. career, finishing 2nd all-time in scoring at 2,639 pts to go along with 910 rebounds. At 6'-2" in Class B basketball. He'll have a great college career at Dordt, I'd imagine. He's a relentless warrior on the court.

Watched Milikan yesterday and came away impressed. Always moving with or without the ball. Was curious to see how he would deal with Skutts height as York lacked big to protect basket. Had guy earlier in day tell me to watch him in warm ups as he rarely misses...he was 1st guy in lay up line and he missed it.

2 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

He had a tough outing today. Skutt's front line of 6'-8", 6'-9", and 6'-9" didn't allow Millikan to patrol the painted area today. He had an incredible H.S. career, finishing 2nd all-time in scoring at 2,639 pts to go along with 910 rebounds. At 6'-2" in Class B basketball. He'll have a great college career at Dordt, I'd imagine. He's a relentless warrior on the court.

He still had 20/8/5 and his game cut short by ticky tack calls while he was getting hammered on his jumpers. Millikan doesn’t airball midrange jumpers, clearly got hit twice on the arm.

7 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

He still had 20/8/5 and his game cut short by ticky tack calls while he was getting hammered on his jumpers. Millikan doesn’t airball midrange jumpers, clearly got hit twice on the arm.

Oh yeah, I know. The refs had a horrible time figuring out how to call that game. It was rather ridiculous.

24 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Oh yeah, I know. The refs had a horrible time figuring out how to call that game. It was rather ridiculous.

Agree. Markowski was saying that 6 fouls should be the limit now. Not sure one way or the other with that. I've always wondered about putting no limit on fouls but 6th foul and more would be treated like an intentional foul, 2 free throws and ball and possibly having player sit out until next dead ball excluding time outs. Just an old guy and crazy thinking.

And maybe I missed this but former Millard North player Saint Thomas no longer listed on Loyola/Chicago roster.

Edited by roscoe

9 hours ago, roscoe said:

Agree. Markowski was saying that 6 fouls should be the limit now. Not sure one way or the other with that. I've always wondered about putting no limit on fouls but 6th foul and more would be treated like an intentional foul, 2 free throws and ball and possibly having player sit out until next dead ball excluding time outs. Just an old guy and crazy thinking.

And maybe I missed this but former Millard North player Saint Thomas no longer listed on Loyola/Chicago roster.

I disagree with Markowski quite strongly. There’s no need to make the game MORE physical than it already is. Adding a foul without increasing game time will just have dudes playing insane. 

11 hours ago, roscoe said:

He left at semester and has been working out in Omaha. Think Dawson will be leaving there too.

2 hours ago, basketballjones said:

I disagree with Markowski quite strongly. There’s no need to make the game MORE physical than it already is. Adding a foul without increasing game time will just have dudes playing insane. 

Agree.  Some of the art has left the game being replaced with physicality.  I can count on one hand the number of dunks I saw in four days of play.  You see muggings not called and ticky-tack crap called for little or no reason.  Perhaps they should go back to two refs...because it really doesn't matter how many you have on the court...or so it seems.