2024 Portal Watch

1 minute ago, CanadianHusker said:

Stinks but kind of what we heard would be happening. A healthy Rienk Mast would’ve completed this team. Let’s hope that will also be true for the 25-26 season! GBR! 

Odds he plays the 25-26 season?

Would think he does simply because it gives him a year of medical support and then can go play overseas. We can still help with some NIL money as well.

Would be a bummer if he sat the year and then bounced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotta imagine there is some sort of gentleman's agreement here that he plays at NU in 25-26 after spending the year rehabbing at our facilities and collecting more credit hours on our dime. However, he has all the leverage, as it probably should be for the players, so NU can't force him to return.

I'll say 60/40 that he plays at NU in 25-26, but I'm constantly accused of being an optimist.

Regardless, hope the surgery and rehab go great, and he's able to return to the court on schedule. Gotta admit that it'd be fun to see him in NU red in 25-26 in full health after he was playing on one-plus legs in 23-24.

Also makes it official that we need one more big for 24-25 out of the portal.

Edited by throwback

18 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

If he wasn't planning to play here in 25-26, we would give him a medical retirement redshirt like we did with Chris Neiman and he wouldn't count towards the scholarship limit.  I'd bank on him playing for us in 25-26 unless he is physically unable.

13 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

If he wasn't planning to play here in 25-26, we would give him a medical retirement redshirt like we did with Chris Neiman and he wouldn't count towards the scholarship limit.  I'd bank on him playing for us in 25-26 unless he is physically unable.

How does this work? He does count towards scholarship, meaning he still uses one of our scholarships?  Where does this leave us with available scholarships?

18 minutes ago, royalfan said:

Hopefully the decision being made now will allow for an easier path getting a quality big or two yet.  

I think the decision was made a long time ago. He wasn’t going to the NBA. He wasn’t transferring to another school. Overseas or sit out drawing a check at UNL. What would you do?

2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Is your perspective on the depth chart based on offense or defense? 

Yes.

😉

Literally overall game.  As mentioned, within that depth, are players that simply would plug a hole.  For example, on our trip to Italy last summer, Cale was required to play minutes at center.  That is actually laughable, yet it filled a gigantic void that existed. 

My look explored the flexibility that Fred's system seems to allow.

Just now, Huskerpapa said:

Yes.

😉

Literally overall game.  As mentioned, within that depth, are players that simply would plug a hole.  For example, on our trip to Italy last summer, Cale was required to play minutes at center.  That is actually laughable, yet it filled a gigantic void that existed. 

My look explored the flexibility that Fred's system seems to allow.

I'm wondering if we can get away with Griffiths playing at the 4, especially when Meah is on the court.

1 minute ago, hhcmatt said:

I'm wondering if we can get away with Griffiths playing at the 4, especially when Meah is on the court.

If he gains some muscle, he should be able to play minutes.  If you play Brice, Juwan and Griffiths at the 2, 3 & 4, you likely can be creative on both ends of floor...especially if you have a rim protector erasing possible mistakes.

4 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

If he gains some muscle, he should be able to play minutes.  If you play Brice, Juwan and Griffiths at the 2, 3 & 4, you likely can be creative on both ends of floor...especially if you have a rim protector erasing possible mistakes.

He needs to go into the Michael Jacobsen Captain American machine otherwise he's a 6'8" SG

38 minutes ago, TourneyBound said:

so It would really surprise if he didn't play the 25-26 season

Yes. 

And add in this: what professional team wants to pay high value for someone coming off a did-not-play year because of surgery? 

Mast's attractiveness to a professional team will be enhanced by another year in college to demonstrate his recovery.

37 minutes ago, TourneyBound said:

First, Mast seems like a great dude and him and Fred seem to have a very good relationship.  Mast is always very complimentary and respectable when talking about Fred so It would really surprised if he didn't play the 25-26 season

It would make a lot of sense for him to stay and play here the year after next. Can't imagine his first pro contract would be too lucrative coming off a knee surgery and sitting out the entire year. Makes sense to come back, collect more NIL money and prove he's healthy and productive for another year before heading overseas for pro ball. I like it. Both Hoiberg and Miles have touched on how there are too many scholarships and it's impossible to keep 13 guys happy and together. It's a great situation to be able to redshirt someone who is a leader and isn't upset about being redshirted. We could have a nice core heading into that 25-26 season. 

41 minutes ago, huskercabby said:

I think the decision was made a long time ago. He wasn’t going to the NBA. He wasn’t transferring to another school. Overseas or sit out drawing a check at UNL. What would you do?

Okay so I guess Mast is a liar and full of shit when he says he has been talking to multiple doctors the last few weeks.  Got it.  

3 hours ago, jimmykc said:

Unlike Jeffrey Toobin (Sorry this is O.T. and in poor taste-I'm bored this morning).

He did like his palm and an audience to perform in front of.