2024 Portal Watch

11 minutes ago, big red22 said:

Do we know thar?  Blaise was injured the whole time he was here.  So is he going to be a better inspirational cheerer of the team?

If we are going based on who we lost, I guess you could also say he might be a replacement for Diop. But Meah has much more experience than either of them. I call it a win to get a rim protector like him. We didn't really have one last year since Blaise was injured the whole time.

35 minutes ago, big red22 said:

Looks like we landed plan D

Plan A is competing and winning high school recruits over Blue Bloods

Plan B is hitting the transfer portal to fill gaps and beating Blue Bloods

Plan C is hitting the transfer portal to fill gaps and taking the top non-Blue Blood talent

Plan D is hitting the transfer portal to fill gaps and taking the next best available option

Seems we did just fine.

22 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Plan A is competing and winning high school recruits over Blue Bloods

Plan B is hitting the transfer portal to fill gaps and beating Blue Bloods

Plan C is hitting the transfer portal to fill gaps and taking the top non-Blue Blood talent

Plan D is hitting the transfer portal to fill gaps and taking the next best available option

Seems we did just fine.

1 hour ago, Chuck Taylor said:

averaged 7.3 mpg 5 rbs 1.1 blocks this year.

Are those his averages per 40 minutes? Otherwise, 5 rebounds & 1 block per game in only 7 minutes would be incredible!

(and coaching malpractice for not playing him more unless he also averaged 4.5 fouls)

59 minutes ago, HuscurAdam said:

Are those his averages per 40 minutes? Otherwise, 5 rebounds & 1 block per game in only 7 minutes would be incredible!

(and coaching malpractice for not playing him more unless he also averaged 4.5 fouls)

sorry, a typo: should be 7.3 ppg

Edited by Chuck Taylor

On 4/29/2024 at 9:18 AM, hhcmatt said:

Morgan and Meah would be a rotation at the 5 with Morgan playing some 4 if we think we need to match up size.  Seems apparent by our recruiting of Xavier Amos that we're also trying to recruit to the 4.

Hey hhcmatt, the last sentence in your reply above has stuck in my mind the past several days.  We've been discussing and evaluating potential 4 transfers internally on this Forum as each has hit the portal. Guys like Toppin, Okpara, Santos, Saunders, et al to name a few.  Have you seen or heard any evidence that the NU coaches have contacted any of these guys?  This is, of course, under the idea that Mast's return is still not a certain.

Edited by LincecumFan

26 minutes ago, LincecumFan said:

Hey hhcmatt, the last sentence in your reply above has stuck in my mind the past several days.  We've been discussing and evaluating potential 4 transfers internally on this Forum as each has hit the portal. Guys like Toppin, Okpara, Santos, Saunders, et al to name a few.  Have you seen or heard any evidence that the NU coaches have contacted any of these guys?  This is, of course, under the idea that Mast's return is still not a certain.

Really depends on Mast doesn't it because with Meah and Morgan we could run him as a stretch 4. Without Mast our 4 is Gary with Morgan as the backup there.  Gary and Meah have had injuries/missed time so we're gambling if we don't add another depth piece here.

With Meah in, you keep Gary from having to play center. Thus, you're looking at Gary at the 4. Ideally, Mast is available and we're just recruiting dudes for 2025 as we currently have to fill 9 scholarships for next year. Assuming Mast isn't available, I think we're looking for an Eli Rice replacement: a guy with multiple years left who could potentially start at the 4 next season and can live with being Gary's backup this season.  Those guys you listed above we very well might kick the tires on but most of them aren't on the market to be Gary's backup. We likely slow play this a bit and try to find a diamond in the rough. Justin Bolis seems like a guy we could roster if we don't think we have someone more ideal.

I think we sit on the last scholarship and maybe find another end of the roster guy during the summer. Or not.

I think we still need an athletic stretch 4. Neither Meah or Morgan can play the 4. Morgan can shoot the 3 but doesn’t have a large sample size. Meah can’t shoot outside 2 feet. Both would be a liability guarding the opponent’s stretch 4. That’s why Josiah was so important. He could guard the 4 and run the court.

Plus, we need an athletic 2 guard who can defend. Someone who can match up with players like Shannon or Obaseki. What we signed so far won’t cut it no matter how you guys spin it.

Edited by huskercabby

2 minutes ago, huskercabby said:

I think we still need an athletic stretch 4. Neither Meah or Morgan can play the 4. Morgan can shoot the 3 but doesn’t have a large sample size. Meah can’t shoot outside 2 feet. Both would be a liability guarding the opponent’s stretch 4. That’s why Josiah was so important. He could guard the 4 and run the court.

Plus, we need an athletic 2 guard who can defend. Someone who can match up with players like Shannon or Obaseki. What we sign so far won’t cut it no matter how you guys spin it.

Who is Obaseki?

2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Really depends on Mast doesn't it because with Meah and Morgan we could run him as a stretch 4. Without Mast our 4 is Gary with Morgan as the backup there.  Gary and Meah have had injuries/missed time so we're gambling if we don't add another depth piece here.

With Meah in, you keep Gary from having to play center. Thus, you're looking at Gary at the 4. Ideally, Mast is available and we're just recruiting dudes for 2025 as we currently have to fill 9 scholarships for next year. Assuming Mast isn't available, I think we're looking for an Eli Rice replacement: a guy with multiple years left who could potentially start at the 4 next season and can live with being Gary's backup this season.  Those guys you listed above we very well might kick the tires on but most of them aren't on the market to be Gary's backup. We likely slow play this a bit and try to find a diamond in the rough. Justin Bolis seems like a guy we could roster if we don't think we have someone more ideal.

I think we sit on the last scholarship and maybe find another end of the roster guy during the summer. Or not.

I agree with everything you said honestly. To add to that last part, it may be worth taking a younger transfer that didn't play a lot at his previous stop, and convincing him to redshirt (see Niccolo Morreti for example. Bolis could be another guy that falls in here). 

A 4 is a need for sure. You can get away with bouncing Brice down to the 4 sometimes, or Gavin if he adds some muscle, but you want them on the perimeter ideally. Morgan likely lines up there too against bigger teams with Mast to create a 5-out with size look (assuming health checks out). It'll be interesting how they pitch that open 4 spot, because you are right about those guys not wanting bench roles. I think TJ power would've been a guy to look at, but he wanted to stay on the east coast it seems based on the visits he took.