2024 Portal Watch

1 minute ago, nustudent said:

I think Milicic is really good....but if Mast, Morgan and Kyle all come....I don't see why he is coming here.  There's going to be a log jam of minutes there, especially since Gary can play the 4 at times too.

Juwan came back with the goal of exponentially improving his perimeter shooting.  He improved last year and believes he has a real shot at the NBA with further improvement.  He knows his future is at the 2/3 rather than at the 4.  So yes, he will certainly see minutes at the 4, but I think he really liked being slotted at the 3, like he was this past year.  

Given the tenuous situation with Rienk, I would love the addition of both Kyle and Igor.

21 minutes ago, Fullbacksympathy said:

The first thought I had when I saw Griffiths play against us was he’s going to the league.  Makes sense his accolades were that high.  Enormous ceiling.  

Worster looks like a nice big body PG who can really pass well and is elite in P&R (not a shooter).  

Both would be phenomenal, but GG is the one I’m most excited about of all the possible ones we’re in on.  Crazy skill and trigger for 6’8”.  He would start at the 3 and be a problem.  

Similar to another early Fred player who happened to get drafted and now is playing meaningful minutes in the league?

Very interested how this all ends up.

Given some of the rumors feels like they really want Gary to focus on playing at the 3.

Something like
Uhlis/Wooster
Williams/griffiths/Hoiberg
Gary/milicic
Mast/
Morgan/

Oh sure where to pencil the freshman in at and who knows if Wooster/griffiths/milicic happen

Get the feeling Hickman isn’t happening.

Just now, hskr4life said:

Similar to another early Fred player who happened to get drafted and now is playing meaningful minutes in the league?

Say what you will about recruiting rankings, but Griffiths was a top 40 recruit by Rivals, by ESPN, by 247 Sports and by ON3. He played one season of college basketball and has three years remaining and is a 6-8 shooter. If Fred helps this kind find his stroke (which he will)...

14 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

Sounding like Mast is going to have surgery and sit out all of next season. If so, I'd be surprised if we didn't take 3 bigs. There are 80 minutes to go around at the 4/5 spots, so in that scenario Morgan, Kyle and Milicic could/would all play about as many minutes as they did for their teams this past season. 

Then that makes more sense.  I'm actually surprised he'd sit out rather than just go back to Europe.

Edited by nustudent

Just now, nustudent said:

Then that makes more sense.  I'm actually surprised he'd sit out rather than just go back to Europe.

The free surgery, recovery and rehab at UNMC would be reason to stay. I'd be more worried about him leaving after all that is done, but maybe that'll be part of the NIL contract. 

Just now, HuscurAdam said:

If Mast has to be sit out either way, he is better of staying at DONU on our "payroll" and taking advantage of our world-class sports medicine. 

Debateable on that.  

But I won't be complaining about it.  I'd definitely keep him here to replace Morgan than in '25-'26

He was a bigger part of our success than people care to admit it.

8 minutes ago, GhostOfJoeMcCray said:

Say what you will about recruiting rankings, but Griffiths was a top 40 recruit by Rivals, by ESPN, by 247 Sports and by ON3. He played one season of college basketball and has three years remaining and is a 6-8 shooter. If Fred helps this kind find his stroke (which he will)...

I was actually referring to Banton and Fred helping him take the next step and realizing his potential.

4 minutes ago, hhcdave said:

Does Uhlis transfer now? 

I would hope not. All indications are the staff was very impressed with him during practice this season and I think Ulis should expect to be a starter. Worster is quality competition/insurance. But crazier things have happened. 

Edited by GhostOfJoeMcCray

8 minutes ago, nustudent said:

Debateable on that.  

But I won't be complaining about it.  I'd definitely keep him here to replace Morgan than in '25-'26

He was a bigger part of our success than people care to admit it.

I'm not sure how it's debatable. Professional teams aren't lining up to sign guys who need surgery and rehab and need to sit out a year. Other leagues don't have the deep pockets of the NBA.

20 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

If you're talking Worster, I think he's more similar to Griesel than anyone else we've had. 

If you're talking Griffiths, his play style is more similar to Jamarques Lawrence than anyone else, as far as how fast he plays and how quick he makes decisions. 

18 minutes ago, Minnesota_Husker said:

Very interested how this all ends up.

Given some of the rumors feels like they really want Gary to focus on playing at the 3.

Something like
Uhlis/Wooster
Williams/griffiths/Hoiberg
Gary/milicic
Mast/
Morgan/

Oh sure where to pencil the freshman in at and who knows if Wooster/griffiths/milicic happen

Get the feeling Hickman isn’t happening.

Who knows on mast right now. 

But as of now it would be

Uhlis / Wolster / Hoiberg 

Williams / Hoiberg 

Griffiths / Gary 

Gary / Morgan 

Mast / Morgan 

11 minutes ago, HuscurAdam said:

I'm not sure how it's debatable. Professional teams aren't lining up to sign guys who need surgery and rehab and need to sit out a year. Other leagues don't have the deep pockets of the NBA.

100% this. He will not get anywhere near top dollar till he proves his knee. He will have top Drs and rehab free here. No brainer to stay unless he is just done with going to school 

5 minutes ago, Art Vandalay said:

Dang I love Milicic, a legit shooter who would thrive in our offense. I love Kyle because he is different than what we have but would be psyched for either and if we got both that would be incredible 

If it’s true that Mast is out for next year, then my interest in Milicic goes up quite a bit.   

Theres only so many minutes to go around.   And I don’t see these guys coming to split a bunch of time.  But if Mast is out, it’s now a lot easier to rotate Kyle, Igor and Morgan.  

26 minutes ago, HuscurAdam said:

Because he can get paid a fair amount in Europe.  Even if he needs surgery.    Doesn’t the same issues apply with him as the other foreign players from an NIL standpoint.  

2 minutes ago, nustudent said:

If it’s true that Mast is out for next year, then my interest in Milicic goes up quite a bit.   

Theres only so many minutes to go around.   And I don’t see these guys coming to split a bunch of time.  But if Mast is out, it’s now a lot easier to rotate Kyle, Igor and Morgan.  

If they got them all, Morgan would be on the outside for minutes. That is what happens on really good teams and I hope we are working to get there. Milicic >>> Morgan in my book and I like Morgan.