Ohio State (8-2) vs. Nebraska (6-7) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

well, at least covid's not completely evil. this could be the 2d straight season of of our version of disaster relief. 

imagine having a championship caliber team and having to deal with this!  I, for one, am going to be grateful for this opportunity to not officially suck as bad as might be likely. 

43 minutes ago, tcp said:

well, at least covid's not completely evil. this could be the 2d straight season of of our version of disaster relief. 

imagine having a championship caliber team and having to deal with this!  I, for one, am going to be grateful for this opportunity to not officially suck as bad as might be likely. 

I guess I've seen it differently. I'd take 31 awful games that give our guys a chance for some playing time over having half a season that's cut short. Seems like a waste for developing our players.

But as you might argue...what development?

2 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

I guess I've seen it differently. I'd take 31 awful games that give our guys a chance for some playing time over having half a season that's cut short. Seems like a waste for developing our players.

But as you might argue...what development?

nah, serious me wouldn't argue with this at all. sarcastic, silly me pretty much hopes this past 4 years is something that can be woken up from and treated with penicillin. i'm getting like the othr oldsters: i'm running out of birthdays for this bloated little cruise ship called USS Nebrasketball to get up to speed and start doing something notable. 

20 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

This is the most vague "policy" I have ever seen. So if I'm reading this right....games can be rescheduled, cancelled or considered a forfeit. Also you have to have 7 players and a coach to compete, but you can also compete with less than 7 - also you can say it's still too unsafe to play with more than 7. 

I'd read this as Nebraska and Penn St won't be gifted forfeit victories unless they're against each other.

3 hours ago, hskr4life said:

I see more Rothstein tweets about canceled games right now than I do brutality tweets.  That’s not a great sign.  Hope we play.

i'm reading coinflip chances on the season at this point. bummer if it goes south, all jokes aside. as much as NU's struggling, continuing to slab seasons can't be helping things. 

4 hours ago, tcp said:

i'm reading coinflip chances on the season at this point. bummer if it goes south, all jokes aside. as much as NU's struggling, continuing to slab seasons can't be helping things. 

Hate to say this, but unless they make this a fall or spring sport it's going to get wiped out by covied.  Until they get covid to the level of the common cold where people aren't dying or being hospitalized on large scales. 

I think things (basketball wise) seem worse than they really are right now.

It might seem like every game is getting canceled, but 11 top 25 teams played last night. (It was a fine night in front of the TV for me.) 3 Big Ten teams play tonight, vs. 1 cancellation. The long holiday layoff made things seem worse because there were a lot of cancellations and not that many games scheduled. 

Plus, every team is now getting vaxxed and/or boosted and they'll test only if you have symptoms. I'd bet most, though not all, of the cancellations involved teams with unvaxxed players. And the omicron surge is likely to back off in a few months (I am not a virologist, nor did I sleep at a Holiday Inn last night). I'd guess the number of cancellations begins to wane, although they won't stop, and we end up the season much like we did in the spring: cancellations here and there, and some poor sods will be forced to forfeit in a conference or postseason tournament.

Of course, a new variant (pi follows omicron in the Greek alphabet) could mess things up again. 

2 hours ago, 49r said:

Give me a nice piece of French silk pie any time.

Speaking of food I often think that in our offense Bryce McGowens is peanut butter, Alonzo Verge is chocolate, and Fred Hoiberg is persistently trying to make omelettes, his ideal breakfast is omelettes.  It remains to be seen if he truly has come around to considering serving up peanut butter cup pancakes.

33 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Speaking of food I often think that in our offense Bryce McGowens is peanut butter, Alonzo Verge is chocolate, and Fred Hoiberg is persistently trying to make omelettes, his ideal breakfast is omelettes.  It remains to be seen if he truly has come around to considering serving up peanut butter cup pancakes.

2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

It looks like so far this season he's ended up with oatmeal.  Plain.