Nebraska High School Basketball (18-19)

Huskerpapa

6 hours ago, colhusker said:

There was another player in the early 80's who transferred from Hastings to Kearney. Think it was Gregg Kay.  We always loved singing "Going to Kansas City" at them too.

Bruce Zabel who played high school ball in Fairbury was another transfer from Hastings to KSC. Sorry it was Kearney St. when I went there and still refer to it as such even though my son now attends UNK.

And wow there appears to be a lot of fellow Lopers on here. 

K-E-A-R-N-E

K-E-A-R-N-E

K-E-A-R-N-E-Y

Edited by rr52

4 minutes ago, rr52 said:

Bruce Zabel who played high school ball in Fairbury was another transfer from Hastings to KSC. Sorry it was Kearney St. when I went there and still refer to it as such even though my son now attends UNK.

K-E-A-R-N-E

K-E-A-R-N-E

K-E-A-R-N-E-Y

I'm a Hastings guy, I didn't go to school there. But I did work at Hastings College for time out of high school. My son is a an ALUMNI from Hastings though.

16 hours ago, rr52 said:

K-E-A-R-N-E

K-E-A-R-N-E

K-E-A-R-N-E-Y

What years were you there?

3 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Thanks!

But I had to quit before it was done.  I hate when a vid like this spotlights the kid before every play.  I'm pretty sure I can figure out which kid is the one I'm supposed to be looking for; he's the one who does the good thing during the play.

Seems like a pretty good player.  Is he getting any notice?

Just now, atskooc said:

Thanks!

But I had to quit before it was done.  I hate when a vid like this spotlights the kid before every play.  I'm pretty sure I can figure out which kid is the one I'm supposed to be looking for; he's the one who does the good thing during the play.

Seems like a pretty good player.  Is he getting any notice?

I have heard good things about him locally, but I have not heard whether or not he is relevant outside of the state.

I've gotta be honest, I haven't been to a high school basketball game since I was in High School back in the 80's...but since the topic here is HS Basketball.  Thoughts on Shot Clock?  I just figured that they had one.

https://journalstar.com/sports/high-school/basketball/girls/huskers-coach-tim-miles-in-favor-of-shot-clock-for/article_faafaf39-096e-5166-bc75-18274eda76ac.html

6 minutes ago, Nighthawk said:

I've gotta be honest, I haven't been to a high school basketball game since I was in High School back in the 80's...but since the topic here is HS Basketball.  Thoughts on Shot Clock?  I just figured that they had one.

https://journalstar.com/sports/high-school/basketball/girls/huskers-coach-tim-miles-in-favor-of-shot-clock-for/article_faafaf39-096e-5166-bc75-18274eda76ac.html

Yes, shot clock please!

I agree that I want to see a shot clock!  100%.  I once played in a game that went 4 OT's and the only reason it went 4 OTs was because we got the tip and held the ball for the entire 4 minutes and took the last shot and missed three times.  They got the 4th tip, took a quick shot and missed and then we hit the last shot to win.

However, I know there is logistical things that must be accomplished.  Specifically... money.

I'm still anti-shot-clock. I still see that there is a lot a bad basketball played at the high school level throughout all the classes (of course there is good basketball as well, but that's not a problem) and I can't imagine anything worse for the game then bad basketball sped up. I think it is part of what makes the high school game different and a little special. Problems to solve that are exclusive to the high school game can be entertaining to watch.

I wouldn't mind seeing a shot clock in Nebraska high schools, but the logistics are problematic.  I believe they have been mentioned before.  The costs are much more than I thought.  Many rural schools would struggle.  Finding candidates to operate the clocks is also more substantial than one would anticipate.  Oftentimes simply finding someone able to run the game clock can be a pain, this is doubly as difficult.   Lastly, officiating; bless their collective hearts.  These jobs are low paying and underappreciated.  Adding to their burden is just another sticking point.

We can live without the clock...we don't seem to have instances of a four quarter stall, at least from what I have seen.  So the chances of seeing the shot clocks are remote at this time

4 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

I'm still anti-shot-clock. I still see that there is a lot a bad basketball played at the high school level throughout all the classes (of course there is good basketball as well, but that's not a problem) and I can't imagine anything worse for the game then bad basketball sped up. I think it is part of what makes the high school game different and a little special. Problems to solve that are exclusive to the high school game can be entertaining to watch.

kinda like a game tht is 34 to 0 at half. I watched that game two weeks ago. Glad for the running clock after a 40 pt lead.

2 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

I wouldn't mind seeing a shot clock in Nebraska high schools, but the logistics are problematic.  I believe they have been mentioned before.  The costs are much more than I thought.  Many rural schools would struggle.  Finding candidates to operate the clocks is also more substantial than one would anticipate.  Oftentimes simply finding someone able to run the game clock can be a pain, this is doubly as difficult.   Lastly, officiating; bless their collective hearts.  These jobs are low paying and underappreciated.  Adding to their burden is just another sticking point.

We can live without the clock...we don't seem to have instances of a four quarter stall, at least from what I have seen.  So the chances of seeing the shot clocks are remote at this time

I seen a four quater stall back in the 70's. It was Hastings & Grand Island. Hastings had to foul to get the ball so that they could score.