In state kids?

Section_316

1 hour ago, AuroranHusker said:

It's the wear & tear on the body over the course of a college season that hurts guys... and, yeah, it's a lot of mental wear & tear, too.

Yet 76% is still pretty good in college, ironically that's what I shot playing small-college ball, which was the best on the team. lol

I know a high school team that shot a better FT % than any D-1 team in the nation one year (even better than any NBA team for most of the season) but shot horribly from the line in the state championship game and lost.  When you shoot them and in what situation makes a big difference as well.

6 hours ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

I know a high school team that shot a better FT % than any D-1 team in the nation one year (even better than any NBA team for most of the season) but shot horribly from the line in the state championship game and lost.  When you shoot them and in what situation makes a big difference as well.

Yes, it does. Fortitude is a difficult commodity to put a finger on, but FTs prove it. I recall making 3 straight with a second left to push a ballgame to OT, and I remember Tom Wald doing that same thing against MSU in a similar scenario during the basic same time-frame. His feat is much more impressive because he did it in front of 15,000+ fans while mine was in front of 1500. The significant stakes of the situation matter. I totally concur with that notion. We lost by 1 in OT, as I missed the final shot while the Huskers won over a much younger Tom Izzo as an assistant for old guard Judd Heathcoat. 🫡

Without the intent to start an argument, I will add an observation.   I watched him play two of his three games at state.  He is, without question, an elite athlete.  He has amazing hops and made a number of elite plays.

BUT...

Some of his gestures, his body language and occasional lethargic play concerned me a bit.  Maybe it was simply an anomaly.

His athleticism allows him to do things that 95+% kids can only dream of doing. In 2nd round versus GACC he was lazy on defense and allowed guys on pick and roll to drive to basket without providing help. Also walked up the court alot but think that had more to do with saving energy as Ainsworth had no depth. His 2 dunks in the game were impressive though and watching him continue to elevate on his jump shot while defender began to settle back to earth stood out also.

Edited by roscoe

On 3/10/2024 at 1:41 PM, Dead Dog Alley said:

Here's a small school freshman, who's pretty thin, but might be worth keeping note of.  Kane Wetovick, Fullerton, 6'6", 165 lbs, 16 ppg, 8 rpg, 2 apg, 2 spg, 2 bpg.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/20321862/kane-wetovick

Wasn't there a Wetovick that ran track at UNL in last few years? Brother? Heard rumor that Kane may be looking to opt out to bigger school.

8 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Got it. I thought he was saying the two local high-major prospects were looking for blueblood offers or something.

If NU has to settle for Frankie in a final slot on the roster, I'd feel pretty darn good about the rest of NU's team. He's a great character kid who knows how to make winning plays. I think he's interested in March Madness as a 'final year' destination.

On 3/18/2024 at 10:00 PM, Jacob Padilla said:

Both local high-majors may have their sights set higher at this point, but he's already drawing significant interest from outside the state. 

Frankie as of today is the #12 player in the portal.  Not that that is the end-all-be-all, but that makes me curious who Nebraska and Creighton are targeting.

Here is a year by year statistical comparison between Dalton Knecht, the 2024 first team AP All American, last year at Northern Colorado, with Saint Thomas this year at Northern Colorado.

Season Player G GS MP FG FGA FG% 2P 2PA 2P% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
2022-23 Dalton Knecht 32 32 35.3 7.3 15.3 0.479 4.9 9 0.547 2.4 6.3 0.381 3.2 4.1 0.771 0.7 6.5 7.2 1.8 0.8 0.6 2.1 1.5 20.2
2023-24 Saint Thomas 32 32 34.8 7 14.8 0.472 5 8.7 0.572 2 6.2 0.33 3.7 4.3 0.868 1.8 8 9.8 4.2 1.7 0.9 3 2.6 19.7
Edited by Dead Dog Alley