Berke is N!

1 hour ago, 49r said:

Love your enthusiasm, but before you get too excited I want to point out that Torvik has us slotted right now at #11 in the Big Ten for next year (at #42), right behind #10 Wisconsin (#43).

https://www.barttorvik.com/trankpre.php?conlimit=B10&state=All&year=2024&sort=

We may have improved our roster some this offseason (hard to tell for sure though really until we've played a few games) but so has everyone else in the league pretty much.  To see an 18 team league with the lowest ranked team sitting at #77 is pretty wild honestly.  It's looking like the Big Ten and SEC are going to be by far and away the toughest hoops leagues in the nation next year.

Yes the Big Ten and SEC will be far and away the toughest hoops leagues in the nation next year, right behind the Big 12 and Big East. 

Sincerely,

National Media

Here is the U19 game vs the USA that Berke played in last year.  Had Big 10 players Dylan Harper (Rutgers) and Miles Corvin (Purdue) teamed up with a whos-who of soon to be freshmen college players.

Berke operates as either the SG or a wing for Turkey. He runs the court well, he's a good passer.  His plus 22 in the box score isn't a surprise as he looks like Turkey's best player and maybe even the best player on the court.  Seems like he's going to be a mainstay on the Turkish national team and you can see why people like him as a NBA prospect.

52 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Here is the U19 game vs the USA that Berke played in last year.  Had Big 10 players Dylan Harper (Rutgers) and Miles Corvin (Purdue) teamed up with a whos-who of soon to be freshmen college players.

Berke operates as either the SG or a wing for Turkey. He runs the court well, he's a good passer.  His plus 22 in the box score isn't a surprise as he looks like Turkey's best player and maybe even the best player on the court.  Seems like he's going to be a mainstay on the Turkish national team and you can see why people like him as a NBA prospect.

I just watched the first quarter. Man oh man this is such a huge get for us. He can dribble, pass, shoot, facilitate...he is more mobile than Mast even when Rienk was healthy. Fred also said on SN last night that Berke is officially taller than Rienk. Let Fred work with him on his shot and this guy will be an NBA player. 

I loved Rienk and Allick and was very worried with how we would replace them, but between Berke, Meah and Morgan, I think Fred has not only successfully replaced everything Mast and Allick did, but added more that they couldn't do. 

The season can't get here soon enough. 

Edited by GhostOfJoeMcCray

Turkey won't qualify for the Olympics. Seeing that the national team has 3 NBA players that should still be around in 4 years. If Berke develops like a lot of people think, he should be a contributor or even a starter in 4 years for their national team. 

On 6/13/2024 at 10:54 AM, GhostOfJoeMcCray said:

I just watched the first quarter. Man oh man this is such a huge get for us. He can dribble, pass, shoot, facilitate...he is more mobile than Mast even when Rienk was healthy. Fred also said on SN last night that Berke is officially taller than Rienk. Let Fred work with him on his shot and this guy will be an NBA player. 

I loved Rienk and Allick and was very worried with how we would replace them, but between Berke, Meah and Morgan, I think Fred has not only successfully replaced everything Mast and Allick did, but added more that they couldn't do. 

The season can't get here soon enough. 

HECK YEAH, BERKE FROM TURKIYE!

Berke was the one dude that could transform the roster for matchups on the court. He, along with Brice Williams, will be difficult to guard due to their length, vision, and athleticism. I agree, 2024-25 can't get here soon enough. GBR Always.

Edited by AuroranHusker

8 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

Griffiths is ostensibly a taller guard; perhaps he becomes a forward on the defensive end.

You can Mix & Match with Players this Tall & Talented. No Jordy Tsimangas to be seen, it’s a LONG way off but Fred has built a sustainable Roster that should keep us in the upper tier of the Conference moving forward. 

On 6/5/2024 at 8:43 AM, 49r said:

Love your enthusiasm, but before you get too excited I want to point out that Torvik has us slotted right now at #11 in the Big Ten for next year (at #42), right behind #10 Wisconsin (#43).

https://www.barttorvik.com/trankpre.php?conlimit=B10&state=All&year=2024&sort=

We may have improved our roster some this offseason (hard to tell for sure though really until we've played a few games) but so has everyone else in the league pretty much.  To see an 18 team league with the lowest ranked team sitting at #77 is pretty wild honestly.  It's looking like the Big Ten and SEC are going to be by far and away the toughest hoops leagues in the nation next year.

But unless I'm reading something wrong... there are 6 teams behind us.  When is the last time that many teams were behind us in preseason?  Glass half full? Maybe.

1 hour ago, Nighthawk said:

But unless I'm reading something wrong... there are 6 teams behind us.  When is the last time that many teams were behind us in preseason?  Glass half full? Maybe.

Another way of looking at it is (and I was actually thinking about this recently) we are gonna start off somewhere in the 40's or maybe low 50's when the season starts and last year we were in the upper 50's to start, so that's progress in the right direction I guess.

Edited by 49r

4 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

I look at like we were the Third Place Team in the B1G & we have a realistic chance to be BETTER. Now that might not translate to the same number of Wins & Losses, but that my friends is why they play the games. 

I’m in the camp that we are legit conference contenders given how crazy this transfer upgrade has been.  Outside we’re an eternal darkhorse but I really don’t think the staff and players feel that way at all.  

On 6/20/2024 at 10:46 AM, Nighthawk said:

Teams 12 to 18 would amount to 7 teams. So, 11th out of 18 is a whole heckuva lot better than 11th out of 12.

• 3 weeks later...

Berke is playing in the U20 EuroBasket for Turkey

Players to watch - Includes Berke as well as one time recruit Almar Atlason (Iceland), St Mary's Forward Paulius Murauskas (Lithuania)

https://www.fiba.basketball/en/events/fiba-u20-eurobasket-2024/news/players-to-watch-who-will-stand-out-at-the-fiba-u20-eurobasket-in-gdynia

Link for all games - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCXERy73Oiz_Pw9-q-7mHgoMD7JAstM5L

Date

Opponent Time Video

July 13

Belgium

11 a.m.

Watch Live

July 14

North Macedonia

1:30 p.m.

Watch Live

July 15

Spain