Michigan State vs Nebraska NET Rankings

Please someone explain to me how this is possible 

Screenshot_20240202_082123_Chrome.jpg?ex

Screenshot_20240202_082054_Chrome.jpg?ex

So if we schedule more hard out of conference games and win 2-7, that will negate if we don't win road games?

I don't know about you, but I think this metric is extremely flawed

With Michigan State being #22

We have wins over the #2, #11 and #22 teams... can't be many team with better wins then that

Edited by big red22

If we can get into the 40's, we have a good shot of making it to the dance.  Therefore, MSU staying in the top 30 would help us immensely. 

It probably comes down to MOV in their 7 losses.  3 of their Quad 1 losses were by double digits.  The others were by single digits.  5 of our 6 losses were by double digits.

6 minutes ago, brfrad said:

If we can get into the 40's, we have a good shot of making it to the dance.  Therefore, MSU staying in the top 30 would help us immensely. 

It probably comes down to MOV in their 7 losses.  3 of their Quad 1 losses were by double digits.  The others were by single digits.  5 of our 6 losses were by double digits.

We are 55 right now and i think we would be in the dance, if it was called today.  There are many ahead of us in this metric that would not be chosen ahead of us.  Especially after last night. 

Yes, being in the 40's would be comforting, but I don't think it is required. And yes, we need Mich St to stay in Quad 1.

Just now, 89Husker said:

We are 55 right now and i think we would be in the dance, if it was called today.  There are many ahead of us in this metric that would not be chosen ahead of us.  Especially after last night. 

Yes, being in the 40's would be comforting, but I don't think it is required. And yes, we need Mich St to stay in Quad 1.

Definitely not required.  There have been teams in the 20’s and 30’s left out and teams in the 60’s and 70’s taken as an at large.

Personally, I think where our opponents finish in the NET is more important than where we finish in the NET.  Quads are more heavily looked at more than your personal NET ranking.

3 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

Careful, it seems like every time we start obsessing about our ranking and making the NCAA field, we end up laying an egg. 

Nah I remember obsessing when we went 22-9 and 14-6 to finish 4th in the Big 10.  Finished strong (outside of the conference tournament) and getting the 5 seed in the NIT.  We don't always choke, but with the Nebraska Name on the jersey they place an emphasis on any loss we have.

9 hours ago, big red22 said:

Nah I remember obsessing when we went 22-9 and 14-6 to finish 4th in the Big 10.  Finished strong (outside of the conference tournament) and getting the 5 seed in the NIT.  We don't always choke, but with the Nebraska Name on the jersey they place an emphasis on any loss we have.

If NU had been 14-4 with a win over top 15 Purdue or top 15 Ohio St on the road, then it could have been dancin'... alas, it was 13-5, and a beatdown at the hands of fifth-place Michigan by 19 in NYC that sealed NU's fate. Nevermind NU smacked Mich. 72-52 in Lincoln earlier. That season still sticks in my craw. OUCH!

Edited by AuroranHusker

3 hours ago, big red22 said:

Ah the year I formed the opinion of what a colossal d-bag Joe Lunardi is 😁

4 hours ago, big red22 said:

At least this year we have the signature wins over #1 Purdue and #6 Wisconsin.  Looking back to that 2017-18 squad, it looks like our best wins were over #14 Minnesota and #23 Michigan, both in Lincoln.  We did win four B1G road games that year, though 😅

If we can just win two of the remaining five road games (Illinois, Northwestern, Indiana, Ohio State, and Michigan) it would negate the main argument against inviting this team to the dance.  Those last three teams shouldn't be nearly as motivated to win as we will be in late February/early March.

2 hours ago, MitchMcGaryMunchies said:

At least this year we have the signature wins over #1 Purdue and #6 Wisconsin.  Looking back to that 2017-18 squad, it looks like our best wins were over #14 Minnesota and #23 Michigan, both in Lincoln.  We did win four B1G road games that year, though 😅

If we can just win two of the remaining five road games (Illinois, Northwestern, Indiana, Ohio State, and Michigan) it would negate the main argument against inviting this team to the dance.  Those last three teams shouldn't be nearly as motivated to win as we will be in late February/early March.

And that #14 Minnesota team finished below .500.  We had a very weak resume compared to other bubble teams that year. We weren’t really even on the realistic bubble.