Nebraska (7-1) vs. Minnesota (5-3) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

Minny has one of the better boards out there at Gopher Hole and I wandered over there this morning.  They aren't too confident, but also see this as a must win if they want to make anything of this season.  They've already played their first game and are 0-1.  They don't expect a large crowd, so jumping on them early would be fantastic.

Minnesota from what I've seen is a bit better than last year's corpse of a team, but I don't think they're that good still. Hawkins, Mitchell and Christie are all good new guards for them. I LOVE Payne, even going back to last year. 

Great litmus test for the guys though. Garcia is an all big ten caliber guy that beat up on Walker a bit when we played em last year. Should be a win going away, but last year took a pair of tip dunks by Gary to win. Hard to win on the road in the big ten, but this should be one we can take. 

I realize I will probably get lambasted for this, but why on earth do we start game threads days before game day?

I understand this is very much like my complaint about the trophy/thumbs up reputation on the board. 

But shouldn’t the game thread be for the game itself, not the stupid shit four days before the game?

Again, I admit I’m more than likely in the wrong here. But I could start a game thread today about the game against Rutgers on Jan 17.  Does that make any sense?

We have a future opponents thread. Before the game starts (i.e. the future), shouldn’t chat about those games go there?

13 minutes ago, atskooc said:

But I could start a game thread today about the game against Rutgers on Jan 17. 

You should.  We could have a month and a half worth of Bruce Springsteen #1 songs to post. Talk about dead air.  However, Manfred Mann's Earth Band's Blinded By The Light gives us at least 1 video to play. Merry Christmas, everyone!

51 minutes ago, atskooc said:

I realize I will probably get lambasted for this, but why on earth do we start game threads days before game day?

I understand this is very much like my complaint about the trophy/thumbs up reputation on the board. 

But shouldn’t the game thread be for the game itself, not the stupid shit four days before the game?

Again, I admit I’m more than likely in the wrong here. But I could start a game thread today about the game against Rutgers on Jan 17.  Does that make any sense?

We have a future opponents thread. Before the game starts (i.e. the future), shouldn’t chat about those games go there?

NVM.

Edited by Bugeaters1

The game day thread goes back to the first days of Husker Hoops Central.  What, 14, 16, 20 years ago?  It was a big thing for away games, because everyone on this board had tickets in the BDSC. If I'm not mistaken, Huskercwg always started those threads. Home games,on the other hand, pretty quiet. I got the home game threads going only for those of us who weren't at the game.  Never had more than two or three pages.  Things have evolved. Back then, no one commented from the BDSC. We always waited for unebs post game comments.  

Here's the deal:  For those who want to bitch about timing of the posting of Gameday threads, get a life.  I have it on good authority, you have many times beat your wide.

18 minutes ago, cipsucks said:

The game day thread goes back to the first days of Husker Hoops Central.  What, 14, 16, 20 years ago?  It was a big thing for away games, because everyone on this board had tickets in the BDSC. If I'm not mistaken, Huskercwg always started those threads. Home games,on the other hand, pretty quiet. I got the home game threads going only for those of us who weren't at the game.  Never had more than two or three pages.  Things have evolved. Back then, no one commented from the BDSC. We always waited for unebs post game comments.  

Here's the deal:  For those who want to bitch about timing of the posting of Gameday threads, get a life.  I have it on good authority, you have many times beat your wide.

I don’t have an issue with the game thread. But a game thread days (sometimes a week) before the actual game is silly. Again, I am admitting I’m probably wrong in this opinion. 

That said, I’m quite certain I’ve never heard of anyone (including myself; I’m not sure where you heard I may have) beating their “wide.” But John Lennon did admit to beating his first wife. That isn’t an opinion. I’m quite certain I’m not wrong in saying that. 

16 minutes ago, atskooc said:

I don’t have an issue with the game thread. But a game thread days (sometimes a week) before the actual game is silly. Again, I am admitting I’m probably wrong in this opinion. 

That said, I’m quite certain I’ve never heard of anyone (including myself; I’m not sure where you heard I may have) beating their “wide.” But John Lennon did admit to beating his first wife. That isn’t an opinion. I’m quite certain I’m not wrong in saying that. 

Actually this was a request of mine so that I could put up any information I had without needing another thread. You ok?

Just now, hhcmatt said:

Actually this was a request of mine so that I could put up any information I had without needing another thread. You ok?

I’m all good. Especially if it comes from those in charge. 

It seems unnecessary. But as I said, I’m probably in the wrong. Carry on. 

For what it's worth @atskooc I think it's pretty common practice on other message boards to start the next game thread right after the current game ends.  I happen to agree with you that it seems a bit unnecessary, but it also might reduce some clutter on the board (i.e. people starting random discussions about the upcoming opponent while waiting for the official game thread to start) and I can see why we'd want to do it that way.

Either way, in the grand scheme of things it is such a small thing to be concerned about it is practically 100% inconsequential.  So with that said, here's the Mary Tyler Moore theme song:

2 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

I do not know

They’re BOTH from Mpls, when I first moved there I lived right across the street from Williams Arena that’s why this game is so personal for me. This was obviously before we were Conference foes & the stakes became even higher. Losing to Creighton & Goldy in the same week is more than I can take on during this fragile time of the year.