2023-24 Burning Questions

hhcmatt

On 10/24/2023 at 8:40 AM, hhcmatt said:

4. Here are the school season records for 3pt shooting. Are any of them in danger of being broken?

Made:   270, 2018-19 (800 att.)

Conference Made:   167, 2001-02 (447 att.)

Attempted:   800, 2018-19 (270 made)

Conference Attempted:   506, 2019-20 (159 made)

Percentage:   .397, 2009-10 (217-547)

Conference Percentage:   .413, 1986-87 (52-126)

24 out of at least 32 total game played

Made: 228 - Record: 270 - Pace: 304

Attempted: 626 - Record: 800 - Pace: 834

Percentage: 36.4% - Record - 39.7%

We've played 13 of 20 total conference games (tourney doesn't count for these stats)

Conf Made: 128 - Record: 167 - Pace: 196

Conf Attempted: 317 - Record: 506 - Pace: 487

Conf Percentage: 40.4% - Record: 41.3%

23 minutes ago, SkersHoops said:

Here's a burning question: How hard would we be to stop if B1G officials called fouls away from the ball on Keisei/CJ defenders like they do on Caitlin Clark defenders? 

This is the reason why I think if we get to the tournament we could make some noise. They generally don't call the games the BS way in the tournament as they do in the B1G. 

On 10/24/2023 at 8:40 AM, hhcmatt said:

1. How fast will the Huskers play this season?  Last year was the slowest of the HCFH era not only in terms of Adjusted Tempo but both offensively and defensively in Average Possession Length (APL).  KenPom has Nebraska at a speed in between 2021-22 and 2022-23. Where will they actually be? 

tempo.png

I'll wait until the end of the year to make a graphic but currently

Offensive APL 16.2 (50th)

Defensive APL 18.5 (350th)

Offensively we're sped up relative to last year and that's probably due in part to not having Griesel bring it up slowly along with maybe a little bit more familiarity with Hoiberg's offense and a little more fast breaking.

Defensively it's more of the same where we try to eliminate fast breaks and tend to double into the post so teams tend to work until they need to settle for 3s. 

32 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

I'll wait until the end of the year to make a graphic but currently

Offensive APL 16.2 (50th)

Defensive APL 18.5 (350th)

Offensively we're sped up relative to last year and that's probably due in part to not having Griesel bring it up slowly along with maybe a little bit more familiarity with Hoiberg's offense and a little more fast breaking.

Defensively it's more of the same where we try to eliminate fast breaks and tend to double into the post so teams tend to work until they need to settle for 3s. 

There may also be a difference when JLaw brings up the ball versus Brice or Reink.  We seem to play at a quicker pace with JLaw.  Perhaps that is simply my imagination. 

Here is a question I have which doesn't merit a new thread. Do Keita, Ulis, Lloyd, and Coleman practice with the team on the "taxi squad" to mimic opponents? I think they would be useful in that regard, since it does not appear they will be involved in any of our games otherwise this year. 

22 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

Here is a question I have which doesn't merit a new thread. Do Keita, Ulis, Lloyd, and Coleman practice with the team on the "taxi squad" to mimic opponents? I think they would be useful in that regard, since it does not appear they will be involved in any of our games otherwise this year. 

I’m sure they do. Lloyd did last year for sure. 

At the beginning of this season when Gary couldn’t play in games, it was reported that he and Ulis were giving the starters problems in practice/scrimmages.

41 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

I have heard Fred mention the great work by the scout team on multiple occasions.   I am unsure about the contributions from Blaise given his ongoing ankle issues; but other than the current rotational players, all likely contribute. 

5 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

I have heard Fred mention the great work by the scout team on multiple occasions.   I am unsure about the contributions from Blaise given his ongoing ankle issues; but other than the current rotational players, all likely contribute. 

Yeah, if Blaise is practicing you would think he would be playing in the games at some time.  

14 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Unless I'm completely missing something Blaise can just take a regular redshirt for this year if he does not play, given he has yet to redshirt.

If he checks into one of our remaining games, he can do neither.

Pretty sure Fred referenced this on one of his postgame or pregame shows with Kent.