2023-2024 KenPom Rankings Thread

49r

Outside of laying an egg against Creighton, which we normally do, we took care of business in the non-conference.  Sure I would have liked to seen more blowouts, but we didn't lose any of those "buy-in" games like a lot of teams did.  Also, I don't like how some of the metrics work and some of it doesn't make sense, but they are what they are at this point. 

Now it's conference time and we need to win at least 9-10 to have a chance at the tourney.  I think we have a good chance at doing that, but we need to get Mast back sooner rather than later.  Let the fun begin.....Go Big Red!

On 12/30/2023 at 8:58 PM, hskr4life said:

Another metrics site.  If you remember the last time we thought we had a chance to dance, Hasla’s metrics system favored us quite a bit.  This year, it’s looking like he also favors us a bit better than others to date.

https://haslametrics.com/ratings.php

For reference, Haslam has a predictor on his site of Nebraska defeating Indiana at PBA by the score of 79-70.

Back up to #52, we swap spots with Iowa once again.  Michigan State continues to climb and that win is starting to look really nice for us.  Also, Minnesota keeps climbing and that loss is beginning to not look so horrible.

Ken ups our season prediction back to 20-11 (10-10).  Torvik also goes up one to  21-10 (11-0).

San José State built a 15 point first half lead against Wyoming in Laramie, ultimately losing on a buzzer beater 75-73.  Heartbreaking.  In spite of that they move up one spot to #170.

Okay that's the short and sweet KenPom update for today, and with no further ado, here we go.

KenPom rankings as of 1-04-24

=======================

B1G (2-1):
2. Purdue
8. Illinois
16. Wisconsin
19. Michigan State - W
31. Ohio State
52. Nebraska
56. Iowa
59. Michigan
68. Northwestern
79. Maryland
83. Minnesota - L

86. Rutgers
92. Indiana - W
110. Penn State

Non-Conference (10-1):
343. Lindenwood - W

331. Florida A&M - W

---Cornhusker Classic---
284. Rider - W
250. Stony Brook - W

---Sanford Pentagon---
164. Oregon State - W

---Cornhusker Classic---

103. Duquesne - W

220. Cal State Fullerton - W

14. Creighton - L
75. @Kansas State - W
290. North Dakota - W

334. South Carolina State - W

Ranking of conferences by AdjEM of team that's expected to go .500 in conference play

Conference Rating Conference Rating
1 Big 12 Conference +17.46 18 Big South Conference -3.88
2 Southeastern Conference +15.06 19 Coastal Athletic Association -4.37
3 Big East Conference +14.85 20 Big Sky Conference -4.67
4 Big Ten Conference +14.36 21 Horizon League -5.20
5 Pac 12 Conference +11.65 22 Summit League -5.25
6 Atlantic Coast Conference +11.58 23 America East Conference -5.43
7 Mountain West Conference +9.34 24 Mid American Conference -5.45
8 Atlantic 10 Conference +4.41 25 ASUN Conference -6.38
9 American Athletic Conference +3.32 26 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference -6.93
10 Missouri Valley Conference +2.81 27 Ohio Valley Conference -10.65
11 West Coast Conference +1.95 28 Southland Conference -10.85
12 Ivy League -0.94 29 Patriot League -11.78
13 Western Athletic Conference -1.10 30 Independents -11.84
14 Conference USA -1.24 31 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference -13.47
15 Big West Conference -1.87 32 Southwestern Athletic Conference -13.61
16 Southern Conference -1.90 33 Northeast Conference -13.78
17 Sun Belt Conference -3.10  

16 minutes ago, HuskerActuary said:

I do not have access to KenPom, but heard from a friend that we are dead last in the country in 2-foul participation rate this year. Is that true? He said out of 51:47 possible time in the first half where starters had 2 fouls, they only played for 0:04. 

Last night was the only game I can recall were we had any semblance of foul trouble. Been pretty fortunate/good at staying out of foul trouble. Perhaps has something to do with it?

46 minutes ago, HuskerActuary said:

I do not have access to KenPom, but heard from a friend that we are dead last in the country in 2-foul participation rate this year. Is that true? He said out of 51:47 possible time in the first half where starters had 2 fouls, they only played for 0:04. 

At least this year we might be deep enough to get away with this nonsense.  

2 hours ago, HuskerActuary said:

It's true. #362.

Here's Hoiberg's numbers at Nebraska. He tends to be in the middle of the road but our depth probably explains things this season.

image.png

13 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Are you meaning our lack of depth? Because the talent level really drops off after the 9th or 10th guy.

I think he means guys that they can trust to close out halves if guys get in foul trouble. Drop off talent wise from Brice to CJ or keisei to sam is there, but those guys have the trust of the staff at this point. "close out the half for Brice so we don't have to play him and risk a third foul". 

Wednesday night was also the first night I can remember if serious first half foul issues. Brice, Gary, and I think one more picked up 2 in the first half. So they haven't been tested in that department. 

Don't think it's THAT big of a deal. But it is interesting to watch. I'm interested in the splits in those minutes where the bench comes in for the 2 foul guy. Does the team tread water, lose ground, or gain ground going into half

1 hour ago, thrasher31 said:

I think he means guys that they can trust to close out halves if guys get in foul trouble. Drop off talent wise from Brice to CJ or keisei to sam is there, but those guys have the trust of the staff at this point. "close out the half for Brice so we don't have to play him and risk a third foul". 

Wednesday night was also the first night I can remember if serious first half foul issues. Brice, Gary, and I think one more picked up 2 in the first half. So they haven't been tested in that department. 

Don't think it's THAT big of a deal. But it is interesting to watch. I'm interested in the splits in those minutes where the bench comes in for the 2 foul guy. Does the team tread water, lose ground, or gain ground going into half

I was being a smartass.

Moved up one spot from #52 to #51 since the last update, we stay ahead of Iowa but just barely.  Indiana gets a big win over Ohio State and I can't help but think that helps us both because it makes our win over the Hoosiers better but it also brings OSU back a little closer to shouting distance from us.  Also check out Kansas State.  They beat the brakes off UCF yesterday and jumped up 15 spots, that also certainly helps.

Ken holds steady at 20-11 (10-10).  Torvik finally matches Ken at  20-11 (10-10).

San José State once again collapses late and loses at home to Boise and they drop to #179.  Remember about a year ago when we were beginning to wonder if they might not pass us up in KenPom?

And that's it for today.  Here we go.

KenPom rankings as of 1-07-24

=======================

B1G (2-2):
2. Purdue
7. Illinois
12. Wisconsin - L
17. Michigan State - W
36. Ohio State
51. Nebraska
52. Iowa
63. Michigan
68. Northwestern
79. Minnesota - L

80. Maryland
89. Indiana - W
90. Rutgers
118. Penn State

Non-Conference (10-1):
345. Lindenwood - W

336. Florida A&M - W

---Cornhusker Classic---
279. Rider - W
235. Stony Brook - W

---Sanford Pentagon---
157. Oregon State - W

---Cornhusker Classic---

104. Duquesne - W

239. Cal State Fullerton - W

15. Creighton - L
60. @Kansas State - W
293. North Dakota - W

335. South Carolina State - W

well, we didn't go into free fall in spite of that butt kicking. so there's that. I guess ya gotta give Badgers some props. 

Maybe the hoops gods will grace us with the upset of the decade for our program. Would be a nice change.