2023-2024 KenPom Rankings Thread

49r

On 3/11/2024 at 9:13 AM, Nebrasketball1979 said:

FYI that as long as Mich St. remains in the top 30 of the NET then it will remain a Q1 home win.  They would really have to get blown out in their first game to potentially drop that much.  Wisconsin, Mich. St. and K. St all appear to be relatively safe in Q1.  Our first game in the Big 10 tournament will be Q2 if it's against Indiana or Penn St. and a Q3 if it's against Michigan (seems unlikely!).

We have a data point. Texas drops from 25 to 28 for a close loss vs Kansas State. More of a drop than I expected.

Michigan State is at 23 and plays Minnesota, who’s ranked lower than Kansas State. Unlikely a loss drops them out of top 30, but if it’s a blowout and/or teams just outside the top 30 win a few it’s not impossible.

16 minutes ago, big red22 said:

I am more curious about the BPI... we go down and Texas goes up after losing.  Help me understand this stupid ass bs

Screenshot_20240314_085406_Chrome.jpg

https://www.espn.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/125994/bpi-and-strength-of-record-what-are-they-and-how-are-they-derived

Quick glance, looks like pre-season numbers based on returning production, recruiting ranking and the coach’s past performance never fully drop out. If transfers in don’t count as returning production, well, three of our biggest contributors don’t count. And double whammy there if transfers don’t count in the recruiting ranking portion. Then, of course, Fred’s first three years here being a part of it as well and you can see why our ranking doesn’t quite match what the team has done THIS YEAR. Because BPI isn’t based solely on this year’s on the court performance.

Our BPI numbers were in the mid 60’s for a while in like February when we were 6-7 in conference.  So I’m just thankful that’s climbed like 30 spots in a month.  Win 1-2 here in the tourney and it’ll climb into the upper 30’s I have no doubt.

1 hour ago, big red22 said:

I am more curious about the BPI... we go down and Texas goes up after losing.  Help me understand this stupid ass bs

Screenshot_20240314_085406_Chrome.jpg

The “Trend” column for BPI and SOR is how you’ve changed in the last 7 days. Not since yesterday. Texas beat Oklahoma by 14 on Saturday, so not surprised they’re up a spot.

1 hour ago, Vinny said:

https://www.espn.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/125994/bpi-and-strength-of-record-what-are-they-and-how-are-they-derived

Quick glance, looks like pre-season numbers based on returning production, recruiting ranking and the coach’s past performance never fully drop out. If transfers in don’t count as returning production, well, three of our biggest contributors don’t count. And double whammy there if transfers don’t count in the recruiting ranking portion. Then, of course, Fred’s first three years here being a part of it as well and you can see why our ranking doesn’t quite match what the team has done THIS YEAR. Because BPI isn’t based solely on this year’s on the court performance.

That is an absolutely ridiculous metric and should not even count.  So basically it is based on what the programs have done historically.  Essentially being the name on the Jersey matters.  That is just sad

4 hours ago, Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty said:

We have a data point. Texas drops from 25 to 28 for a close loss vs Kansas State. More of a drop than I expected.

Michigan State is at 23 and plays Minnesota, who’s ranked lower than Kansas State. Unlikely a loss drops them out of top 30, but if it’s a blowout and/or teams just outside the top 30 win a few it’s not impossible.

If Mich State loses they probably stay a Q1 but could fall out of the tournament. Has a Q1 team (top 30 NET) ever not been in the field?

22 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

Amazing what winning 6 of 7, and all 6 wins by double-digits, will do to one's metrics. Let's keep it rollin' vs IU x3. GBR (*not IU*) Always.

Now it's time for redemption against the Illini for the travesty in Champaign. GBR Always.

Let's do this, BIG RED!!!

Edited by AuroranHusker

NET jumped from 37 to 31. Wow. SOR up to 22, one spot behind Wisconsin. Torvik also 22. 

Washington State’s NET: 45.  SOR: 37. Kenpom: 43.  Torvik: 40. Etc. Literally all of our metrics are significantly better than theirs. They have one bad loss and we have zero. Their non-con SOS is also poor, so that argument doesn’t work here. Lunardi just moved them from a 5 seed to a 6 seed this morning. Still think the only explanation for them being seeded ahead of us by bracketologists is laziness and they see WSU is ranked in the AP top 25, which means nothing. There are other examples also, like Clemson. I’d really be surprised if we’re in an 8/9 game next week.