The 2016 Transfer Thread

hhcmatt

At this point I am all about taking a grad transfer to fill a spot.

Saving that spot does us no good. 

Ideally you find a high character/high work ethic guy who can fit some need or add depth. Ideally it would be a 5 or a 1.. but those will be the hardest to find.

Give me guy who can push others around him in practice and maybe add 5-10 minutes a game.

i would love to grab a solid top 50 (or better) transfer but it's not always that simple.  they have to actually want to come here.

It's not even close to that simple though we've grabbed a top 100 for this year (Palmer)

ATM there is one former 4 star who is immediately eligible (LJ Rose of Houston). I don't think the playing time he wants is here for him as he's not coming here to be Watson's backup.

The rest of these types of players that are currently transferring either aren't interested in us or never lived up to the potential for whatever reason (think Moses Abraham)

That's what i'm trying to get at -- somewhere in there in the second line that you didn't quote i said 'if it fits'.

the thing is... with morrow and jacobsen i'd be hesitant to take a 4.  with palmer and roby i'd be hesitant to take a 2/3.  so you're basically left with a 1 who thinks he's better than watson (good luck with that) or a 5.

we're way more likely to try and get a high-end high schooler in the next recruiting cycle IMO.

We lose two 2s to graduation after this coming season.  I would not be hesitant to take another top 100 type shooting guard transfer to sit out if we can still find one at this juncture.  Best option would have been a grad transfer center like the kid from Louisville who never materialized.  Seems unlikely that would happen now.  I'd go get a 2 or save it for the 2017 class.

i specifically said after the first year because we were talking about a transfer -- who cant play the first year.  as was well documented last year, even talented freshman have a learning curve.  however, in the longer term length and defensive intensity work wonders.  going from small town to B1G for Roby is going to be a heck of a leap.  he's got the talent though.

we're really not used to having actual talent around here are we LOL :)  Seriously, as much as it sounds crazy, i even think a 1-2 combo guard transfer might be overkill with roby in the mix.  a true 2 is overkill unless he's an absolute beast.

2 years from now you're looking at :

watson/gill/palmer as guards with 

roby/mcveigh as 3's -- who could probably play as 2's in certain lineups especially if mcveigh's shot improves (fairly likely... that's why they call it development plus he's got good upper class role models on that front)

jacobsen/horne as 3/4 tweeners or stretch 4s

morrow as a true 4

jordy

point with this?  i could see us occasionally (repeat: occasionally) going BIG with a lineup of watson, roby, jacobsen, morrow, and jordy at some point in there.  that lineup would give teams like purdue this last year (you know, the team that completely owned us due to our lack of height) fits with length/athleticism.  also -- those 3 guards are good enough and by then will definitely be experienced enough that it's going to be difficult to crack any sort of playing time in a more traditional lineup unless you're an absolute beast.  3 guards can give you 80 minutes of PT if you add in a freshman for garbage time (which is why i keep thinking that's likely).

I'm not saying roby's a real two, but in certain situations i could see him pulling it off -- enough that another guard might be overkill if it's not a true point.  i don't see a PG transferring in because transfers want to play -- and watson is going to be one of the best pg's in the B1G/country as a junior, much less a senior.

note:  i keep thinking fuller is going to transfer for his senior year considering he will probably have graduated.  nothing other than a feeling given he probably won't play.  i also know that i forgot someone in here, but regardless...  hope you can see why i'm thinking a transfer won't help us unless it's a 5 or clearly better than what we have.

• 2 weeks later...

I think we gotta try as hard as we can to get one grad transfer on board here. Going into the season with 10 will not look good. With that said, what about this grad transfer...

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/66796/paris-bass

http://verbalcommits.com/players/paris-bass

According to ESPN he is a 6'8" G/W that averaged 18.4 pts and 8 rbs a game in 30 minutes of action. He's someone I'd like to go after

Edit: he had issues with grades at U of D so he would definitely be bringing some baggage, but is this a guy we take a chance on to help us bridge the gap to the 2017-18 season?

Just took a gander at the remaining (known) grad transfer options. Not much out there. Probably got the roster we're gonna roll with. I'm ok with that.

I just checked a list, and you're right. Not a lot there.

Which strikes me about the whole transfer debate: The point about players not showing loyalty and looking for a better deal is overdone. Most of these guys were run off, told by the coach that they weren't going to play so they could open up a scholarship. What are they supposed to do, stay after they're told they're not wanted?

The guys like AWIII give the transfers a bad name. Most of these guys really didn't have a choice because the coach holds all the cards. 

I think we gotta try as hard as we can to get one grad transfer on board here. Going into the season with 10 will not look good. With that said, what about this grad transfer...

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/66796/paris-bass

http://verbalcommits.com/players/paris-bass

According to ESPN he is a 6'8" G/W that averaged 18.4 pts and 8 rbs a game in 30 minutes of action. He's someone I'd like to go after

Edit: he had issues with grades at U of D so he would definitely be bringing some baggage, but is this a guy we take a chance on to help us bridge the gap to the 2017-18 season?

I can tell you he's a no-go.

He's NBA-esque but a disaster every where else and that's the reason he ended up in Detroit and the reason that no one is going near him.

The guys like AWIII give the transfers a bad name. Most of these guys really didn't have a choice because the coach holds all the cards. 

He's not though.  He's a helicopter dad transfer who is mostly talented enough to back it up plus he's actually a stand up guy.

Just took a gander at the remaining (known) grad transfer options. Not much out there. Probably got the roster we're gonna roll with. I'm ok with that.

I've been tracking all summer and it's down to 33 guys who are either depth at best or have serious character issues.

If we're going to look at transfers, we're going to have to look at guys that have to sit a year.

For this year looking at JUCO or re-picking through the class of 2016 is probably our best opportunity.