Thoughts On Last Night & A Question

First of all, "that's what she said" on my title (I just now noticed as I started typing).

I'll lead with my thoughts on the OSU game and finish with a question for all my fellow Husker Hoops junkies.

THOUGHTS ON OSU:

-Any sort of normal shooting night and we win that game. Any sort of average Jameson Battle game and we win that game.

-If Juwan makes 2 of his six three's, and Battle makes one less of his, we win.

-We missed way too many layups again - the one Juwan missed on the second half from the left that would have tied it was the biggest miss.

-Our defensive intensity was good early but seemed to kind of wane in the middle.

-The refs didn't help but didn't decide the game. We didn't attack much to earn that many fouls AND we did get away with a few bodies on them. We certainly were -3 or -4 on calls but not enough to swing the game if we just make shots.

-Robbie Hummel is atrocious. He clearly doesn't like Nebraska. He's the only B1G analyst I don't like. He's not fun to listen to in a game, overly negative and has a clear vendetta against NU.

-Keisei was awful last night and took a couple just awful shots.

-Everything was short. Legs tired again? Luckily we have a nice break after Rutgers.

-I am SCARED TO DEATH of Rutgers and have been for 5 weeks, ever since they got their (arguably) best player back. This isn't a bottom feeder team, even if their metrics say it. They aren't Missouri or Michigan without Dug. They're legitimate. If we dont' play well, we will lose.

-We beat them, we are guaranteed Dayton. One more after that we are guaranteed to avoid Dayton.

We lose to them, though, we will need two wins to make sure we make the tourney and maybe even 3 to avoid Dayton. While I say it's not a bottom feeder team - unfortunately metrics won't agree AND we're Nebraska, so we always need 1-2 extra wins.

Now my QUESTION.

Does anyone else play Wolverine Studios "College Basketball?" The 24 version comes out this week and is the most insanely amazing NCAA Hoops game ever. Just need to download a mod and you get real teams, all conferences, all coaches, all courts, etc etc. You recruit, schedule opponents, deal with making the tourney, moving up the ladder as a coach, etc. It's addicing as heck. I lose 100+ hours a year on it and always start at a mid major before working my way up to Nebraska.

But in that game, TEAM PRESTIGE is a big thing with recruits and the pollsters (again, it's VERY dead on to real life). And I've noticed that my prestige gets BUMPED UP MORE throughout the years whenever I win the Big 10 tournament versus winning simply one game in the NCAA Tournament.

So I ask you, in a hypothetical world...

Would you rather lose in the Big 10 tournament but WIN ONE GAME in the NCAA Tournament?

OR would you rather win the Big 10 tournament - be Big 10 Champs - and lose in the NCAA Tournament?

Either way, you're in the dance, but which of the two scenarios do YOU prefer and which do you think RECRUITS prefer?

Interested to hear these thoughts and hope someone else out there plays this game. I play it on my laptop at work a lot since 80% of game doesn't require you to play games so nobody can tell I'm not working when I'm recruiting or scouting hahhahahaha

PS I should also add that I think we played a "C-" game last night and still kept it within single figures with Jameson Battle turning into Lebron James. I think that's encouraging. We are clearly more confident, sharp and cohesive. We have turned a page even from a month ago. Good sign that we can play "C-" and still come within two made three's and one less made three from winning.

Your "PS" is why I am not terribly concerned. This NU team is locked-in particularly so at PBA. They'll stomp RU. Then they will give it all they have at Crisler to get that monkey off their back.

Personally, and I'll probably get railed for this, I'd rather win the 2024 Big Ten tournament and be conference champs. I take great satisfaction in winning the 1994 Big 8 tournament because NU handled Mizzou in the Big 8 tourney after getting royally screwed in Columbia at the end of the regular season to allow Mizzou to remain unbeaten in the Big 8. Maybe that's the wrong answer, but it's how I feel in the moment. Now, if NU is in Omaha in three weeks, then my attitude probably changes because I'll be there. lol

29 minutes ago, REDZONEDAN said:

100% win in the NCAA Tournament.  It’s on my Bucket List and I’m not getting any younger.

10000% this. The monkey on our back is the size of King Kong and needs to go away for this program to take a step forward.

2 minutes ago, TourneyBound said:

NCAA TOURNAMENT!

And yes Rutgers scares me too.  They type of basketball they play just seems to travel well.  I know it was Michigan but dang they looked good last night.  It will be a rock fight I know that, hopefully our crowd can be the difference.

They terrify me as well. We laid an egg on senior day last year with a couple of the fans’ favorite seniors in a long time. I think we had won 4 in a row prior to that game and probably had NIT hopes. Hopefully it’s different this year. Just need to find a way to win on Sunday. 

To answer your question in the real world since I don't play the game, Dave, I will choose door #1. When I peruse the obits each morning, I realize that my own chance to see us join the list of teams to win an NCAA game is rapidly diminishing. I've now seen the Chiefs, the Red Sox, the Husker football team, and the Jayhawks win multiple championships and my final sporting ticket that needs punched is the illusive NCAA win before the conductor asks for mine. And I'm not even asking to win the whole damn thing (although it would be a nice bonus).

Notice how quickly people stopped talking about us losing everything on the road once we got that first conference road win.

Now imagine someone doing that for decades with NCAA tournament wins. And the pressure that puts on every single team who has to try to end that.

I'd take that NCAA win every time. Not just for this team, but so every team that follows can play more relaxed in the tournament.

21 hours ago, jimmykc said:

To answer your question in the real world since I don't play the game, Dave, I will choose door #1. When I peruse the obits each morning, I realize that my own chance to see us join the list of teams to win an NCAA game is rapidly diminishing. I've now seen the Chiefs, the Red Sox, the Husker football team, and the Jayhawks win multiple championships and my final sporting ticket that needs punched is the illusive NCAA win before the conductor asks for mine. And I'm not even asking to win the whole damn thing (although it would be a nice bonus).

If you're looking for some similar type of inspiration, just look at Sunderland AFC.

Relegated from Premier League to Championship. Then further relegated to League One where they had been trying to claw themselves back into prominence.

Failing at their previous six playoff appearances. Finally able to win and move back up to Championship. A story all too familiar to us. Seven appearances and no wins. Well...here we are. Let us dance and advance!

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/20110413.sunderlands-six-previous-appearances-play-offs/