2018 Transfer Market

hhcmatt

2 hours ago, nustudent said:

That’s fine.   But if he’s not going to help this year, make sure he’s more than a role player with one year of eligibility (Lyle)

Winning now also helps us with next years class and transfers as well 

Agreed as I do not want Lyle or any gaurd for that matter. Ideally we find another Copeland in the palmer mold of sitting one and playing two but how many times can miles strike gold w transfers?

my worry is a mute point if somehow roby comes back for his senior year, although that likely means this year doesn’t go how we want it.

i have seen nothing of us actively going after another big guy w that last scholarship unless you count Chang as a big guy and who knows if that interest is even mutual 

On 6/1/2018 at 2:59 PM, B-town hoopsfan said:

Why put everything into one year if we are just gonna go down the drain the next year, what we have now should be able to get the job done weather it’s jordy improving or someone emerging at the 2 gaurd. Go get someone who’s a future contributor w that 13 scholarship. 

Because making a run to the elite 8 or something awesome would do wonders for our brand and possibly allow us to take things to a level which match our elite facilities and fan base.  A player that can help us do that is much more important than making the expected fall the following year a little less bad.  

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 9:07 AM, jayschool said:

As a Redshirt Junior, 2017-18 season: Ohio Valley Conference Defensive Player of the Year – third time in school history TSU has won the award… Second Team All-OVC selection… Served as team captain for the Tigers… Played in all 30 games and tied for the team lead with 29 starts… Second on the team with 12.7 points per game to go with a team-best 7.9 rebounds per game… Amongst OVC players ranked 17th in scoring (12.7), sixth in rebounding (7.9), 10th in field goal percentage (51.9), 13th in free throw percentage (74.5), second in blocked shots (1.5), fifth in offensive rebounds (2.4), fifth in defensive rebounds (5.5) and 24th in minutes played (29.1)… Recorded 46 blocks, the most for a TSU player since Michael Green finished with 52 blocks in 2010-11… Two-time adidas OVC Player of the Week (12/4/17 and 1/29/18)… BoxToRow National Player of the Week (1/29/18)… Led TSU with seven double-doubles on the year… Had 19 double-digit points and eight double-digit rebound games… Had five games with 20 or more points… Led TSU in scoring 11 times and in rebounding 23 times… Secured a double-double with 16 points and 18 rebounds in 22 minutes versus Fisk (11/28/17)… Played all 40 minutes, posting 26 points on 10-of-14 shooting to go with 15 rebounds and three blocks against Lipscomb (12/2/17)… Registered 14 points and 10 rebounds while shooting 12-of-16 from the free throw line in a win at Alabama State (12/12/17)… In TSU’s near upset at Texas, secured a double-double with 15 points and 11 rebounds (12/18/17)… Played a season-high 44 minutes, finishing with 10 points and nine rebounds at UT Martin (12/28/17)… Went for 20 points versus Tennessee Tech (1/6/18)… Tallied 24 points and six rebounds on the road at SIUE (1/13/18)… Helped TSU pick up a home win over SIUE with 25 points and nine rebounds (1/25/18)… Recorded another double-double with 27 points and 10 rebounds against Eastern Illinois (1/27/18)… Put up 18 points and 11 rebounds in a home win over Belmont (2/8/18)… Scored 19 points at Tennessee Tech (2/22/18)… Secured seventh double-double of the season with 15 points and 12 rebounds against Eastern Illinois in the first round of the Ohio Valley Conference Tournament (2/28/18).

committed to Texas A&M yesterday...?

37 minutes ago, ConkintheCorner said:

committed to Texas A&M yesterday...?

Hmmm. I really think we're not deep in the front court this year. We have 80 minutes per game at the 4/5 positions and probably just three people to split those; that's barring injury, of course.

Edited by jayschool

22 minutes ago, MichHusker said:

Has anyone brought up Malik Hines from UMass at all? 6’9” 240lb grad transfer center...put up 9 and 6 last year. Seems like he would be a solid get 

Unfortunatley, Hines is going down to McNeese St. I agreee he would’ve been a good get. I feel like for most grad transfers of decent ability are going to schools with minutes. With both Roby Jordy and Cope coming back a lot of players look at us and don’t see enough minutes available for them even though we could use the depth

Just now, hhcdimes said:

If he walks on would he be immediately eligible?

No he would not. To use a football example (im assuming they are the same rules), Noah Vedral had to come as a walkon to Nebraska from UCF. But even though he wasnt on scholarship he still wasnt going to be eligible to play the upcoming season. He later won an appeal to be on scholarship during his RS transfer year.

12 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

If he walks on would he be immediately eligible?

Unless he graduates by August, I think he would still have to sit out a transfer year.  And since he is in Nebraska working a camp right now, I wouldn't think he is taking a lot of school getting ready to graduate.  But I have no info on that; just speculating.

• 2 weeks later...

Adonis De La Rosa, 7-0 center, transfer from Kent State.

The Kent State men's basketball team's interior depth suffered a sizable blow Tuesday, as 7-foot center Adonis De La Rosa received his release from the program, multiple sources close to the program confirmed to KentWired.

De La Rosa, a native of the Bronx, started in 32 of Kent State's 34 games in the 2017-18 season and averaged 11.8 points per game, a mark good for third on the team. De La Rosa had a tumultuous run before coming to Kent State, spending a year at St. John's before attending Williston State College in North Dakota. 

Multiple sources also confirmed to KentWired that the team was notified of De La Rosa's release on Sunday, and it has begun to plan for life without the big man. 

De La Rosa's size made him one of the most formidable centers in the Mid-American Conference. De La Rosa recorded a total of 49 blocks in his two seasons with the Flashes, and he made life difficult in the paint for opposing centers on a regular basis.

Edited by jayschool

2 minutes ago, nustudent said:

Was hoping we'd go after him.  Experienced player who can fill some of the Duby/Borchardt minutes from last year

Agreed. Still some possibilities out there. I think Stockman could be an option. Former Louisville player who would cost us a scholarship for only next year. De La Rosa is likely a better player, but I'm not sure if he's a grad transfer or a regular transfer. Seems to have played two years at Kent, preceded by a redshirt year at St. John's and a year at a JC in North Dakota. Appears to be a grad transfer, though.

5 hours ago, jayschool said:

At this point I expect Miles to hold that scholarship and roll with what we’ve got.

I forget if Harell Jr. is going to be a grad transfer and eligible this year, but either way DU is getting talent and size for once. That team is going to start contest for the summit league. Unfortunately Denver is such a football town (plus very little d1 basketball talent out of high school), it’ll take a lot for anyone to notice when/if DU is competitive.