Should college players get paid and if so how much?

4 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

No, not for disagreeing with me.   For demonstrating a complete inability to understand what free market means.  We already had this discussion a couple weeks ago.  And for the record, I was an econ and finance double major.

Definition of free market for English Language Learners

• : an economic market or system in which prices are based on competition among private businesses and not controlled by a government

1 hour ago, jdw said:

It is nothing personal but anyone who thinks they should be able to legislate someone's earning power I vehemently disagree with.

Down-arrowing someone for a different opinion suggests it may in fact be personal 

2 minutes ago, jdw said:

I will not be sucked into this topic so you can reply anyway you want and feel like your opinion is fact.

Whether players should be paid is a matter of opinion.  You're entitled to disagree on that.  Whether it is a violation of free market principles is not a matter of opinion though, it factually is not.

Your argument that players should be paid whatever a NCAA-competing school wants to pay because "free market, yay!" is the logical equivalent of saying you're a Husker fan because you like that green is the school's color.  

1 minute ago, aphilso1 said:

Whether players should be paid is a matter of opinion.  You're entitled to disagree on that.  Whether it is a violation of free market principles is not a matter of opinion though, it factually is not.

Your argument that players should be paid whatever a NCAA-competing school wants to pay because "free market, yay!" is the logical equivalent of saying you're a Husker fan because you like that green is the school's color.  

Serious question, not being an ass, does it change matters because universities are government funded.

9 minutes ago, jdw said:

Definition of free market for English Language Learners

• : an economic market or system in which prices are based on competition among private businesses and not controlled by a government

Here's what I think you're conceptually missing.  Nebraska isn't the business, the NCAA is.  Sports associations have legally been determined (in multiple courts, in multiple states) to  be joint ventures.  What this means is that Nebraska is a business partner with Ohio State and Iowa U, not a business competitor.  That's not my opinion.  That's the opinion of a bunch of judges who are way smarter than me, and is a fact based on case law.

3 minutes ago, jdw said:

And another question how is competition not being restricted.  Again not trying to start a fight genuinely interested.

I think my last response should answer this.  Let me know if not.  Competition is not restricted since anyone in the joint venture can leave at any time and compete against the NCAA.  Nebraska could convince the whole B1G to leave the NCAA and start a competing collegiate sports organization, and they would be well within their rights to pay players in that new association.  But if you want NCAA benefits, then you play by NCAA rules.

11 minutes ago, jdw said:

Serious question, not being an ass, does it change matters because universities are government funded.

That's a whole different layer of complexity.  As part of my job I review company overhead rates, accounting practices, etc and I actually have one public University that I have to review.  They have a super weird set of rules, and I don't know how to answer that in a brief way.  So for simplicity, let's just say that being a public University does not impact whether this is a free market issue.  

5 minutes ago, jdw said:

Makes sense never thought of it that way. I probably should have since that is how I see professional sports.  I always have seen them as the governing body not the entity it's self.

Cool.  Now we can all go back to arguing over whether Nebraska will sneak into the play-in game in Dayton.

3 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

This pretty much sums it up for me.

I'm all for differing view points.  A football player replied to this and did have some good points about getting something because they want to help out back home.  That's why I wouldn't mind seeing them get a little stipend like a research student or part time employee.  A couple thousand a semester just like if they had a part time job.  Because their sport is a part time job.  However, college is not the place to just open up to whoever has the biggest donor base.  If they get something, it should be smaller, and every single athlete needs to get the same thing.  

7 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

I'm all for differing view points.  A football player replied to this and did have some good points about getting something because they want to help out back home.  That's why I wouldn't mind seeing them get a little stipend like a research student or part time employee.  A couple thousand a semester just like if they had a part time job.  Because their sport is a part time job.  However, college is not the place to just open up to whoever has the biggest donor base.  If they get something, it should be smaller, and every single athlete needs to get the same thing.  

I read that as well, I do think that it hurts the football and some basketball players more that it would VB WBB etc.

1 hour ago, TomEadesSucks said:

Doing so would raise huge Title IX issues.

See, I'm not so sure about this. I think it could create an interesting scenario if the NCAA comes out and says pay athletes whatever you want, just make sure the amount you spend on men is the same as you spend on women.

A snarky response to this would be to say I'd be happy to see the NCAA start caring about Title IX issues for once @Baylor.

12 hours ago, nustudent said:

No.

Increase the stipend or amend the scholarship to account for cost of living but they shouldn't get paid.  

I'm with the student of nu. But I also think that they should get rid of one and done, and any student-athlete should be able to test the waters with the draft and decide if they want to go back or not. 

I could also be convinced that the players should be allowed to profit off their "likeness" - but I would need to hear a great plan. 

10 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

This pretty much sums it up for me.

I side with her views as well. One thing I'll say, though, is that it really annoys me when people say, "The athletes are the ones bringing in the money." That's totally discounting all the work that goes into organizing a league, organizing a team, coaching a team, running marketing promotions, televising the event, etc. I get that the basis of all of these functions is the game itself, which is being played by the players. But obviously, without everyone else doing their job, the players wouldn't have anyone to watch the games and give them money (or in the NCAA's case: give them scholarships, food, clothing, publicity, etc).

So clearly everyone deserves a piece of the pie, whether you're talking professional or college sports. Then the debate is about how big a slice each group gets, which in my opinion should be determined by the groups themselves, not the government. And when an athlete decides to put pen to paper and sign with an NCAA-affiliated organization, they're agreeing to a contract that pays them in scholarships, food, clothing, publicity, etc. Nobody forced them to do that. In a free market, anyone can create any league they want, and if the NCAA wants to create a league where the payment doesn't involve a paycheck, that's their right. It's the job of the free market to create a "better" option if the athletes feel like they aren't getting an appropriate portion of the pie.

And even if the NCAA were forced by the government to pay their athletes... the NCAA made $105m in 2017. If we divided that up between ONLY the FBS scholarship football players, that would come out to about $10k per person (130 teams x 85 players = 11,050 players). First of all, the benefits they receive are far greater than that. Second of all, that ignores all the FCS, D-II, and D-III players, and we haven't even addressed any other sport yet. And what about the walk-ons? It simply wouldn't work.

17 hours ago, cipsucks said:

They are getting paid. Tuition, meals, apparel, paid trips all over the country, including Hawaii, free health care, unlimited access to training facilities, school tutors and all the other crap I can't come up with at this moment.

Brevity is the soul of wit....

They get ALL of what Cip just mentioned, plus realize only 1 in 5 people in this Country have a Bachelors Degree. Their hardly getting just a pat on the head or being asked to dig a ditch...

7 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

They get ALL of what Cip just mentioned, plus realize only 1 in 5 people in this Country have a Bachelors Degree. Their hardly getting just a pat on the head or being asked to dig a ditch...

I don't know about that, I've got a master's degree and still seem to have to dig plenty of ditches...