Parking

Merlin

I parked in lot 19 ($5) and got in and out with no problems at all.  I guess the lot right next to the softball field was very empty.  A tad bit more of a walk, but that doesn't bother me at all.  For those that don't want to walk as far you may not want that spot.  But lots 19, 20 and 21 were very easy to get in and out of last night.  Friday will be interesting.  I don't think it will be terrible as I think people will go early and some will stay late going to the bars/restaurants since its a Friday night game.  Those Wednesday night type games where everybody goes home after the game for the most part will be interesting to see.

Just to add to the confusion...  ;) But I hope bball23's first hand info is accurate and not the info that says $10 for Lot 19/20/21. I parked downtown for the UNK game, so I can't help with any first-hand info.

Straight from the University

Parking (parking map - http://go.unl.edu/mbbpark): Fans are strongly encouraged to arrive early to find parking downtown and be parked by 7:30 p.m. Many of the parking lots, including the Pinnacle Bank Arena VIP Premium Garage, Red Garage 1 and Lots 7 and 18 and the Stadium Drive Parking Garage Lot 1 are donor lots and a pass is required. Additional downtown parking is available, and for complete information and downtown maps around Pinnacle Bank Arena, visit http://parkandgo.org or call (402) 441-7275.

For fans that want to avoid parking downtown, there are two lots that enter and exit on Sun Valley Road. The Pinnacle Bank Arena Festival Parking area is available with a pedestrian bridge that exits at the North Plaza of Pinnacle Bank Arena. The Haymarket Park Lots (Lots 19-21) are connected by another pedestrian bridge to the Haymarket. Both the Festival Parking and Haymarket Park lots cost $10.

Student Shuttle Service: Shuttles service from campus to Pinnacle Bank Arena begins at 6 p.m. and runs every 20 minutes prior to each home game with five stops on campus dropping off at the arena. For more on the UNL Student Shuttle to Pinnacle Bank Arena and other student ticket information, visit: http://go.unl.edu/studentmbb.

It definitely would make sense to charge the same amount for all lots at the baseball complex because of only having one road into the complex, otherwise collecting different fees for different lots would be very confusing and time-consuing. Well that sucks - $10 is pretty high for a walk over the bridge into the cold north wind.

Parking at the RED1 for tomorrow is sold out. So I'll have to go to plan B, But I did get a spot for Mondays game at the RED1 garage. Thanks for all of the input.

Yes.  To clarify they will sell spots in the Red 1 garage for women's games but for men's games it is all allocated to season permit parking.   Same with lots 7 and 18 northeast of the arena and the garages west of the football stadium and west of the Embassy Suites I believe.

Straight from the University

Parking (parking map - http://go.unl.edu/mbbpark): Fans are strongly encouraged to arrive early to find parking downtown and be parked by 7:30 p.m. Many of the parking lots, including the Pinnacle Bank Arena VIP Premium Garage, Red Garage 1 and Lots 7 and 18 and the Stadium Drive Parking Garage Lot 1 are donor lots and a pass is required. Additional downtown parking is available, and for complete information and downtown maps around Pinnacle Bank Arena, visit http://parkandgo.org or call (402) 441-7275.

For fans that want to avoid parking downtown, there are two lots that enter and exit on Sun Valley Road. The Pinnacle Bank Arena Festival Parking area is available with a pedestrian bridge that exits at the North Plaza of Pinnacle Bank Arena. The Haymarket Park Lots (Lots 19-21) are connected by another pedestrian bridge to the Haymarket. Both the Festival Parking and Haymarket Park lots cost $10.

Student Shuttle Service: Shuttles service from campus to Pinnacle Bank Arena begins at 6 p.m. and runs every 20 minutes prior to each home game with five stops on campus dropping off at the arena. For more on the UNL Student Shuttle to Pinnacle Bank Arena and other student ticket information, visit: http://go.unl.edu/studentmbb.

Well, that is interesting, because I can confirm bb23's observation that Festival was $10 and the other lots were $5.  I paid $5 for lot 19 on Monday.  I'm hoping (against reality, I suppose) that they have reconsidered the price after posting what dimes found above.

Here is what I have

You might be able to park close if you can get down here early enough and have enough karma built up

I think you can find some free parking NE or S of the stadium though you'll have to walk....base that on relatively where you live and/or if you want to stop in the Haymarket afterwards.

If you don't know what to do/don't want to hunt for a spot, hit the $10 lots which should be fast in/out and decently close.

5chyM.png

I predict that some people who thought they were going to make a lot of money on parking will have priced themselves out of the market.  The University offers a couple of really nice introductory classes on economics that will help explain how you reach a point where people start looking for alternatives. 

I was frankly pissed when the University took over the fairgrounds and started charging for surface parking half a mile away from Devaney.  Parking that had been free for 30 years.  Parking that was CLOSER than some of the $10 lots they have now.  If they wanna charge 10 dolla for the garage across the street, that is reasonable.  10 dolla for a half mile walk ... AIN'T.

I predict that some people who thought they were going to make a lot of money on parking will have priced themselves out of the market.  The University offers a couple of really nice introductory classes on economics that will help explain how you reach a point where people start looking for alternatives. 

I was frankly pissed when the University took over the fairgrounds and started charging for surface parking half a mile away from Devaney.  Parking that had been free for 30 years.  Parking that was CLOSER than some of the $10 lots they have now.  If they wanna charge 10 dolla for the garage across the street, that is reasonable.  10 dolla for a half mile walk ... AIN'T.

At the risk of making you more irate Norm - parking in the garage across the street and the other nearby UNL permit lots is not $10 a game.   Parking fee for those lots was the same as it was for permit lots around Devaney - $85 for the season or basically $5 a game.  Of course you have to be making a donation also to qualify to buy a spot in those lots - but with the new seating policy anyone who has season tickets with a donation requirement (basically the entire lower bowl) was eligible to get a parking permit that way.   I know they disposed of all or pretty much all of the spots in those 5 permit lots that way - not sure if they turned people down who wanted those permits - or if so how many.  It would be interesting to see those figures but my impression is that they were able to accomodate all or at least nearly all of that group.  Allocation was based on overall donor priority points so larger/longer donors got the better locations but everyone is paying the same money and it is exactly what people have been paying for donor permit lot parking the last few years.

People should also be aware that it is the City (SMG) that is selling the festival space parking at $10 a spot - not UNL.  I am not sure who is technically getting the revenue for the Haymarket lots (19, 20 and 21).  Haymarket Park was a joint UNL/City project so I don't know which one gets that parking revenue - or which one gets to decide what to charge.   Apparently they charged different rates the first game - so that is something that might get adjusted.   FWIW my friend who paid $160 for a reserved spot in the festival lot for the season (basically $10 a game) was very happy with his decision when he got to his stall Monday.  Said he is right at the bottom of the bridge so it is a short walk and at least Monday it was an easy in and out.  We will see if it goes as smoothly tonight.

Also - for people's information the city is selling spots in their lots for $5 a game.  That includes the Haymarket Garage that is just up the street from the arena (across the street north of Barry's).  I think that one might be sold out for men's games already - but other locations may be available and if anyone wants to check they can reserve spots online at http://parkandgo.org/  - go to the link for "event parking". 

Bottom line is there is alot of people paying $5 a game for nearby parking so it is not exactly correct to paint a picture that UNL is charging $10 a game to everyone.  That said - your point is well taken regarding the econoics of paying $10 for those north lots versus finding a spot on a street for free and walking a little farther.   For some people it obvoiusly might depend on the weather.  On those nights with the minus 10 windchill that $10 festival space might look a little more "worthwhile" compared to the walk from the north bottoms. :)

There are other non-city privately owned lots that wil be available on a per game basis as well.   The parking area just north of the journal star building which is a big football tailgate location is a private lot that has been sold on a per event basis for concerts.  I think there are a few other nooks and cranny's in the Haymarket area as well that might be for "sale".  No idea what those places are planning to charge.   They may be taking your economics lesson on a game by game basis.

I haven't had time to peruse any of the threads yet and this question may have already been answered. I would like to know the time that people actually arrived home last night. Many of our games begin at 8pm and are on weeknights. It would seem to me that anyone wanting to bring grade school children or grandchildren to these events should probably forget it as should anyone with difficulty walking on ice. With that said, the facility and ambiance look great for T.V. and everyone concerned with the arena project deserve kudos for being able to appeal to exactly the demographic they were aiming for- i.e. the young and the affluent. This should be a great boon for our city and state, and probably those of us who made our way to BDSC for decades are better off watching on the tube anyway. By the way, I arrived at the forum late this morning because I spent a long time searching for the Dungeon.