The Official Media Thread

Has anyone see the Omaha World-Herald's Sports section this morning?

It has a photo of the Creighton women's game against UCONN covering the entire top half of the front page and bleeding over the fold, followed by the beginnings of two separate articles on that game--two of them--that also cover a third of the second page.

Then, the entire back page of the Sports section is a photo from that same game with a small write-up.

The Husker men's game coverage, by contrast, gets a small right corner at the bottom of the front page and a third of the second page, with a small photo of CJ Wilcher on the second page.

You'd think that the women won big (they were blown out 94-50--a 44 points loss) and that the men lost (they actually defeated Indiana by 16--86-70).

Presumably, the late start left the World-Herald editorial staff guessing on what would happen, and they guessed wrong . . . big time!!

2 hours ago, Swan88 said:

Has anyone see the Omaha World-Herald's Sports section this morning?

It has a photo of the Creighton women's game against UCONN covering the entire top half of the front page and bleeding over the fold, followed by the beginnings of two separate articles on that game--two of them--that also cover a third of the second page.

Then, the entire back page of the Sports section is a photo from that same game with a small write-up.

The Husker men's game coverage, by contrast, gets a small right corner at the bottom of the front page and a third of the second page, with a small photo of CJ Wilcher on the second page.

You'd think that the women won big (they were blown out 94-50--a 44 points loss) and that the men lost (they actually defeated Indiana by 16--86-70).

Presumably, the late start left the World-Herald editorial staff guessing on what would happen, and they guessed wrong . . . big time!!

I was upset as well.  It seems at times the OHW tries their best to keep Husker hoops down.  The other 2 front page articles and pictures were of girls wrestling and a girls basketball coach now the all time leader in wins.  I will give them the benefit of the doubt that they tried for a girls athletic theme and thought the Jays might actually be able to play with UConn and we did have a late game slot but if it was the Creighton men or Husker football game, the article would have been much bigger than the one written for us.

14 minutes ago, throwback said:

• Good news - I don't have to search and search and search to find TruTV
  • Bad news - NCAA Tournament on ESPN+, come on down (probably)

**Actually this is probably bad news for the women's tournament - that tourney's early rounds are probably the ones moving to ESPN+

FYI that this deal only includes the Women's NCAA tournament...it does not cover the Men's as CBS and Turner still own those rights through 2032.

36 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

I was upset as well.  It seems at times the OHW tries their best to keep Husker hoops down.  The other 2 front page articles and pictures were of girls wrestling and a girls basketball coach now the all time leader in wins.  I will give them the benefit of the doubt that they tried for a girls athletic theme and thought the Jays might actually be able to play with UConn and we did have a late game slot but if it was the Creighton men or Husker football game, the article would have been much bigger than the one written for us.

There is an abundance of collaboration between the OMW and the LJS.  Many husker articles you see in the LJS are written by "OWH" writers/columnists.  

I am unsure how the editing and article layouts work.  But I am guessing the OWH will lean towards Creighton and perhaps Omaha with everything other then husker football.

4 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

There is an abundance of collaboration between the OMW and the LJS.  Many husker articles you see in the LJS are written by "OWH" writers/columnists.  

I am unsure how the editing and article layouts work.  But I am guessing the OWH will lean towards Creighton and perhaps Omaha with everything other then husker football.

A poor excuse.  NU is the State school, and Husker fans in Omaha outnumber all other fans (C.U., Iowa, Iowa St., Kansas St., etc.) combined.  Such a personal bias from the editorial staff is one of the reasons sports fans stop subscribing to that paper.

2 hours ago, Swan88 said:

A poor excuse.  NU is the State school, and Husker fans in Omaha outnumber all other fans (C.U., Iowa, Iowa St., Kansas St., etc.) combined.  Such a personal bias from the editorial staff is one of the reasons sports fans stop subscribing to that paper.

Lol...don't shoot the messenger.  I don't disagree, I'm simply explaining the dynamics. 

It's just way to early to be handing out accolades (or even props) this early to a coach and team that have only tallied these wins against the 350th best non-con and 283rd best overall KenPom strength of schedule, I mean, 12-2 should honestly be about the expectation here.  Even for Nebraska.

As Nick Saban would put it this kind of stuff is "Rat Poison" and we need to be real careful not to pat ourselves on the back too early and declare this season a total success.

Not saying it can't happen and we can't achieve all the goals we set out to reach...but coach of the year talk is just too premature IMO.  Talk to me in about 10 days from now about this stuff.

59 minutes ago, 49r said:

Andy Katz is high on something for sure...

The only thing I can think is that he’s projecting where we’ll finish.  Which, while still crazy, is better than saying we’d be an 8 seed as of today which most brackets go by.

2 hours ago, hskr4life said:

The only thing I can think is that he’s projecting where we’ll finish.  Which, while still crazy, is better than saying we’d be an 8 seed as of today which most brackets go by.

Yeah it's gotta be because there's no way our "body of work" so far could lead anyone to say "8 seed".  NIT 8 seed, maybe...

But I sure am rooting for Katz to be proven right in this case though.