2024 NCAA Tourney

Big East: Yikes… where did all their bids go?

Mountain West: Kudos to committee for not allowing them to beat up on each other and push each other’s seeds up.  Only a few of them actually challenged themselves OOC.

FAU, Iowa St kind of show that conference tourney games sometimes don’t mean as much as we think.

1 away from a 7 seed but you have to wonder if we’d have gotten it should we have beaten Illinois.  I’m not so sure now seeing what happened with both Iowa St and FAU.

Oklahoma goes from Top 10 team to 1st out and we were never ranked the entire year yet end up wearing home whites game 1.  Gotta love CBB man.  Also shows that AP Polls mean diddly squat.

Gonzaga and St Mary’s both a 5??  Umm?

Next year we need to schedule a bit tougher cupcakes and find ourselves a few neutral sites or get into a MTE.

Edited by hskr4life

2 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Next year we need to schedule a bit tougher cupcakes and find ourselves a few neutral sites or get into a MTE.

Totally depends on who comes back.  If most everyone comes back that can, I would have a few more challenges to the schedule.  If we are resetting again, I would have basically the same scheduling philosophy as this year.

15 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Big East: Yikes… where did all their bids go?

Mountain West: Kudos to committee for not allowing them to beat up on each other and push each other’s seeds up.  Only a few of them actually challenged themselves OOC.

FAU, Iowa St kind of show that conference tourney games sometimes don’t mean as much as we think.

1 away from a 7 seed but you have to wonder if we’d have gotten it should we have beaten Illinois.  I’m not so sure now seeing what happened with both Iowa St and FAU.

Oklahoma goes from Top 10 team to 1st out and we were never ranked the entire year yet end up

Gonzaga and St Mary’s both a 5??  Umm?

Been saying that all season, the tourney is the standard, any ranking is just a lil' bit of candy. No doubt I'd love a lil' candy, but this team wanted the meaty Ags in round one to prove NU's mettle more than a lil' window-dressing. GBR!!!

So, what were the two selection committees thinking on the two Husker v. A&M matchups?

Were they focused on a story-line?

Were they punking Trev in some way?

Is there an insider’s or practical joke on this among athletic directors?

38 minutes ago, brfrad said:

Totally depends on who comes back.  If most everyone comes back that can, I would have a few more challenges to the schedule.  If we are resetting again, I would have basically the same scheduling philosophy as this year.

Good news, we are dancing this year.  It means we don't have to worry about next year quite yet.

40 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Iowa St needed more wins with their non-con

Looking at the NIT schedule makes me glad that we weren't forced to go that route. Lots of unhappy teams playing with chip-on-shoulder attitudes (especially those huffy Big East elite types). I note that Indiana turned it's invitation down-yet another team we broke! I wonder why Pitino turned down a chance to play on his "home court" for the championship? Scared to lay a NYC egg?

10 hours ago, Swan88 said:

So, what were the two selection committees thinking on the two Husker v. A&M matchups?

Were they focused on a story-line?

Were they punking Trev in some way?

Is there an insider’s or practical joke on this among athletic directors?

I'm going to step into it here. I don't know how the women's committee works, but imo the men's matchup was just a fluke. I've been tracking bracketology for weeks, and this matchup has been out there waiting to happen. I checked right after the Trev news and thought, "oh, boy." 

The committee had a hard enough time figuring out who was in. Then it had to avoid matches through a couple rounds among Mountain West teams (4), Big Ten (3), SEC (2) and Pac 12 (2) in the 7-10 slots. Bracket Matrix had us paired with 9 seed Michigan State. Go up a line, and we're paired with Northwestern. Those don't work, so go down a line and ... TEXAS A&M.

Please try completing a seed list without regard to conferences and then get them to fit into a bracket while avoiding conference matchups for 2 rounds. If you think that sounds like too much work, then try doing it by committee. The committee members were up until 2 a.m. Sunday completing the field, and it's hard to believe they spent any time discussing how to arrange this matchup because it fit some kind of narrative.

Finally, what would be the motivation for the matchup?

Committee members hate Trev? Seems like he gets along well with his people, aside from the entire state of Nebraska now.

TV? I hate to break it to you, but 95%+ of the viewers don't know about Trev or care. His departure is a big story here and that's about it.

The women's process is not as transparent, and there aren't many bracketologists. But I'd guess their committee faces the same difficulties in the process and would not spent a lot of time on "interesting matchups."

1 minute ago, jimmykc said:

Looking at the NIT schedule makes me glad that we weren't forced to go that route. Lots of unhappy teams playing with chip-on-shoulder attitudes (especially those huffy Big East elite types). I note that Indiana turned its invitation down-yet another team we broke! I wonder why Pitino turned down a chance to play on his "home court" for the championship? Scared to lay a NYC egg?

I am almost positive I saw that the NIT Final 4 is at Hinkle Field House?

Looking at the NIT schedule makes me glad that we weren't forced to go that route. Lots of unhappy teams playing with chip-on-shoulder attitudes (especially those huffy Big East elite types). I note that Indiana turned it's invitation down-yet another team we broke! I wonder why Pitino turned down a chance to play on his "home court" for the championship? Scared to lay a NYC egg?
The NIT championship is now played at Hinkle in Indianapolis.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

I'm going to step into it here. I don't know how the women's committee works, but imo the men's matchup was just a fluke. I've been tracking bracketology for weeks, and this matchup has been out there waiting to happen. I checked right after the Trev news and thought, "oh, boy." 

The committee had a hard enough time figuring out who was in. Then it had to avoid matches through a couple rounds among Mountain West teams (4), Big Ten (3), SEC (2) and Pac 12 (2) in the 7-10 slots. Bracket Matrix had us paired with 9 seed Michigan State. Go up a line, and we're paired with Northwestern. Those don't work, so go down a line and ... TEXAS A&M.

Please try completing a seed list without regard to conferences and then get them to fit into a bracket while avoiding conference matchups for 2 rounds. If you think that sounds like too much work, then try doing it by committee. The committee members were up until 2 a.m. Sunday completing the field, and it's hard to believe they spent any time discussing how to arrange this matchup because it fit some kind of narrative.

Committee members hate Trev? Seems like he gets along well with his people, aside from the entire state of Nebraska now.

TV? I hate to break it to you, but 95%+ of the viewers don't know about Trev or care. His departure is a big story here and that's about it.

The women's process is not as transparent, and there aren't many bracketologists. But I'd guess their committee faces the same difficulties in the process and would not spent a lot of time on "interesting matchups."

Quit messing up with all of our conspiracy theories! I suppose now you are going to claim we actually walked on the moon!

12 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

I think this is mostly true. But this isn't a complete fluke. This is more of a fluke in the sense that the two teams were close enough that it made it an easy decision. Probably the easiest in the teams in this range. Intrusive thoughts won 😂

And 95% of the people do not care or know, but if they tune into this game the commentators will be mentioning this. It's a fun aspect to the game that I bet the commentators lean into. 

13 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

I think this is mostly true. But this isn't a complete fluke. This is more of a fluke in the sense that the two teams were close enough that it made it an easy decision. Probably the easiest in the teams in this range. Intrusive thoughts won 😂

And 95% of the people do not care or know, but if they tune into this game the commentators will be mentioning this. It's a fun aspect to the game that I bet the commentators lean into. 

I don't doubt TV people like having another "story line," but I don't think the selection committee used it to arrange the matchup. Imo, it just happened.

img_2456-gif.30553