uneblinst's postgame chatter: vol 16; ed 26 - Penn St

4 minutes ago, cipsucks said:

I actually think is was a game of beauty.  They came out flat, Penn State could have come out hot and been up by 10-15 points early. Our defense didn't let that happen.  We battled, and somehow were up by 6 at half.  Second half, after adjustments, came out and kicked ass.  Kind of reminds me of Tom Osborne in the mid 90's. 

To each there own. I agree about the defense. But I view defensive games generally as ugly. I don't believe we played bad today. But I get what you are saying. 

I was at a USAF technical school in GA in 2001. I was introducing Nebraska football to a buddy. Dive left, Dive right, Shortside option, Fullback trap, etc. He was like, "Is this all they do?!?" I was like, "Yeah. It's great isn't it!!" He did not agree 😂

From UNL

• With the win, Nebraska improved to 18-8 on the season, tying its best mark after 26 games in the Big Ten era (2017-18).
  • Nebraska improved to 16-1 at home this season, including 8-0 in Big Ten action. The 16 home wins matches the arena record set in 2017-18 (16-1).
  • Nebraska held Penn State to a season-low 49 points, as the Nittany Lions came in averaging 75.8 points per game. Penn State’s previous season low was 61 on two occasions, most recently in a 61-46 win over Rutgers on Jan. 31.
  • The 49 points allowed was NU’s second-lowest total allowed this season (46 at Kansas State). It was the fewest points allowed to a Big Ten opponent since holding Minnesota to 49 points in a 52-49 win on Jan. 20, 2015.
  • Nebraska held Penn State to 33.3 percent shooting, the second straight opponent under 35 percent and the sixth straight under 43 percent. The 33.3 percent shooting was PSU’s third-lowest shooting effort of the season.
  • Nebraska improved to 13-0 when holding opponents to 70 point or less.
  • Nebraska out-rebounded Penn State 42-31, its highest rebounding margin since a +14 against Northwestern on Jan. 20.
  • The Huskers have now made 241 three-pointers this season, which moves them up to the fifth-highest total in program history.
  • Keisei Tominaga’s 17 points marked his 16th double-figures game of the season.
  • Juwan Gary scored 13 points to mark the 12th time he’s scored in double figures this season. Gary, who also grabbed six boards and had two steals, was a team-best +24 in 31 minutes of work.
  • Rienk Mast earned his 16th double-figures game of the season with 12 points. He fell one rebound shy of his sixth double-double of the season.

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

From UNL

• With the win, Nebraska improved to 18-8 on the season, tying its best mark after 26 games in the Big Ten era (2017-18).
  • Nebraska improved to 16-1 at home this season, including 8-0 in Big Ten action. The 16 home wins matches the arena record set in 2017-18 (16-1).
  • Nebraska held Penn State to a season-low 49 points, as the Nittany Lions came in averaging 75.8 points per game. Penn State’s previous season low was 61 on two occasions, most recently in a 61-46 win over Rutgers on Jan. 31.
  • The 49 points allowed was NU’s second-lowest total allowed this season (46 at Kansas State). It was the fewest points allowed to a Big Ten opponent since holding Minnesota to 49 points in a 52-49 win on Jan. 20, 2015.
  • Nebraska held Penn State to 33.3 percent shooting, the second straight opponent under 35 percent and the sixth straight under 43 percent. The 33.3 percent shooting was PSU’s third-lowest shooting effort of the season.
  • Nebraska improved to 13-0 when holding opponents to 70 point or less.
  • Nebraska out-rebounded Penn State 42-31, its highest rebounding margin since a +14 against Northwestern on Jan. 20.
  • The Huskers have now made 241 three-pointers this season, which moves them up to the fifth-highest total in program history.
  • Keisei Tominaga’s 17 points marked his 16th double-figures game of the season.
  • Juwan Gary scored 13 points to mark the 12th time he’s scored in double figures this season. Gary, who also grabbed six boards and had two steals, was a team-best +24 in 31 minutes of work.
  • Rienk Mast earned his 16th double-figures game of the season with 12 points. He fell one rebound shy of his sixth double-double of the season.

I look at some of these Records now kind of Slackjawed. I walk away from most of these Wins thinking our BEST Basketball is still out in front of us. But these Numbers do indicate they’re accomplishing some Special things. 

1 hour ago, Handy Johnson said:

I look at some of these Records now kind of Slackjawed. I walk away from most of these Wins thinking our BEST Basketball is still out in front of us. But these Numbers do indicate they’re accomplishing some Special things. 

Go and look at the team's cumulative stats on huskers.com, and it's a tournament quality team they have right now. Time to prove it at Indiana. GBR

1 hour ago, AuroranHusker said:

Go and look at the team's cumulative stats on huskers.com, and it's a tournament quality team they have right now. Time to prove it at Indiana. GBR

Take our CURRENT Resume & then add B1G Tournament Champion to it. That’s a Top 5 Seed, Right…???

Phenomenal effort today. 

Allick’s rebound in the corner among three PSU guys, where he had seemingly no shot to get to the ball and got there anyway, was a top 5 play for me this year.  Great team rebounding overall.  

Hoiberg is such a great defender.  Best perimeter defense since Strickland imo.  

This isn’t the most talented NU team I’ve seen, but they do have talent.  What they definitely are is the smartest NU team I have EVER seen.  When a team has this kind of IQ and fundamentals, they win games like this one, in this fashion.  They really, really know who they are.  

18 minutes ago, KoH said:
10 hours ago, Fullbacksympathy said:

Hoiberg is such a great defender.  Best perimeter defense since Strickland imo.  

No offense to Sam or Stickland, but don’t forget about a guy named Cookie Belcher. 

Expand  

Cookie is still one of the best perimeter defenders in the history of college basketball